Team Overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team Overlay

Could we possibly have the team overlay from the spectator mode avalible in game? It would be very useful for knowing if your team got powerups, how much heath your carrier has, and things of that nature. It already looks relatively nice and don't think it would really need much work.
    Come join us for pickup games http://ut4pugs.us

you and i are probably the only people in 2k4 that ever used team overlay in UTComp games rofl. i remember people complaining about and removing it from their HUD

Comment

Oh, I loved the thing. It was great for telling when/who picked up the armor if the and when people were down. If it makes it into the game I think the current gun thing would have to go. It changes so fast it can be distracting.

Comment

I used to be pretty much against this sort of thing but I've softened over the time. Commuication, even with VOIP support just doesn't happen on public servers. At some point in the not so distant future we will return to the HUD so I'll keep it in the idea bank.

Comment

Originally posted by linoleumbnprt View Post
          you and i are probably the only people in 2k4 that ever used team overlay in UTComp games rofl. i remember people complaining about and removing it from their HUD
          I always used.
          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
            I used to be pretty much against this sort of thing but I've softened over the time. Commuication, even with VOIP support just doesn't happen on public servers. At some point in the not so distant future we will return to the HUD so I'll keep it in the idea bank.
            I appreciate it. Even in pick up games people often don't speak up.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe
              Yeah the current HUD is pretty whack. I just feel like I never even use it. We need to start a community driven custom "pro hud" for the marketplace.
              The current HUD was designed to include the features the community wanted (see the el monstro thread discussions). What's missing that you would consider essential? What's there that shouldn't be?

On topic: I love the idea of the team overlay as a toggleable option.
              Jim Brown
              @EntropicDev
              Epic Games

Comment

That one from FB51(?) looked good to me.
                Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                  The current HUD was designed to include the features the community wanted (see the el monstro thread discussions). What's missing that you would consider essential? What's there that shouldn't be?

On topic: I love the idea of the team overlay as a toggleable option.

The giant translocator icon should not be there outside of a tutorial or beginner server. Just add it to the weapon bar.

Speaking of the weapon bar, there is a concept called 'covert orienting'. It's where your eyes are focused on a location but your attention is directed elsewhere. When there's a lot going on it becomes increasingly difficult to do, you have to start actually looking toward your target. Try playing the game and not taking your eyes off your cross-hair. What information from the hud can you accurately discern? When you're in the middle of a fight you're trying to pay attention to your health (big, bold, bright numbers, bottom of the screen), your ammo (bottom right, almost out of your periphery), your other available guns (dim, small, right side, no salient indication that that there may be no ammo in the gun), not to mention the actual game. It's almost impossible. You're going to screw up in some way, be it trying to switch to a gun with no ammo (most common), not realize you're running out of ammo (2nd most), or not pay attention to your hp (3rd most). This is because the information is now spread across the entire screen and some of it is by default very dim. If you guys have an eye tracker in the office and you see someone having to frequently look around the hud and take their eyes off the game that's an indication that part of the hud is probably not working well. A lower number of looks is better, a lower time during looking is better, so long as you're actually able to ascertain the information.

I think it's likely that people complain about vertical weapon bar not just because it's different, but because you've increased the distance of orientation from other important things. It's measurably more difficult to quickly get info from.

Personally, I would like a better initial visual indicator that you have picked up a dropped flag. If you take into account the above paragraph this is another layer of the mess. Maybe a yellow rim around the screen that could fade away after a second or two? It happens to me pretty frequently that I don't realize I've picked up a dropped flag in the chaos of a last second grab attempt. It could just be me, but I've seen it happen to others as well (it's kind of funny when they trans off of it not knowing).
                  • Move the trans to the weapon bar
                  • Color the active weapon ammo count digit
                  • Strike out guns with no available ammo
                  • Give audio cue that you're trying to switch to a gun with no ammo
                  • More salient initial indication of dropped flag pickup
                  • Possibly move the weapon bar back because it sucks to have to look all over the screen.
                  • If you do add the team overlay don't include active weapon, it's super distracting.
                  Last edited by pb.; 01-07-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=4096]Entropy[/MENTION] Thank you for paying attention to this. Just watched the stream and it seemed like you guys took it into account. Looking forward to the new build.

Comment

Working...
                    X