Crate opening UI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PROTOTYPE] Crate opening UI

Hey everyone, have a super awkward video!

Kind of as a continuation from this thread.

Couple of things I forgot to mention;
    • Big thanks to users on the weapon art forum for posting all the images. Made it really easy to grab some temp art.
    • I went with weapon skins/models since there was a body of images at hand; that shouldn't limit what we put in crates however.
    • Crates are loaded from a database holder BP as and when needed. I keep up to 5 crates loaded at any one time; 3 on screen, 1 off each end. The idea here was to keep in mind having to load from a server and crate objects in a smooth manner. As I say in the video, there was an issue where opening crates from 1 upwards ended up with crates still loaded and accessible in the -1 and -2 positions, even though those crates had already been opened and removed form the DB.

I think that's all I missed. I may end up posting more. Thanks for reading/watching!
    Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 01-04-2016, 08:40 AM.

Plain awesome!
    RASTE IN PEACE !
    Maps: DM-Hydraulics | DM-Affliction
    Weapon: Redeemer

Comment

Originally posted by NATO_chrisjm View Post
      Hey everyone, have a super awkward video!

Kind of as a continuation from this thread.

Couple of things I forgot to mention;
      • Big thanks to users on the weapon art forum for posting all the images. Made it really easy to grab some temp art.
      • I went with weapon skins/models since there was a body of images at hand; that shouldn't limit what we put in crates however.
      • Crates are loaded from a database holder BP as and when needed. I keep up to 5 crates loaded at any one time; 3 on screen, 1 off each end. The idea here was to keep in mind having to load from a server and crate objects in a smooth manner. As I say in the video, there was an issue where opening crates from 1 upwards ended up with crates still loaded and accessible in the -1 and -2 positions, even though those crates had already been opened and removed form the DB.

I think that's all I missed. I may end up posting more. Thanks for reading/watching!
      Fantastic video, this is probably better than any of the UI in the game currently.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Well I'm just sad, that it's just CS:GO system ctrl+c ctrl+v. I would love to see a different take on it then just reusing what they are doing.

Comment

nato this is amazing m8 keep up the good work!
          Shoutcaster/Commentator
          Progamer for Team-dignitas
          10 years worth of e-sports experience
          Twitch.TV | YouTube | Twitter

Comment

One of the most promising posts I've seen on the forums for quite a while, very impressed NATO.

Originally posted by Spector CZ View Post
            Well I'm just sad, that it's just CS:GO system ctrl+c ctrl+v. I would love to see a different take on it then just reusing what they are doing.
            Thats not true at all, AFAIK looting system in CSGO is purely 2D based (im not talking about inspecting the weapon post crate opening).
            This one has some 3d Elements (panning around the crate and selecting them in 3dspace) which makes it already unique and different from csgo, if we get enough flexibility into the crates this is already enough. It does its job in a very solid way, everyone understands what the UI wants to tell you and what you have to do, why reinvent the wheel if you already have it working? Its just basic slot machine functionality, csgo doesnt have anything special about it either.

Massive props to nato, really looking forward to how this will develop !
            Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
            Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

Thanks guys

This is a first pass and I'd be willing to make some changes if it improves the experience.

Currently thinking of adding a small delay in showing the ticker so you get to see the box open, possibly making it clickable though.

Comment

Im super impressed with this myself, are planning some kind of inventory screen for the weapons? Im guessing that this is just conceptual so the weapons are only represented by icons here for the time being. I would love to see if I can work with you and bring my weapon skins over for you to use in the newer builds, Im not sure how easy it will be and it'll certainly need Epics input but I thought I'd offer since I have done work on it already

I think you've really done a great job, I like the mesh and the materials, the ticker is great too and really adds to the fun of unboxing. As I mentioned on IRC I do feel as though the crates could have different locks visually, so even if you buy master keys they could have old padlocks, key locks, then card locks and all the way up to biometrics like handprint scanner to really bring out the scifi nature of the game.

What I like most is that you've given the crates value on their own, I'd gladly have one of those in my inventory knowing how cool they look, its not just a 2d icon of a box or a crate like TF2 its an actual virtual object you can interact with and inspect. If you can take that further and actually have the crate open and the weapon sitting inside that would be amazing, it might even make people forget about the ticker portion, I guess it would be similar to Borderlands 2's golden chest where the unveiling is exciting.

Totally looking forward to seeing how this progresses
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonemm View Post
                  One of the most promising posts I've seen on the forums for quite a while, very impressed NATO.

Thats not true at all, AFAIK looting system in CSGO is purely 2D based (im not talking about inspecting the weapon post crate opening).
                  This one has some 3d Elements (panning around the crate and selecting them in 3dspace) which makes it already unique and different from csgo, if we get enough flexibility into the crates this is already enough. It does its job in a very solid way, everyone understands what the UI wants to tell you and what you have to do, why reinvent the wheel if you already have it working? Its just basic slot machine functionality, csgo doesnt have anything special about it either.

Massive props to nato, really looking forward to how this will develop !
                  I am not talking about the eye candy... But it's just the same: Crate + key then horizontal ticker and BUM! Heartstone made it somewhat different as they have card packages, with opening one card at time and so on. So I would like to not just copy CS:GO system but to make it our own.

Maybe to not find crates, but actual "mystery" items? You find a mystery weapon/armor/helmet/pickup/map design plan etc... of some quality, so you need a "key" to identify the weapon for you (tarydium crystal or whatever), these would also be findable, not just for sale (the keys could also be different quality to give you a better chance for legendary items)...

I don't know, maybe this exact idea is stupid, but that's what I'm talking about. To make something different.

Comment

Nice prototype. Is this in game or something you mocked up?

Comment

In game. It uses a custom pawn and shunts it to a camera then floats stuff in front of it.

Edit: wait, sorry. To clarify; It's done in the UT editor but I've not integrated it into the build.
                      Last edited by NATO_chrisjm; 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I am not talking about the eye candy... But it's just the same: Crate + key then horizontal ticker and BUM! Heartstone made it somewhat different as they have card packages, with opening one card at time and so on. So I would like to not just copy CS:GO system but to make it our own.

Maybe to not find crates, but actual "mystery" items? You find a mystery weapon/armor/helmet/pickup/map design plan etc... of some quality, so you need a "key" to identify the weapon for you (tarydium crystal or whatever), these would also be findable, not just for sale (the keys could also be different quality to give you a better chance for legendary items)...

I don't know, maybe this exact idea is stupid, but that's what I'm talking about. To make something different.
                        Well, one could implement something different BESIDES the crates. I like crates, they work really well for sustaining a game over long period of time.
                        It would be cool to have something like a junkyard. Broken weaponskins could be dropped ingame and you can buy/trade materials at the junkyard to repair them. (example: you find a broken/battleworn flakskin and you first have to buy a new spring to make it work again. The droprate for these weapons should be quite low, otherwise it would make crates meaningless ). Or whatever, but thats not the place to discuss this. This is about crates and what nato did and I absolutely love it . Im actually in favour Mons, would be nice to see the weapon appear in the crate when its opened, you might even be able to look at the weapon the same way you can look at the crates?
                        Pretty hyped about seeing this hooked up with the inventory system.
                        Nonemms Music Thread DM-Lea(Youtube Soundcloud )
                        Fabian Joosten - composer for media

Comment

1. More fanfare when you open a crate. Ultimately, the idea is that you want to addict people to the thrill of getting a random number.
                          - More fanfare switching between crates. It build up suspense and anticipation as the player seeks out the next crate to open.
                          - Perhaps unique effects associated with the rarity when a crate opens could be added, to strengthen the urge to acquire rarer items (or share videos of getting one).

2. There WILL be dozens of crate types. A list that is more expandable than a linear scroll would be desirable.
                          - There may be multiple key, er, keycode types as well, associated with particular crates. Perhaps a key manager could be another part of the interface.
                          - The option to buy keys should still be there when you have them.

3. A purchasing screen, even for keycodes, should be a separate and more 'official' interface. Both for authority, and to distract opening a crate from the actual cost.

4. Make the examined crate slowly rotate on its own. It's trite, but it will make the crates feel less sterile.

Comment

I really love this! One of my favorite things about Black Ops III is opening crates

I never thought I'd say that.
                            Stacey Conley
                            -----------------------------
                            Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                            Epic Games, Inc.
                            Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

Comment

Man, Chris! This is totally awesome work man.
                              \o/
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X