Include all important .ini settings in the UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    And beyond just having the options, having good descriptions of what they options do when they are on and off. Generic descriptions like "This reduces mouse lag at the cost of performance." are unclear. It reduces mouse lag when? When it's on? When it's off? Descriptions like that can usually be figured out but they should be more explicit, because sometimes they're so vague that I don't know if "on" or "off" will provide the desired effect.

Explicit on/off descriptions when an item is hovered over (tooltips) would be much appreciated and really help people out. I've always gone and researched the settings to figure out what's best for performance (like turning off dynamic lighting) and what things do (like one frame thread lag).

...but I shouldn't have to do all of that research. It should all be front-facing and clearly defined so users know what their options are.
    Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-14-2014, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by VampireJesus View Post
    like we did in U/UT99: http://oi39.tinypic.com/65x2fb.jpg
    Yeah! That's the thing I was referring to here:
    Originally posted by stombos View Post
    The first UT had an "advanced preferences" thing which allowed adjustment of specific values and features. While this was certainly a boon, it was also a tad inconvenient because the game would become windowed every time you entered preferences (at least when I did it), and the navigation was somewhat complicated for a casual player.
    "Advanced Options". My bad.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If we at least had access to the modern equivalent of this, like we did in U/UT99: http://oi39.tinypic.com/65x2fb.jpg. Though, a more straight-forward, user friendly approach with descriptions of each of the options would be welcome, too.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, no reason not to have it in the UI.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Include all important .ini settings in the UI

Include all important .ini settings in the UI

If you've edited your .ini files (UTEngine.ini, ut2004.ini, etc.) to achieve flat "picmip" textures or set your framerate cap or even create custom key binds (for throw weapon, reconnect, etc.) or what have you, you'll know what I'm talking about. The first UT had an "advanced preferences" thing which allowed adjustment of specific values and features. While this was certainly a boon, it was also a tad inconvenient because the game would become windowed every time you entered preferences (at least when I did it), and the navigation was somewhat complicated for a casual player.

In the new UT, let's do the advanced options/preferences section well and include all the "important" settings with easy navigation in the UI. Here's a (probably incomplete) list of some settings that I believe should be accessible through the UI:
    • Field of View (range is debatable)
    • Framerate Cap
    • LOD Bias
    • LOD Size (the "picmip" in UT3's UTEngine.ini)
    • Custom Crosshairs (this was an utter hassle in UT3 regarding UTWeapon.ini)
    • Message Beep
    • Enable/Disable Non-Team Chat (think Quake Live's cg_teamchatsonly)
    • Console Message Count (adjustable in UT3's UTGame.ini, changes limit of messages on screen)
    • Player and Weapon "Bob"

I also believe that we should be able to bind the following commands in the UI:
    • Reconnect
    • Disconnect
    • Quit
    • Spectate
    • Change Team
    • Throw Weapon
    • Drop Flag
    • Framerate Info (stat fps in UT3)
    • Net Info (stat net in UT3)

And maybe include an option to create custom chat binds in the UI, like text smileys or helpful team game binds ("EFC incoming!", "Base not secure!", etc.). I suppose some team messages could be used in the taunt section or whatever it's called (like "In position!" in UT3).

I may have forgotten some settings or something, but let me know what you think and what you all would like to see regarding this.
    Last edited by stombos; 05-13-2014, 09:22 PM.
Working...
X