Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unified Crosshair - Health, Armour, Weapon, Ammo...all in your line of sight - WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Unified Crosshair - Health, Armour, Weapon, Ammo...all in your line of sight - WIP

As I didn't keep a second post for myself for implementations, I'll just post with newest items at the top.

Concept 17E alongside implementation by Epic.

So it would seem that this concept has been implemented under the name of HUD elements. AWESOME!

Latest Concept: 17E

Latest design 17E for a unified crosshair which incorporates all the original UT4 HUD elements and a reduced version of @Dementiurge Horizontal Weapon Bar for weapon selection.

This is the closet I have been in being able to showcase my design intent.

For this prototype I've moved all the existing HUD elements closer to the center of the screen and lowered the scale to 0.7.

By using existing HUD elements, it will make it potentially easier to implement as the HUD elements already exist, thet just need to be rearranged and moved closer to the center of the screen.

The intent is that the the transparency will be lowered so that it does not obscure the user's view.

Yes the head of the paperdoll is directly under the crosshair

They are all embedded below:

17E – Overlayed on my favourite screenshot of me doing my first #RICHARDRUN

It allow for the Unified Crosshair to be displayed clearer in the context of its use. I am using this as my desktop background right now!

17E Without Background is transparent so that you can overlay it over some other image

17E with background is so that you can see what it actually looks like without overlaying

17E As Screenshot is viewing the concept it in its entirety

Implementations:

Type 15AB have been implemented:

So here is the fruit of Dementiurge Horizontal weapon bar effort resized - 15B. Here is same image after waiting for a while after weapon has switched.

This is just after weapon has switched, which is why it is so dark

https://ut.rushbase.net/Dementiurge/...wsNoEditor.pak
    https://ut.rushbase.net/Dementiurge/...wsNoEditor.pak

Note: Everywhere there is Proto it needs to be replaced with RB15b using instructions above.

ie:
    HW_WeaponBar_H_Proto.HW_WeaponBar_H_Proto

becomes

HW_WeaponBar_H_RB15b.HW_WeaponBar_H_RB15bProto

Concept:

After looking through my OneNote UT4 notebook I found this item:

A Quadrant Crosshair which unifies the Crosshair / Health / Armour / Weapon / Ammo Count.

My idea was to get rid of the HUD entirely, so that I am only looking at one point on the screen, the crosshair.
    It has all the information I need.

To get a better idea, zoom your browser window out when looking at the images below.

The design could be scaled up or down, ie: two values, three, four, five etc... but it would no longer be a quadrant.

It would become more like a radial crosshair and could potentially have a line come out from the center for each attribute.

Note: All colours would be about 50% translucent.

So I've done a quick mock up in Excel.

Quick sketch for Type 5A and 5B and 5C

Type 6A,6B,6C - Rotating Clockwise - Ammo, Armour, Health

Type 7A - Rotating Clockwise - Ammo, Armour, Health

Type 8B - From Center to Outer - Ammo, Armour, Health

Type 10ABC - Rotating Clockwise - Ammo, Armour, Health

Type 14A - Crosshair with Health and Armour

I find as I play most FPS I start to have tunnel vision and focus on the centrer of the screen.

So I do not look at health bar or what weapon I've got armed.

I play with weapon hidden and auto-switch disabled.

UT4 has custom crosshair for each weapon which is great and I've already started to recall which weapon is which after not playing for a long time.

Each of the custom crosshair's would still be in-affect, but this quadrant would allow for the data to sit at the center of the screen.

While this may be distracting for some players, the intent is that it would not be too overbearing so that it would add value.

Q1 - Health
    Q2 - Armour
    Q3 - Weapon Selected
    Q4 - Ammo for weapon

Attached are few rough mock ups
    Quadrant
    1A) Using values
    1B) Using values - Center justified
    2A) Using values and bar
    2B) Using values and bar - Center justified
    3) Using values and bar with overlay value
    4) Could use bar for ammo as well - NOT SHOWN
    Radial
    5A) Use radial and progress bars
    5B) Use radial and progress bars with weapon at base
    5C) Use solid colour instead of progress bar - NOT SHOWN
    6A) 5A rotated about X-Axis
    6B) 5B rotated about X-Axis
    6C) 5B rotated about X-Axis, but Weapon choice is at bottom of crosshair
    6D) Use solid colour instead of progress bar - NOT SHOWN
    7A) No Gap between progress bars, Weapon select could be put in center or to left, right or bottom if required.
    7B) Use solid colour for instead of progress bar - NOT SHOWN
    8A) Concentric Cricles for Health, Armour, Ammo as progress bar- NOT SHOWN
    8B) Concentric Cricles for Health, Armour, Ammo as solid bar- NOT SHOWN
    9A) Donut split into 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as progress bar - NOT SHOWN
    9B) Donut split into 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as solid bar - NOT SHOWN
    10A) Pie equal- 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as solid bar
    10B) Pie with outline - 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as progress bar
    10C) Pie no outline - 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as progress bar
    The position of each value could be moved around depending on player's style.
    11) Current UT crosshairs but with solid colour bars superimposed to show Health, Armour and Ammo - NOT SHOWN
    12) 11 but add a small version of UT3 weapon selection wheel which is opaque - NOT SHOWN
    13) Use the UT3 weapon selection circle (Ref1) and zoom it out really far so that it is the size of a crosshair, but use a colour for each weapon. As each weapon has a distinct colour, this part of the crosshair could be highlighted when it is selected, show a more translucent colour weapon the weapon is in inventory and be blank when not holding weapon - NOT SHOWN
    14A) Crosshair for Health and Armour - Inspired from RattleSN4K3 progress bar diagram - See Ref2 below for options
    14B) 14A but use solid colour bars instead of progress bars - NOT SHOWN - Colour scale as follows:
    • * Red - 25%
      * Orange - 50%
      * Yellow - 75%
      * Green - 100%
      * Aqua - 150%
      * Dark Blue - 200%

15) Use Horizontal weapon bar as the horizontal part of the crosshair and health and armour to form the vertical bar
    15A) 1080P res - Bar should be 30 pixels high and using top of bar as reference, offset 40 pixels from center of screen
    15B) 1080P res - Bar should be 20 pixels high and using top of bar as reference, offset 40 pixels from center of screen
    15C) 1080P res - Bar should be 4 pixels high and set at the center of the screen but split it in the middle so that the DOT 4x4 pixel crosshair still works.
    16) Fullscreen crosshair and layout the attributes to the sides of the lines - Inspired from Ref 3 - NOT SHOWN
    17E) for a unified crosshair which incorporates all the original UT4 HUD elements and a reduced version of @Dementiurge Horizontal Weapon Bar for weapon selection.

Each weapon would get either a one or two letter abbreviation.

Q3:
    I - Impact Hammer
    E - Enforcer
    B - Bio Rifle
    Sh - Shock Rifle
    L - Link Gun
    St - Stinger
    F - Flak Cannon
    R - Rocket Launcher
    Sn - Sniper Rifle
    Sw - Super Weapon

Ref1: UT3 Weapon Selection Circle - Visible when you select a weapon using gamepad (Default R1 button)

Ref2: RattleSN4K3 progress bar diagram from HUD Designs Feedback Thread

Ref3: Q3Arena fullscreen crosshair
    Originally posted by e1vp View Post
    Last edited by richardboegli; 03-31-2016, 03:06 AM. Reason: Epic Implementation
    Another crazy idea brought to you by richardboegli ;P

IMO that's too complicated, however I think that there needs to be a version of the HUD where all critical elements are duplicated or arranged around the crosshair.
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
      IMO that's too complicated, however I think that there needs to be a version of the HUD where all critical elements are duplicated or arranged around the crosshair.
      I agree it can get a bit too complicated, so I've posted another progress bar only option.

See Type 5,6,7 in first post
      Last edited by richardboegli; 11-10-2015, 10:26 AM. Reason: Added other types

Comment

Added Type 7

Comment

Mentioned Type 8 and 9, but not uploaded

Comment

Mentioned and revised to have both progress bar and solid bar options:
            5C) Use solid colour instead of progress bar - NOT SHOWN
            6D) Use solid colour for instead of progress bar - NOT SHOWN
            7A) No Gap between progress bars, Weapon select could be put in center or to left, right or bottom if required.
            7B) Use solid colour instead of progress bar - NOT SHOWN
            8A) Concentric Cricles for Health, Armour, Ammo as progress bar- NOT SHOWN
            8B) Concentric Cricles for Health, Armour, Ammo as solid bar- NOT SHOWN
            9A) Donut split into 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as progress bar - NOT SHOWN
            9B) Donut split into 3 sections for Health, Armour, Ammo as solid bar - NOT SHOWN

Comment

Added 10ABC

Comment

Added 5C in first post

Comment

Added 8B to first post

Comment

Personally won't be using it, but I like 10C and 7A most, setting up a program/site/whatever where you can completely customise your crosshairs (have #5 for flak and #7 for sniper) would be nice

Comment

Mentioned 11 and 12
                      11) Current UT crosshairs but with solid colour bars superimposed to show Health, Armour and Ammo - NOT SHOWN
                      12) 11 but add a small version of UT3 weapon selection wheel which is opaque - NOT SHOWN

Comment

Note: All colours would be about 50% translucent.

Comment

Added Ref1: UT3 Weapon Selection Circle - Visible when you select a weapon using gamepad (Default R1 button)

Comment

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
                            Added Ref1: UT3 Weapon Selection Circle - Visible when you select a weapon using gamepad (Default R1 button)
                            I assume most UT3 players had not seen the above shot as we typically play keyboard / mouse.
                            I only found it by accident last year when I was testing UT4 with a second window and needed a controller.

As I had controller plugged in when I opened up UT3 I ran around a little bit and found this

Comment

Added 14A) Crosshair for Health and Armour - Inspired from RattleSN4K3 progress bar diagram - See Ref2 below for options
                              14B) 14A but use solid colour bars instead of progress bars - NOT SHOWN - Colour scale as follows:
                              • * Red - 25%
                                * Orange - 50%
                                * Yellow - 75%
                                * Green - 100%
                                * Aqua - 150%
                                * Dark Blue - 200%

Type 14A - Crosshair with Health and Armour

Ref2: RattleSN4K3 progress bar diagram from HUD Designs Feedback Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X