Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The UT interface - end of game

Hello,

great fun with UT4, thanks to all who are making it happen.

Here is my suggestions / pet peeves with the ending of each game.
    ** This is mostly based on CTF end of game.. I don't play DM **

** and Sorry if they are known issues, I don't follow the forums as much these days **

1.) Eye focus problem
    There is too much information and not enough time soak any of it or understand it.

2.) Post game poses:
    - With so many transparent layers, there is no good post-game posing :-).. I mean, what's the use of post game poses, if you can't see anybody?
    - All the players in the circle idea needs some attention. I'm not sure of the solution, but I think we really need to see the players well at the end somehow..
    this is the perfect chance for Epic to showcase all the paid add-on stuff.. hats, sunglasses, etc..

3.) Chat
    - I have counted 3 distinct chat disconnects at post game... so annoying.. what I mean is that after a game, you go to type a message, and get cut-off half message
    because the screen jumps to something else. Post-game is a time to interact with what just happened... or to spam like crazy if I know anything about the history of UT ;-) (that's another thread)

4.) Cut-away screens.
    - This is sort of with the rest of the comments, but basically, there is too many screens / animations at the end of a match.. it's confusing, annoying, and over-complicated.
    I love data-rich stuff and diversity of options... it really adds that extra quality to gaming, but if it's not presented well, it's just confusion.

Summary: In my field (Web Design / programming), we have library's like jquery and bootstrap that pack a powerful feature set... however, the great thing about them is that the depth of the feature set is only there if you choose to use it, otherwise it can be as simple as formatting a nice button consistently... so maybe we could take a clue from this idea. Keep it simple by default, but with options to get into the depth if we desire. The most important things at the end of each match are:

- Dancing around like tripping hippies at a musical festival
    - The scores and very basic stats.
    - Chatting

The above should last a bit, then go on to the voting.

The other stuff should be optional to reach.

my .02ยข I know it's a WIP, so keep up the good work!

Thanks!
    -=uff-Da=-

Concepts:
    BR - CutThroat | BR - Volleyminton |

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
    3.) Chat
    - I have counted 3 distinct chat disconnects at post game... so annoying.. what I mean is that after a game, you go to type a message, and get cut-off half message
    because the screen jumps to something else. Post-game is a time to interact with what just happened... or to spam like crazy if I know anything about the history of UT ;-) (that's another thread)
    I totally feel you on this, and I'm sure everyone else does too. lol
    Work:
    Gametypes: Lockdown
    Mutators: Moving Combos Only

Comment

I'm gonna add, I don't think the end-of-game screen is necessary for single player, when I lose a game, I'm usually just frustrated and want to replay the match as soon as possible, and really do not give a **** about how many double kills Skakruk has had this match.

Maybe add in either a replay or exit button? I've started to exit the game seconds before the end because of how much faster it is to do if I know I will lose, simply because I do not want to wait for the credits to roll.

Comment

I pretty much agree with everything in here. I may be old-school, but it would be great to just have a split screen: Scoreboard with team and YOUR individual stats on one side and the groups of players on the other. We could have button toggles for more in depth analysis of other players' stats etc. while keeping the end of game time equal to what it is now.

As it is now, trying to consume all the information that is flying by in the per-player screens is not only overwhelming, but outright confusing at times. 99% of the time I want to see my individual stats and the screens just move too fast to be able to keep a focus on it.

-Jeep
        Last edited by OIIIIIIIO; 10-25-2015, 12:08 PM. Reason: Needed to insert a space.
        -Jeep

Comment

Originally posted by UffDa View Post
          3.) Chat
          Actually there was the same problem in UT2004 when at the end of a map when the mapvote menu appeared : it was a separate chat and it was already annoying. I was very surprised to see this annoyance return in UT4.

I believe only the regular in-game chat should be allowed to exist (remove the post-game screen chat and the mapvote chat, and just let the regular one be accessible during them). And everyone will be happy

Comment

It would be great if you could actually close the post game. So far when you click "close" nothing happens except slight zooming in. Inbetween matches is usually THE time to quit from the server and it just doesnt work.

Comment

The stats are mostly over my head and what I want to do is connect with people after a game. At least i think the chat should be split from the rest of the post-game ui - perhaps a sidebar while the stats etc get displayed separately without interrupting the chat.

I think community should be emphasised wherever possible.

The rotating information after the game is also a little frustrating. it feels slow and most of the time you just don't want to look at it. i might be wrong, after all, i am the_hack who just go for the launcher as soon as i spawn. but perhaps it could be condensed and displayed alongside map voting? top and bottom split for stats and voting and a sidebar for chat, perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos.Engine View Post
                Actually there was the same problem in UT2004 when at the end of a map when the mapvote menu appeared : it was a separate chat and it was already annoying. I was very surprised to see this annoyance return in UT4.

I believe only the regular in-game chat should be allowed to exist (remove the post-game screen chat and the mapvote chat, and just let the regular one be accessible during them). And everyone will be happy
                I agree. The chat functionality should just be in one place (unless a player pulls up a dedicated chat window similar to the chat history window that could be summoned in UT 2004). Just simply put it at the bottom of the page.

As for Mapvote -- it would be good to have a Tab-based option. One Tab to see the MapVote. One tab to see the scoreboard/chat. That way players could easily toggle between the two.
                UT4 CTF Maps: CTF-Whiplash | CTF-Sidewinder | CTF-Highpoint | CTF-Hardcore | CTF-Tubes-Of-Spam

UT99 CTF Maps: CTF-DagnysBigAssMap-V2 | CTF-Dagnys-P****WhIpPeD | CTF-Dagnys-Dark-Delight-LE102 | CTF-Dagnys-Tubes-Of-Spam

Comment

Working...
                X