Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best movement and weapon balance so far... tHANKS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rAge. View Post
    We (me at least ) just wanna the game where tactic means a little more than mindless rush with any (deadly) gun. Something like that should be punished, but right now it's easiest and really effective tactic... I want the game, where fights are longer than few seconds and you need to work for your frag.
    Exactly. It seem like Epic is worried that newcomers used to military shooters where everything dies from two bullets will find it unrealistic if weapons don't kill everything in two hits too, and that perhaps they'll be more willing to keep on playing if they finish matches with K/D scores of 12/45 instead of -2/31.
    Last edited by luauDesign; 07-21-2015, 12:03 PM.
    DM-1on1-Deck8 | DM-1on1-BirdCage | DM-Complexo (GoldenEye Redesign) | DM-ShootThemMalcomsGood | DM-1on1-Toxicity

Designer at Candango Games. Check my Gamasutra Blog.

Comment

Yes, close combat outcomes are too random due to insane damage of weapons, particularly when players are rushing to get belt/armor.

i've just rewatched some amazing ut2004 duels (gohlink you are amazing). Combats are so intensive during several seconds and not limited to one or two shots... I miss that.
      Cunni, 37 years old, 16 years of UT, 90% CTF, 10% Duel
      https://www.twitch.tv/cunni_ut
      http://plays.tv/u/Cunni
      Discord PUG Community

Comment

Originally posted by Cunni View Post
        Yes, close combat outcomes are too random due to insane damage of weapons, particularly when players are rushing to get belt/armor.

i've just rewatched some amazing ut2004 duels (gohlink you are amazing). Combats are so intensive during several seconds and not limited to one or two shots... I miss that.
        So much this! It's always been this UT's biggest flaw for me personally, combat is just not exciting enough due to how quickly they are over. It's not just UT2k4 but the same goes for both UT3 and UT99, the combats are in average longer lasting. That makes Duels not that satisfying as they can be and in DM especially it results in rushfest of a fragging, you're just all out aggressive finding targets to fire them shots at watching them drop like flies left and right instead of trying to take a more strategic approach to the kills.
        Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-21-2015, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos.Engine View Post
          To me UT2004 is clearly the most spectacular fps ever made. Fast weapon switching and varied movements make it so much more fun to play (or watch) than any other game !)
          Yup. My top game ever and for me the best shooter ever made. I'm still hoping UT4's movement and combat can wow me like 2k4. The multi wall dodge and wall-running/sliding is great, and im hoping the crouch slide becomes as much or more fun to use as dodge-jump, but perhaps more situational.

I love UT99 for different reasons - better scaling, greater atmosphere and really powerful, grungy-futuristic sounding and feeling weapons, some really classic and amazing maps, brilliant gore...etc. But 2k4 movement was more fun for me.
          Last edited by TotesAmaze; 07-23-2015, 04:45 AM.
          UT4: CTF-Defiance, CTF-Melt.
          Epic - This video made me smile: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-p.../2300-6418948/
          "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

That frag movie is boring and just show 1 map, i can show u frag movie about ut99 way more skilled and spectacular.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKPAxkJZJrA I mean, we already know the game isnt going to be like 2k4, that game died in 2 years, while ut99 is still being played at competitive level. People on 2k4 played mods like onslaught and other experiments, while CTF was a huge fail and 1v1 didnt even make it to a big name tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos.Engine View Post
              Amazing movie !! To me UT2004 is clearly the most spectacular fps ever made. Fast weapon switching and varied movements make it so much more fun to play (or watch) than any other game !

Back to the topic, my disappointment in UT4 made me reinstall UT2004 (6-7 years after quitting). I wanted to check if I had grown too old for this or if UT4 isn't satisfying enough... and the answer is... : nope I still love UT2004 and I don't love UT4 (just yet).

Ok in UT2004 you can argue that the dodge-jump distance is a bit excessive, or that the shield is a bit too strong, or probably other things... but I still think UT4 weapon and movement balance has a lot to learn from UT2004 (especially shock combo radius and damage fall-off, rockets damage and splash damage, flak primary damage especially at mid range, etc...)

I'm sure UT4 will improve a lot in the months to come, and I hope the goal is to make the game funnier to play and watch, more impressive and spectacular, with a lot of choices in movements (sliding might be a good idea, once it'll be balanced) and in ways to kill your opponents.
              And I believe UT2004 should be used at inspiration to reach that goal (I'm not asking for a clone at all, I just want UT4 to go way beyond and become the best game ever )
              Go to that guy's channel and watch a duel of his. He uses only railgun and rocket. The guy surely is arrogant and cocky in his talking but there lies some truths. It's not spectacular a game when you use effectively only 2-3 weapons

Comment

He obviously was just trying to make as many headshots as possible while playing against a weaker opponent. If you want real play, look for some old esl or wcg duels: https://youtu.be/Q695PVZ4nOw (show me your scaling problems or any evidence of hitscan dominance in this duel btw)
                Last edited by Aberiu; 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM.
                ʕ ´ ل͜ ´ ʔ

Comment

Both 2k4 and 99 are quality ( different ) games with high skill ceilings. Can't say the same thing about ut3/4 sadly ( so far )
                  Last edited by wheredaweaps; 07-23-2015, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by THENUMBER1 View Post
                    That frag movie is boring and just show 1 map, i can show u frag movie about ut99 way more skilled and spectacular.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKPAxkJZJrA I mean, we already know the game isnt going to be like 2k4, that game died in 2 years, while ut99 is still being played at competitive level. People on 2k4 played mods like onslaught and other experiments, while CTF was a huge fail and 1v1 didnt even make it to a big name tournament.
                    I wasn't basing my comment only on this video, but i don't find it boring. Bleh's movie is great, but ut99 is not as spectacular. Plus all the best kills are those done with jump boots so it proves extra movement adds to the game depth and the "wow effect" mentioned by TotesAmaze

--> 1v1 in "no big name tournament" ? sorry if the WCG aren't big enough for you...

Originally posted by Cunni View Post

Totally agree, the duels were much more interesting to watch (even for people like me who aren't really into duels).

Originally posted by TotesAmaze View Post
                    Yup. My top game ever and for me the best shooter ever made. I'm still hoping UT4's movement and combat can wow me like 2k4. The multi wall dodge and wall-running/sliding is great, and im hoping the crouch slide becomes as much or more fun to use as dodge-jump, but perhaps more situational.
                    Yeah exactly my point

Comment

Working...
                    X