No announcement yet.

Rank Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oww, the 4th tier being beginner (green), correct? I overlooked that one . Does it have 9 rankings? I have seen mock-ups where it had just 3 or 5.

And I agree, the bronze borders came out a bit thinner than I expected. Hardly visible on 30x30 atm. I think the frame thickness I used (for no specific reason) were 2px, 3px and 6px for bronze, silver, gold respectively, so there is some leeway. Sadly, the way I created them didn't allow me to change thickness after finishing the frame (or at least, not that I could find).

Comment

Yes, Green = Tier 0 (Beginner), Bronze = Tier 1, Silver = Tier 2 and Gold = Tier 3.

Exo, here is what I'd like to see and try to get people here to rally around.

1. I'd like to go with the metallic style for now. We can always remove it and go flat shaded but these should, in my opinion look like medals.
      2. I'd go with the following outer shapes: Tier 0 = circle, Tier 1 = Hexagon, Tier 2 = Octagon, Tier 3 = diamond/jewel you have now.
      3. Level 1-3 are small diamonds, 4-6 are chevrons, 7 is 1 small star, 8 = 2 small stars
      4. For level 9 I'd like to see 3 small stars and one with the skull.
      5. I'd like to see them with and without the extra flair on the borders.
      6. I'd like the Bronze to be deeper, more redish. Right now it's too close to gold. (http://tinyurl.com/hf27y7z)

Of course show it at big and small sizes. Steve is away on vacation this week but I'd love to get a fully flesh out concept to pass around with him when he get's back.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
        Yes, Green = Tier 0 (Beginner), Bronze = Tier 1, Silver = Tier 2 and Gold = Tier 3.

Exo, here is what I'd like to see and try to get people here to rally around.

1. I'd like to go with the metallic style for now. We can always remove it and go flat shaded but these should, in my opinion look like medals.
        2. I'd go with the following outer shapes: Tier 0 = circle, Tier 1 = Hexagon, Tier 2 = Octagon, Tier 3 = diamond/jewel you have now.
        3. Level 1-3 are small diamonds, 4-6 are chevrons, 7 is 1 small star, 8 = 2 small stars
        5. I'd like to see them with and without the extra flair on the borders.
        6. I'd like the Bronze to be deeper, more redish. Right now it's too close to gold. (http://tinyurl.com/hf27y7z)

Of course show it at big and small sizes. Steve is away on vacation this week but I'd love to get a fully flesh out concept to pass around with him when he get's back.
        OK, I'm on it.

I think this will require some time to complete. I hope I'll be ready tomorrow.
        - got sig? -

Comment

Can I also suggest that you put on the XP stars for the level you have currently attained. This is partially because some people like to level up and have it shown on screen, but also because I think it gives an important reflection of a players ability. e.g. a Green 3 with 5 XP stars is clearly not a new player... they just haven't played that mode yet. It's important and useful information to have by each player.

The use of those XP stars may also affect the ranking icon stars.
          Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Here's what I did.

Colorizing is still my weak side Metallic green looks kinda Green Lantern-ish to me, so I's suggested make green tier flat (or holographic; and also reserve deep blue holo for some super-tier). Bronze color is still hands down bad. Gold needs more yellow to stand out among other icons.

Icon table itself (w/o XP stars, big and small, modified frames and tri-star/skull for 9th grade):

(three additional bronze icons feature 'hex-fitting' diamonds)

Scoreboard mock-up:

Stats page:

Hubs page:

Extra 1. XP stars ("...staaaaaars!.." © Nemesis from Resident Evil)

Extra 2. @GCMuppet 's design (personally I like them flat more)
            Attached Files
            Last edited by exo7341; 06-09-2016, 02:04 AM.
            - got sig? -

Comment

Originally posted by exo7341 View Post

Extra 2. @GCMuppet 's design (personally I like them flat more)
              More good work there Exo.

I think these shapes work well and make a very clear transition between the bronze / silver / gold. The 1 - 4 ranks are also very clear.

I do wonder a bit whether the skulls are over-used. For example, a bronze 6 kind of looks like a more dangerous player than a silver 1, but the silver player would probably be a fair amount better.

So it makes me wonder whether the 5 -> 9 need a different symbol. It's not easy to pick something that shows clear progression, though!
              Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

I really like em
                http://twitter.com/PeteNub/

Comment

I think the boarders should be a slightly different shade from the skulls/chevrons/stars/etc so they pop more. I like the designs a lot though, especially the gold shapes :]
                  :|

Comment

Nice execution exo, but the system behind it is just bad ...

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                    To have more consistency behind the system I'd go like this:

Square (beginner)
                    Hexagon (bronze)
                    Octagon (silver)
                    Decagon (gold)

Other than that, I really don't understand why we need 4 (!) different shapes to distinguish the ranks 1-9? That adds sooooo much confusion. I thought the Halo System is a good example of how NOT to do it.
                    The "diamond" shape for the gold levels looks strange imo. And Stars should not be used twice (challenges and ranks).

I'd still say go with one shape for the ranks, and think of a way to show 9 ranks in a consistent manner. I think making chevrons filled only by the half is a good example of doing that.
                    Keep it simple! Even more so, if the icons are so small on the scoreboard. You can always add more detail for a bigger icon on the player card.

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                    We need 3: Bronze, Silver, and Gold, and they need space for a number in the middle. We'd like each to look distinctly different (not just color) so you can tell rank at a glance.
                    Btw, what happend to the requirement to add a number for the rank? Have I missed sth?
                    Last edited by Danielito; 06-09-2016, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielito View Post
                      Btw, what happend to the requirement to add a number for the rank? Have I missed sth?
                      I think a new possibility appeared when Big_Black_Thunder showed us metallic chevrons. Since then we've been trying to combine that style with original request. But as I see it (at least for now), 9 ranks are too numerous to fill them all without signs repetitions on one side, and confusion on other side. Meanwhile, numbers are still bulletproof/safe design - natural as a progression, and screen-space efficient...
                      Last edited by exo7341; 06-09-2016, 01:21 PM.
                      - got sig? -

Comment

Amazing job Exo, that looks so much cleaner when they are polished up. Although I agree that the 'flat' look had something to it as well.
                        Now that the borders are the same thickness, the overuse of skulls becomes much more clear (and makes me realize how much the border thickness affected intuitive positioning of the icons). Although the spiked skulls may look cool by themselves, in this format they don't work that well.

I think what Flikswich mentioned about popping the frames a bit more makes sense. The internal icons still 'outscale' the upgrade in border frame. Then, in addition to downscaling the rank 9 icons complexity a little, it makes sense to draw more attention to the border frame. Color shades will definitely help, I think, as well as maybe a bit more punch on shapes around the frame. Possibly border thickness but I'm not sure if that would compromise the rewarding feeling a rank badge should have for lower level icons.

Also, I have to admit the stars are less visually intruding than I imagined. They look clean and aren't hurting readability necessarily. I'm still a bit on the fence about showing experience progression in the same icon as skill. The two aren't necessarily related, and for each example of a guy showing off is an example of some level 60 who is laughed at in bronze with his 6 stars.

Comment

[MENTION=258989]exo7341[/MENTION]: Dig the simple shape progression as a hook overall.

One concern I'd throw out there is that these still have a lot of negative space in your latest iteration and therefore will get lost a lot more easily at game res (also depending on wether or not they will have a solid background to contrast against or not). Similarly I dig the inner icon progression up until the first skull, past that it gets a bit too noisy are derivative for my taste. I'd rather see experimentation with continuing the evolution of the inner icon itself as opposed to starting to stack amounts of repeated elements (i.e. instead of more modified skulls use diamond etc..)

Anyhoo, nice work!

Comment

Looks like we have a few things to try for future iterations...

1) try two-tone badges (icon brighter then border?)
                            2) try to compose all this into non-progressing borders (to save space)

BTW, @Clawfist, we already tried design with non-changing borders (though all tiers were circle-based) here. That time I was seeing this as too repetitive (circles all around).
                            - got sig? -

Comment

Originally posted by exo7341 View Post
                              BTW, @Clawfist, we already tried design with non-changing borders (though all tiers were circle-based) here. That time I was seeing this as too repetitive (circles all around).
                              I wasn't suggesting the borders don't change - I was suggesting to move away from keeping the skull around for the last 4 ranks and using less negative space overall so they don't look as busy at game scale.

Comment

Just to promote a little bit more consistency behind the rank system.

I'd even go that far to remove the borders again, as they get harder to distinguish on smaller sizes (everything becomes a circle). Color coding imo is enough for the ranks on the scoreboard.

[screenshot]http://i.imgur.com/1yVcAEX.png[/screenshot]

Comment

Working...
                                X