UI Navigation consistency.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UI Navigation consistency.

I feel like this is something that 2kx got right.

Currently, while connected to a game, menu navigation is a nightmare. It's also something difficult to "learn" as your server travel time is limited, and that's where the real "game initiated windows" fun begins. Maybe the only place where 2kx fell short was needing two scoreboard binds for toggle and "peek", which you kind of had to script, but I couldn't think of another way to do it. It also wasn't a stretch from "|onrelease type" for a quick console in UT that didn't type what ever key you bound it too every time. Really, the current "escape menu toggles score, while score bind peeks" works okay.

Lack of some basic scripting aside, what's most agitating is the current cinematic, and map vote. As the cinematics are in place of the game, I feel everything that could be done from the game should be done the same over the cinematic. You pretty much can't do anything, it seems, except maybe with the mouse. I am also pretty sure you can't close map vote with the escape key. It's in between maps, you're not aiming, maybe your chatting, and both hands are on the keyboard. Nothing should require the mouse. I also wouldn't mind it if map vote was on a key, or a menu button, instead of auto initiated, but I understand pushing it for testing. Also, when going to the map vote, or escape menu, you really aren't anywhere but with the mouse cursor. The need to click on the chat field to type is silly. If the screen is only mouse, and type, why do you have to click to type? Also, if I start a chat message in one prompt, and another interrupts it, like if the match ends, I hit my say key, start typing, and map vote comes up, it would be nice if my chat message was in the map vote chat prompt, and I could seamlessly continue to type that message.

I know it's early, and a lot of this will change, like better integration of the escape menu/scoreboard/mapvote into one "screen" and so on, but in the mean time, a few simple things like "escape always closes out of everything but the game" and "console is always on top" would be nice.
    Originally posted by Mysterial
    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

I'm not sure about current system, as I haven't used it enough since the last change, however yes, UT2004 had great consistency in menu flow and I'd say it should be a role model for what options are accessible at any given time.

Originally posted by -AEnubis- View Post
    I am also pretty sure you can't close map vote with the escape key.
    IIRC you could before the last build, but now that this menu has changed I haven't tried that yet.
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Comment

I mostly agree with the above. I've discussed this in greater detail here. Clicking to chat is probably a bug (mentioned in that thread too).
      Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
      "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
      Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Working...
      X