• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Community-Buliding Features

EDIT - I'll keep adding ideas so we can get a running list

Some features I'd like to see. Some are no-brainers, but worth mentioning:

Friends List / Enemies
    - League of Legends has a little notepad under the friend's name where you can add notes. Please include this feature. It's very nice for writing notes like "Great with defense." "Flag carrier." or "Met through so and so." etc. etc. Stuff you might forget if you don't play with them for a while.
    - This should be integrated into the final score screen so you can click a plus next to the player's name to add them (or something along those lines). It should be painless to friend people and I don't want to have to use xfire or something to track people.
    - Most games have "Away" and "Busy" statuses. Please also provide an "Invisible" status so we can frag anonymously without having to disappoint our friends. We all have those nights where we just want to play alone, but we don't want our friends thinking we're avoiding them...
    -Please provide /mute, /unmute/, and /block, /unblock commands. It's important to have distinct commands for chat vs. global. Some games only have an ignore command which effectively blocks the person, but there are cases where you'll want to temporarily mute an acquaintance without altogether blocking them.

Clan tags
    - It's nice not to have to put your clan tag in your user name, and people change clans...

Clan chatrooms
    - Dedicated, always-there chatrooms for clans would be really nice. You log on, you idle in the chatroom, a friend jumps on, and you organize games, hang out, and strategize in chat. They can be created/managed by a designated clan leader. The clan leaders would effective be "admins" and the other clan members would be "users".

Clan Calendar
    - It would be interesting if you could issue a formal challenge to another clan where you could pull up a clan calendar and just throw it on there. Sounds boring - it'd effectively be like Microsoft Outlook - but could be utilitarian... ... could be nice for organization... That way, instead of having to email everyone on earth, you can just accept or decline the scrim and that way the clan knows if the scrim is viable or not (not enough teammates, etc.)
    -Access can be driven by user role (Clan Leader vs. User) - Laokin
    - Options to not just fill a roster with anyone, but to specifically designate clan members - Laokin

Competitive Seasons - Laokin
    -Leaderboards for clans/individuals utilizing match wins and in-game stats, with a clean slate at season end - Laokin
    -Selections for scrimage (does not affect ELO) or ranked match (does affect ELO) - Laokin
    Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM. Reason: Added Laokin's ideas
    I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

+1 All of these ideas rock

Comment

Originally posted by BoboTheBrave View Post
      EDIT - I'll keep adding ideas so we can get a running list

Some features I'd like to see. Some are no-brainers, but worth mentioning:

Friends List / Enemies
      - League of Legends has a little notepad under the friend's name where you can add notes. Please include this feature. It's very nice for writing notes like "Great with defense." "Flag carrier." or "Met through so and so." etc. etc. Stuff you might forget if you don't play with them for a while.
      - This should be integrated into the final score screen so you can click a plus next to the player's name to add them (or something along those lines). It should be painless to friend people and I don't want to have to use xfire or something to track people.
      - Most games have "Away" and "Busy" statuses. Please also provide an "Invisible" status so we can frag anonymously without having to disappoint our friends. We all have those nights where we just want to play alone, but we don't want our friends thinking we're avoiding them...
      -Please provide /mute, /unmute/, and /block, /unblock commands. It's important to have distinct commands for chat vs. global. Some games only have an ignore command which effectively blocks the person, but there are cases where you'll want to temporarily mute an acquaintance without altogether blocking them.

Clan tags
      - It's nice not to have to put your clan tag in your user name, and people change clans...

Clan chatrooms
      - Dedicated, always-there chatrooms for clans would be really nice. You log on, you idle in the chatroom, a friend jumps on, and you organize games, hang out, and strategize in chat. They can be created/managed by a designated clan leader. The clan leaders would effective be "admins" and the other clan members would be "users".

Clan Calendar
      - It would be interesting if you could issue a formal challenge to another clan where you could pull up a clan calendar and just throw it on there. Sounds boring - it'd effectively be like Microsoft Outlook - but could be utilitarian... ... could be nice for organization... That way, instead of having to email everyone on earth, you can just accept or decline the scrim and that way the clan knows if the scrim is viable or not (not enough teammates, etc.)
      Yep. Clan calendar is a fantastic innovation. Tribes 2 had most of these things, chat rooms, etc... Clan calendar is new, but I also suggest a clan browser. Something that lets you see clans to join/advertise recruiting and also allow clans to issue formal challenges to each other. The person who issues the challenge picks the date/time, the receiver can counter-offer a date and time, once it's settled, it goes to the calendar, which will pop up on your "Clan News" page, where your clan mates can click the calendar and click "Available/Unavailable" and once the match reaches the player count it finalizes the match. There should also be a setting for the clan leader to change clanmates ability to auto accept and take a spot in the match by mandating to check in, you have to be invited by the leader. This allows you to guarantee certain matches will be played with specific players, rather than a random mix of whichever teammates check in first.

There should also be seasons and a leaderboard with a reset when the season is over, and have different divisions like Star Craft II/Cal-O/IM/I.

Why do we need to go to websites like gamebattles/NASL/MLG, why can't it just be built into the game?

Also, when issuing a challenge, you can pick which kind of challenge, a scrim/pickup game, or a match. Scrims don't count against your record, while matches do -- allowing you to get competitive practice in and train new recruits without having to hurt your clans position/rank.

This could all be done without ever sending a single message in IRC with a smart clan interface.
      Last edited by Laokin; 05-15-2014, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Good thoughts Laokin. Love it. I added yours to the list.

Hopefully they can make the calendar features a useful in-game tool. Like you mentioned, utilizing external resources is somewhat of a hassle and is never going to be a well-integrated solution that works seamlessly within UT. I think it's accepted that VoIP is typically going to be external since TeamSpeak does it so well, but many other features will hopefully be developed in-house.

Let's keep brainstorming!
        Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-15-2014, 10:22 AM.
        I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Working...
        X