This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why devs don't understand double jump

The reason the devs gave for removing double jump was that since people used it all the time thus removing it and giving jump more height would be enough.

That silly because double jump does not give you more height it gives you more flexibility.

1. If I want more height i will double jump quickly.
    2. If I want more length in my jump, i will pause between the jumps.
    3. If I am mid dodge and someone fires a rocket at where i am heading then i will jump to get out of the way.
    4. If I want to dodge rockets aimed at my feet, i will single jump or dodge.

and so on and so forth. It adds to the players toolkit and makes the game much better in my opinion. Removing it just makes the game more about who gets the jump on on first imo. I am sure people would not complain about the rockets it double jump was in the game.

Edit: I feel that some people think that adding double jump will make the game floaty(like 2k4) But thats not the case. If you tweak the air time and the jump high you can still have a very grounded and tight game.
    Last edited by Nortorm; 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM.

I and many others disagree. We say Doublejumping ruined the game.

Comment

Your reason for that? Since when is taking away agency from player a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nortorm View Post
        Your reason for that? Since when is taking away agency from player a good thing?
        Things like double jump that keep you in the air longer add more complexity to level design and encourage (though, not force) mappers to build maps in specific undesirable ways. You only really need to look at UT2003 through UT3 to see evidence of that.

I agree with you that it added some depth to the movement but I personally think that knee slide has the potential to add the same kind of depth without causing any of the problems. Air control is a different beast altogether.
        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

You don't have to increase the total combined height of the jump though. That way the levels will not have to be changed much.

Comment

Toxikk is going to be a very good option for us who love the double jump.
            Last edited by Axis_Zaibot; 04-18-2015, 03:15 AM.
            ◄ Competitive Map Pack 2
            ◄ Competitive Map Pack 1
            ◄ Characters Concepts

Comment

Double jump is much, much bad. You already have much fast dodge with current movements, and yet want be able to double jump? Just is not so easy avoid rockets, bio etc because the projectile speed is fast too. But i have hopes they gonna these weapons be harder to use.
              .:KmK:.Raizen

Please, watch this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHdce_3wgcs
              CTF-Extorcion-CE (Visual Beta) https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...cion_CE-Remake (Pak available)
              CTF-Ranel WIP https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...F-Ranel-Remake

Comment

I don't know why this is a topic. There will be a mod for it. Having played all iterations of UT and still playing 2K4 regularly..my group has had no problem adapting to the lack of double jump. It doesn't need to be a core element.
                Clan:{TDC}The Demolition Crew
                Steam Group:UT-LGI
                http://cache.www.gametracker.com/ser...FFF_000000.png
                http://cache.www.gametracker.com/ser...FFF_000000.png
                UT4:192.223.24.155:7777
                http://streambadge.com/twitch/custom.../tdcmatrix.png

Comment

Well I agree double jump should be in the game. It adds complexity to the movement and more range of motion. The current state of ut4 pre-alpha with a single jump and almost no air control is really unfortunate. Movement is too restricted and Epic hasn't addressed air control at all iirc. Ironically, ut4 pre-alpha uses ut3's double jump activation for boots, unlike ut99 which forced you to boot jump.

That said, there have been countless threads already about double jump so it's a pretty played out topic. Another reason Epic won't bring back double jump is because then people will start asking for dodge jump again. It'd be a snowball effect. There is already a mutator for double jump and dodge jump, but unless ut4 pre-alpha is extremely popular then it will just divide the small player count and kill the game faster.

***Disclaimer: I'm fine without double jump and do want the game to succeed. I've been playing a lot of ctf recently and enjoying it.
                  Join us for friendly UT4 Pugs at irc.globalgamers.net #ut4pugs

Comment

Originally posted by Infra` View Post
                    Ironically, ut4 pre-alpha uses ut3's double jump activation for boots, unlike ut99 which forced you to boot jump.
                    You could bind a separate key for boot jumps in UT1 by using walk | jump. I hope you can do the same in UT4 as I find myself using boot jump accidentally quiet often

Comment

They can make a mod for it, but pls don't make things like this standard. Everyone should be able to set up servers and communities the way they want to and therefore we need certain freedom, aka options are good, implementing things that change the entire game completely as standard is a very dangerous thing. We(I speak for the community I was part of in UT99 and plan to have in UT4 as well) for example want the UT99 moves without walldodge, dodge jump, double jump whatever and the UT99 rocket launcher. It shouldn't be too much to ask that there will simply be options, mods and muts for this to be possible. All I'm saying is that these movement change things should only be implemented as options, if any.

Comment

Then this game is as good as dead. You people and your inertia is the reason this game will not succeed. You will keep dividing this comunity and soon there will be no people playing.

I mean if you like UT99 so much just go back to playing that. UT3 was ruined because it tried to be too much like UT99.

I want a UT game where the mechanics have evolved over all these years, not a damn clone of UT99

Comment

Double jump is rubbish, you will have it as a mod and i wont be playing in those servers. Think this game will die if no double jump yeah what ever.

Edit: Funny that the most successful and still with the most players even 15 years later is the one with no double jump and wall dodge.
                          Last edited by code187; 04-18-2015, 02:35 PM.
                          Join the community Facebook page
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

I think this game will die, if the community mods every little thing and goes on dividing an already small community.

If you dislike double jump maybe you should get better at the game and learning new things instead of trying clinging onto a one and a half decade old game. I to used to play UT99 a long time ago, but i learnt the UT2K4 mechanics and now am learning the UT4 mechanics. But you have too much inertia and are too opposed to learning new things.

Comment

Originally posted by Nortorm View Post
                              I think this game will die, if the community mods every little thing and goes on dividing an already small community.

If you dislike double jump maybe you should get better at the game and learning new things instead of trying clinging onto a one and a half decade old game. I to used to play UT99 a long time ago, but i learnt the UT2K4 mechanics and now am learning the UT4 mechanics. But you have too much inertia and are too opposed to learning new things.
                              Im very good at all UTs buddy, i can teach you how to play without double jump if you like so you dont go blaming your lack of skill on the lack of jumping ability.
                              Join the community Facebook page
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Working...
                              X