Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Construction of the menusystem (no design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Construction of the menusystem (no design)

I know theres a Main menu thread already but its focusing alot on design (very impressive stuff too) so in this thread id like to try and focus on the content of the menusystem.

Ive been looking at the menus in UT99, UT2004 and UT3 to get a feeling for what must be in.
    I have made the assumption that there will be some kind of single player in the game whatever form it will take.
    Since this is a PC game i have also made the assumption that more info can be held in each page resulting in the elimination of some sub-menus.

We want as few clicks between what we want to do and execution so please help out and cut some steps.

I will update my this post with the changes we all agree on.

Menu

Tournament (single player/COOP)
    Play offline
    Play online
    Play with friends
    Resume
    Delete
    Highscores
    Tutorials

Instant action
    Setup game (Gametype, Map cycle, Gamerules, Mutators, Bot config
    Start
    Spectate
    Tutorials

Multiplayer
    Join game
    Filter
    Servers
    History
    Favorites
    Join IP
    Spectate IP
    Join LAN game
    Filter
    Servers
    History
    Favorites
    Join IP
    Spectate IP
    Host game
    Setup game (Gametype, Map cycle, Gamerules, Mutators, Bot config
    Listen server
    Dedicated server
    Server info
    Start
    Spectate

Community
    News
    UE4 Marketplace
    Map of the week (Ownage maps)
    Demorecordings
    Friends

Settings
    Video
    Audio
    Controls
    Keys
    Weapons
    Hud

Ingame menu (Esc.)

Resume
    Settings
    Video
    Audio
    Controls
    Keys
    Weapons
    Hud
    Server browser
    Quit to menu
    Quit to desktop

Edit: Changed User content to UE4 Marketplace.
    Last edited by Wowbagger; 05-16-2014, 03:41 PM.

A couple of things we DO NOT want is the following (real cases in two AAA titles)

1. Consistency in the menus. If you have a Back button it needs to be in all pages so that you dont get "trapped"
    2. When hitting Esc to reach the menu ingame, getting killed should not cancel the menu. (I know, its crazy stuff )

Anything missing?
    Or is there some steps we can cut to keep the amount of clicks from .EXE to first shot fired at a minimum?

Comment

1. Consistency in the menus. If you have a Back button it needs to be in all pages so that you dont get "trapped"
      Better yet design a menu that doesn't need a back button (UWindows).

Comment

Originally posted by ybb View Post
        What's the difference between press back and closing a window?

Comment

Originally posted by utMental View Post
          I assume that the point with the Amiga Workbench clone <3 is that you have the option to leave the windows open, click on another window, move them around, etc. It's not very keyboard friendly, at first glance.

----

If anything, make the server browser globally accessible at the press of F5, just like you can call up the console in any context.
          The server browser is such a key part of the game.
          Everything else can be stuffed in Esc?

So, you're playing single player, and you want to jump online. F5 is your friend. F5 will bring you there.

----

Looking at the UT UI design, it consists of a menu bar, menu items, dialog windows with tabs which have check marks, buttons that open another dialog window, and list boxes.

Basic structure:
          Game
          - Start Unreal Tournament
          - Start Practice Session
          -- Match
          --- [Category]
          --- [Game Type]
          --- [Map Name]
          --- [Map List]
          --- [Mutators]
          -- Rules
          -- Settings
          -- Bots
          --- [Base Skill]
          --- [Configure]
          --- [Start]
          --- [Close]

- Resume Saved Tournament

Multiplayer

- Find Internet Games
          -- News
          -- UT Servers
          -- Populated Servers
          -- Team DeathMatch
          -- Domination
          -- Last Man Standing
          -- Chat
          --- System
          --- [Connect]
          -- Favorites
          -- LAN Servers
          --- (Shortcut to LAN Servers)
          -- DeathMatch
          -- Capture the Flag
          -- Assault

- Start New Multiplayer Game
          -- Match
          --- [Map List]
          --- [Mutators]
          -- Rules
          -- Settings
          -- Bots
          --- [Configure]
          -- Server
          -- [Dedicated]
          -- [Start]
          -- [Close]
          - Find LAN Games
          - Open Location
          - Disconnect from Server
          - Reconnect to Server
          - Download Latest Update

Options

- Preferences
          -- Video
          -- Game
          -- Input
          -- Network
          -- Audio
          -- Controls
          -- HUD
          -- [Close]

- Player Setup
          -- [Face]
          -- [Close]

- Weapons
          -- [Close]

Stats
          - View Local ngStats (Nothing happens)
          - View Global ngWorldStats (Broken link opens in external browser)
          - Help with Local ngStats (Nothing happens)
          - Help with Global ngWorldStats (Broken link opens in external browser)

Tools
          - System Console (System Console Window opens)
          - TimeDemo Statistics (Toggle)
          - Show Log (Opens a separate, external window)

Mod
          - Force default models

Help
          - Context Help
          - Technical Support
          - About Epic Games
          - UT Credits

Comment

UT Menu may also include Mods on the menu bar if any are installed, and if any single player mods are installed, single player menu items are added to the Game menu.

So, looking at this, as well as the UT2K3/4 and UT3 menus, we need to determine what options are relevant to the new game, and what features may not be represented. Looking at your list, rejecht, it would seem that Stats in their original form is obsolete.

Regardless of whether we use a uWindow setup, or the more traditional single UI (a topic for the other thread), there has been some interest in an overlay approach (which would be applicable in both cases), in which case the "in game menu" becomes unnecessary. I believe JoeWilcox commented on this issue in tarnationsauce2's thread, though, and it is unclear at this point if it will even be feasible.

Comment

Originally posted by ybb View Post
              Well, to be honest uWindows have back buttons too, just click Start Unreal Tournament
              But yea, the rest of uWindows behaves just like you say.
              I was never a big fan of uWindows but i have to confess that you ALWAYS know where in the menusystem you are and its ALWAYS one click to go a totally different path in the menu.

Originally posted by utMental View Post
              In some cases you might be 2-3 levels "deep" in the menusystem which means you have to click 3 times on the Back button instead of one.
              Thats a worst case scenario though, a heavily consolized menu.

Originally posted by rejecht View Post
              I assume that the point with the Amiga Workbench clone <3 is that you have the option to leave the windows open, click on another window, move them around, etc. It's not very keyboard friendly, at first glance.

----

If anything, make the server browser globally accessible at the press of F5, just like you can call up the console in any context.
              The server browser is such a key part of the game.
              Everything else can be stuffed in Esc?

So, you're playing single player, and you want to jump online. F5 is your friend. F5 will bring you there.

----

Looking at the UT UI design, it consists of a menu bar, menu items, dialog windows with tabs which have check marks, buttons that open another dialog window, and list boxes.

Basic structure:
              I like that idea, a way to keybind any key you want to Serverbrowser or why stop there? any part of the menu?

Originally posted by VampireJesus View Post
              UT Menu may also include Mods on the menu bar if any are installed, and if any single player mods are installed, single player menu items are added to the Game menu.

So, looking at this, as well as the UT2K3/4 and UT3 menus, we need to determine what options are relevant to the new game, and what features may not be represented. Looking at your list, rejecht, it would seem that Stats in their original form is obsolete.

Regardless of whether we use a uWindow setup, or the more traditional single UI (a topic for the other thread), there has been some interest in an overlay approach (which would be applicable in both cases), in which case the "in game menu" becomes unnecessary. I believe JoeWilcox commented on this issue in tarnationsauce2's thread, though, and it is unclear at this point if it will even be feasible.
              Yea i cherrypicked all the good stuff from all three menus really, used the most up to date names and discarded the obsolete ones.
              Like you say we dont know exactly how the game will be but its easy to adapt in this form.

Hopefully the gfx wizards will have use of this when they do their stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger View Post
                I like that idea, a way to keybind any key you want to Serverbrowser or why stop there? any part of the menu?
                It can be done quite easily. Esc, for example, binds to ShowMenu, and you could simply pass some code to it, tab index, or maybe the name of the tab. One issue with a tab index is that the tabs change depending on modes (offline/online play) and maybe mods. Names could work, but they're localized.

I envisioned the server browser as a separate process/component that you call up as an overlay, like the console window in UT2004. It only deals with server browser stuff. It was a narrow idea, and should be put in proper context etc.

Comment

Working...
                X