Low Health Feedback and Damage Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Of course it should be an option. I don't care if other people don't want their view obstructed, but loud and obvious damage taken indication is imperative to any aggressive play stile where your mostly engaging in CQC. You can't see these compass indicators through close range explosions, and tracking fast movement. Even the border wall triangles that 2kx used were bounds better than the current compass. Nothing has been as consistently effective as the full screen scaling opacity flashes of UT, though. This is as big an issue for me as hidden weapons for some people, and it's frustrating because it's a client side option, totally wouldn't be off putting to anyone, and is getting little or no discussion, or acknowledgment.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    The health should at least flash or something when it's low. It's almost unnoticeable currently if you're concentrating on fighting.
    Oh please don't force people to this. If some want it as an option it is fine, but something like that should be possible to turn off. I always played screen flashing (when you were receiving damage) off in UT99 and it was rarely a problem, much bigger problem was red flashing screen that destroyed my concentration. I think after mastering the game you should have a hunch on how much health you have, even during the battle.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Flikswich View Post
    The health should at least flash or something when it's low. It's almost unnoticeable currently if you're concentrating on fighting.
    This. ...and if that's not what you meant, the cross hair compass damage indication is the same.

I would like to see an option return for the full screen flashes like in UT. I think direction is less important than gauging the intensity of how much damage you just took. I would rather have pitch mod sounds for hits taken than given. I think compensation also exaggerates the problem, as I really don't feel I get the compass indication every time I'm damaged, and with so many weapons that don't impart momentum, they can stack pretty quick.

I'm so tired of wondering where all my health went, or not knowing I'm taking damage.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    atleast it should become red when its low, how low lets say from 1 to i dont know you decide 20 to 30 40 or something.
    like in cs go your health becomes red and you dont even have to look how much you have you know you will die with 1 bullet

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why not colorize the damage indicator you got with respect to your current health status.

So on high health they flash green, mid yellow and low red. Like this you know about your current status and dont need to move your eye from the xhair.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Skaary View Post
    No! Please no! Red/Gray screens at low health - this is most nasty feature of modern games.
    Hehe, include my negativity about it too next time otherwise others will think I'm promoting it with the quote you used

Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    I personally don't like the screen changing as I find it distracts you when you really need to focus (as you have little health left) eg: Some games add a red tinge to the screen etc...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by richardboegli View Post
    Some games add a red tinge to the screen etc...
    No! Please no! Red/Gray screens at low health - this is most nasty feature of modern games.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Mikepote View Post

I have two problems with the current HUD health feedback system:

1)When your health gets low there's no indication, no red pulsing of your health percentage, nothing. This makes it quite difficult to tell at a glance (or even out the corner of your eye) that you need to get to a health pack. I've been playing Team Fortress 2 for the last 7 years and it is a masterpiece of good FPS design. I think UT4 would benefit a lot from studying how TF2 approached certain game design problems. Case in point: The health display:

In Team Fortress, your health bar changes drastically depending on how healed you are. The most important feature is that the health display changes to a dark gray / red colour once you get below 50% health. That alone helps a lot with being aware of your health.
    I personally don't like the screen changing as I find it distracts you when you really need to focus (as you have little health left) eg: Some games add a red tinge to the screen etc...

This makes it quite difficult to tell at a glance (or even out the corner of your eye)
    This is why I've started working on a "unified crosshair" which incorporates the required HUD elements and arranges them in a non-obstrusive way around your crosshair, thereby reducing the need to glance down at health or around your HUD for other info (who has flag, what is your frag count etc...)

I find that when I am in the "heat of battle" I don't look around at my HUD and just focus in the center of the screen.

Originally posted by Mikepote View Post
    2) When I get damaged, it appears to me that the damage direction indicator is showing where the damage came from but not where the opponent is who damaged me - for example a player in front of me fires a grenade which bounces behind me and explodes - damaging me from behind. I realise this might be a contentious issue but I reckon the damage indicator should point forward towards the player who shot the grenade, not behind to where it exploded.
    I do like this idea and could see how some people would find it contentious, especially in a TDM where you could tell your team member where your opponent was.

Leave a comment:

• started a topic Low Health Feedback and Damage Feedback

Low Health Feedback and Damage Feedback

Apologies if this has been addressed before, I'm new to the forums.

I have two problems with the current HUD health feedback system:
    1. When your health gets low there's no indication, no red pulsing of your health percentage, nothing. This makes it quite difficult to tell at a glance (or even out the corner of your eye) that you need to get to a health pack. I've been playing Team Fortress 2 for the last 7 years and it is a masterpiece of good FPS design. I think UT4 would benefit a lot from studying how TF2 approached certain game design problems. Case in point: The health display:

In Team Fortress, your health bar changes drastically depending on how healed you are. The most important feature is that the health display changes to a dark gray / red colour once you get below 50% health. That alone helps a lot with being aware of your health.

2. When I get damaged, it appears to me that the damage direction indicator is showing where the damage came from but not where the opponent is who damaged me - for example a player in front of me fires a grenade which bounces behind me and explodes - damaging me from behind. I realise this might be a contentious issue but I reckon the damage indicator should point forward towards the player who shot the grenade, not behind to where it exploded.
    Attached Files
Working...
X