Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New HUB naming convention is a step backwards (European perspective)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HUB naming convention is a step backwards (European perspective)

With the Halloween update all of the hubs in Europe were renamed to match the same convention as the USA hubs using a 3 letter country abbreviation and a bracketed location.

Hubs look like this right now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hubs.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	359979

This is basically a step back from previously. The abbreviations aren't accurate and the server location is trivial information compared to US servers. Previously the Belgian Hubs were simply called Central Europe and this was actually much more useful and functional for people in Central / Western Europe because we have lots of small countries (relative to the USA) in dense proximity to each-other to the point where it's basically inconsequential if the server is located in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Poland, France etc. So really it's more functional to have 'Central Europe' be the name of these hubs as that's more akin to specifying Central, East Coast or West Coast US in terms of coverage.

Relative to the size of the US, we look like this:

Name:	tumblr_mq48lk6GzF1rasnq9o1_1280.jpg
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	359977

Another point is that the correct European country abbreviations are typically 2 letters. e.g: Belgium should be BE, Italy should be IT, Russia should be RU. Etc. See more about this here. So if it is necessary to specify the country where the server is hosted this is at least the right convention for it. As far as I know ITA means nothing and BEL is more commonly used for Belarussian (language).

Lastly, having the specific server location in brackets i.e: St. Ghislain is probably the least informational aspect, at least for the Central Europe hubs. I can say confidently that 99% of people outside of Belgium don't know where St. Ghislain is. It's a small place in an already small country. Italy is a fairly big country but not to the point where the city a server is hosted in becomes a necessary piece of information. The one exception to this point is the Russian hub, due to the size of Russia it's much more functional to specify that the hub is hosted in Moscow, as it's a major place and everybody knows where it's situated, and that's especially useful for people in Russia as it's such a big place to know it's hosted there.
    EU zones for reference:

Name:	European-time-zones-europe-1032494_600_632.gif
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	359978

Ultimately, a far more sensible convention for the Central European hubs would be: Central Europe (Belgium), Central Europe (Italy), and Russia (Москва).
    Last edited by Mangley; 10-25-2015, 10:04 PM.

• replied
    Aha! It's good to know even stuff like this gets discussed in the war room. Thanks!
    If only you all knew.

It's also worth noting that specific areas in Europe, particularly Scandinavia have great fiberoptic infrastructure and reach to neighboring countries, an area like Stockholm Sweden would be likely to provide great ping to Finland, Norway, Denmark, all popular UT playing countries.
    We are kind of bound to where our two hosting companies have access points right now. Hopefully in places that need a hub and have a good thriving community, we can get a trusted hub up and running.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I couldn't agree more on Mangleys post. By seeing the hub list, I initially thought BEL would be Belarus, but I knew that a central EU hub exists and Italy isn't central, so my last thought was BEL must be Belgium . 2-letter codes are more common if not used entirely (international football... soccer ... coverage is using 3 letter codes though).

Naming should be like that so sorting makes sense (even for dates; ISO 8601). From largest region to smallest. This would result into a less clustered list, grouped by regional relations. I also think such locations should be in a separate line/column.
    Europe | North | Sweden *
    Europe | Central/West | Belgium *
    Europe | South | Italy *
    Europe | East | Russia/West *
    Asia - Russia *
    Asia - South *
    Australia *
    (similar for Africa, South America, North America)

* any additional location

Regarding that EU zones reference, I wouldn't use it. Iceland players wouldn't want to play with players from Portugal. Same as Sweden with Italy. The routing is too long. Even for central europe players you can get a high ping on UK servers occassionally. I would choose something like this.

Name:	europe_asd.png
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	342215

The term western europe is different and is not fully geographical. During the world wars and after the 2nd, Europe was mostly split into 2 parts, western and eastern. Therefore Western Europe would be like North, South and Central (without the most eastern countries) from my image combined and Eastern Europe.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by RZE View Post
    ...And the thread appears! We had this debate in the war-room. We ultimately agreed with you about St. Ghislain (Shout out to our fans out there ) and decided to name it "BEL (Central) Hub 1". Still wrong by your information so I'll take the blame on that one. Unfortunately the wrong set of requested .ini's got applied so we got stuck with what we got. I might spend some time trying to fix it later in the week and see if I can get them all closer to something like what you've suggested.

Thanks for this European perspective and for continuing to prove Steve right.
    Aha! It's good to know even stuff like this gets discussed in the war room. Thanks!

Steve isn't allowed to be right until he fixes bots wrecking everybody with Link secondary fire though.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Central also psychologically just gives you the idea that you should ping decently to a hub with a high population.

If you're going to keep country names on some, use full names and focus on countries with actual high player densities or with good infrastructure. Pretty sure there aren't as many UT players in Belgium as opposed to Sweden or Finland, for instance.

It's also worth noting that specific areas in Europe, particularly Scandinavia have great fiberoptic infrastructure and reach to neighboring countries, an area like Stockholm Sweden would be likely to provide great ping to Finland, Norway, Denmark, all popular UT playing countries.
    Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 10-26-2015, 09:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Are there any English hubs at the moment? Would love to get my ping below 50, but I understand that there may not be enough players to have 2 hubs in every country atm.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ...And the thread appears! We had this debate in the war-room. We ultimately agreed with you about St. Ghislain (Shout out to our fans out there ) and decided to name it "BEL (Central) Hub 1". Still wrong by your information so I'll take the blame on that one. Unfortunately the wrong set of requested .ini's got applied so we got stuck with what we got. I might spend some time trying to fix it later in the week and see if I can get them all closer to something like what you've suggested.

Thanks for this European perspective and for continuing to prove Steve right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X