Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idea: UT4 tutorial videos for (advanced) gameplay and more!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idea: UT4 tutorial videos for (advanced) gameplay and more!

(warning, a bit lenghty at times, but well worth the read and feedback!!)

---

It seems to me that whatever UT version and whatever gamemode people played, there have been huge differences between skill level of players from very early on.
    This has one main reason, there have been no tutorials on the most vital aspects of gameplay.
    Since ut1999 it took me over 1.5 years to find out that there was an actual league with website, clans and matches fully dedicated to Assault! Once I was on there, i found out how people made launching so easy (just a few codes for shortcut keys input into the ut99 documents and you are done). Unless you were with a decent clan you probably never got the shortcut codes for selflaunching anyway. I am sure there are similar aspects of this that could be mentioned about 2k3, 2k4, ut3 etc. whether it be CTF, onslaught, TDM etc.

What i am suggesting

Is a dedicated game incorporated ability to view tutorial videos (i.e. As there are tutorial videos on the unreal 4 engine).

This would allow for every type of player to get proper exposure with every mode of gameplay and catch up on the competition faster than they could before. I.e. all there if you want to view it, if not then it is not forced down your throat unlike so many other games out there!

The videos/tutorials could for example be regarding:
    - Gametype (there are huge differences in how to play CTF, Assault or TDM for example!)
    - Map
    - Weapon (combo’s)
    - Powerup (how to take maximum effect of powerups!)
    - Movement
    - Tips and tricks
    - How to get doublekill, multikill etc. all the way up to maximum level
    - Maintaining your kill/death ratio
    - Timing!! (ammo, weapons, powerups, health etc.)
    - Objective related (for example on assault)
    - Rule differences/game differences between public games and competition play on ladders!

Take this further

This tutorials/videos are there to help the player with
    - game type related possibilities
    - help ease the player with the learning curve
    - help the player get (easily) immersed into more than 1 gamemode
    - show case advanced possibilities within gamemodes/maps/weapons etc.
    - make the transition to competition/ladder/clan related gameplay easier
    - stop annoying noobs on public servers be flabbergasted (and thus stopping them leaving games and messing up the map) when you do things like launching in assault, the same i am sure goes for other game modes!

IMO The training/tutorial material should cover many different aspects of the game and maybe having different levels (beginner/advanced):

Game mechanics: (basic and advanced movement, weapons introduction (pro&cons of each weapon), items)
    Map Control: (Item timings, how to time different items during a game, examples from pro games)
    Setting up efficient hotkey setup/key bindings: example configs from veteran players
    Duel basics: How to win, how to keep control, how to make a comeback? How to move in duel compared to FFA DM/TDM
    Advanced Duel Guide: How make different styles work: Aggressive styles, Defensive styles, etc.
    TDM Guide: How to move as a team, how to keep/attack certain positions(examples from pro games), different player roles in a team,
    Map analysis/Strategy examples
    CTF Guide
    Assault Guide
    Game analysis from Cup games: (Duel/TDM/CTF)

Looking at further options for this: What about clan recruitment?
    Back in the day of ut99 you would hang out in servers (orange haha) and get spotted and invited for a clan. Most people did not even know for a long time there were entire leagues and websites dedicated to specific mode related ut gameplay. Once you got into a clan, you would undergo a series of trainings which were fun but very time consuming and often pointless. Smart clans would just record their matches and send you those however. So why not incorporate this?

- clan invitation send ingame via registered nicknames inside a score system
    - clan page with their respective demos/training videos/tactic videos

Epic wanted ideas and i know this is still long down the line. I am just saying that the entire process of gaming could and should be speed up by the use of demo recording/movie making abilities and linking players to clans and ladders all incorporated into the game. The same should go for teamspeak!

I am suggesting all this because the majority of player will NOT go onto youtube to look for how-to videos or tips-tricks. Even if they did, how would they know what to look for if they had no idea what it is in the first place?
    Last edited by orchild; 05-17-2014, 07:17 AM. Reason: Clarity

Tutorials suck if you ask me. They may be OK for strategy games where you need to know a lot of stuff in advance before even you start playing, but they're something to avoid in game design. For a shooter like UT, you can perfectly jump into a game to do some pewpew-ing, and you'll be constantly learning all the new stuff as you play... it's much more fun and rewarding this way IMO, especially for a game you'll be giving a lot of hours of playtime... There's just no need to know about everything so soon.

I remember when I found out about shock combos and did my first one. It wouldn't have been half as awesome if an annoying tutorial voice had told me 'the shock combo is a powerful explosion created by shooting a shock core with a shock beam!'...
    Last edited by TheGlecter; 05-17-2014, 08:31 AM.
    DM-Batrankus is out on the UT Marketplace! Enjoy!

My UT Maps: | JB-Makoy (UT3JB) | JB-Fragtion2 (UT2004JB) | CTF-Opposite (UT2004) | VCTF-Antropolis (UT2004) |
    My Puzzle Levels: | Tetrobot and Co. | Portal 2 | Toki Tori |
    My Localizations: | Killing Floor |

Comment

I did the "Mastering UT3" videos for the last game, which were very well received:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=mastering+UT3

People often recommended that they be integrated into the game directly - of course it never happened then - but it could for this one maybe, who knows.

That being said, they were very time consuming to script out and produce. It would potentially make sense if multiple people produced them, but I think if you had just random fans and players making them it wouldn't be very polished or consistent - in which case, they may as well be on Youtube instead.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by G.Lecter View Post
        I remember when I found out about shock combos and did my first one. It wouldn't have been half as awesome if an annoying tutorial voice had told me 'the shock combo is a powerful explosion created by shooting a shock core with a shock beam!'...
        Different people learn, and prefer/find it easier to be taught new things in different ways: http://www.learningrx.com/types-of-l...styles-faq.htm
        It would be helpful if the game can lay some groundwork in order that people even recognise that there are multiple tiers of skill found in an Unreal Tournament match, to begin with. You can reach a point otherwise where you're no longer enabling a high skill ceiling, but you're guilty of wilful obfuscation. (hiding inherent mechanics so that others can in effect exploit the fact that these stunts can be performed, against less experienced players)
        Last edited by Spinarax; 05-17-2014, 10:38 AM.

Comment

One of the things we really want to foster this time around is helping the community build videos such as this. Everything from how and when to use a weapon to trick-style videos and everything in between. I'm open to ideas on how to promote this from within the game, but honestly it's probably better from the store/community portal. While it's pretty easy to just minimize the game while going to watch the video I'm not a fan of the switch like this but I'm happy to entertain ideas. And implementing a Youtube or VIMEO viewer inside the engine is probably outside the scope of what we want to do internally, but if someone in the community wants to tackle that project that would be awesome. Organize something and I'll be happy to try and get you any help we can give.

Comment

What about integrating Awesomium, Joe? Wouldn't that allow embedded web players and pages directly inside a map? Heck that would be awesome (pun intended) - watch the videos in a certain order from within the world - even tie each video to its own map where you as a player can follow along in real time!

Comment

See my earlier post here for a training framework that might help:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...al%2C+training
              Last edited by BoboTheBrave; 05-17-2014, 03:01 PM.
              I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Originally posted by BoboTheBrave View Post
                See my earlier post here for a training framework that might help:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...al%2C+training
                That's really good. Under weapons there, I particularly noted your idea of the advanced level including a target shoot/time challenge. The modern numbered Call of Duty games included a similar thing, and I thought it was often very effective, because again, it's informing the player. It's offering an impression (for that game) of where best to set the difficulty for an enjoyable play experience through the campaign. Another beneficial effect of that, was that I could quickly see through my accuracy and speed data after each run of the course the areas of my game that I might want to focus on improving. I found that really useful.

In terms of that complete idea you linked to, I suggest it might be best to put most resources/time in to explaining the points that are likely to be alien to those unfamiliar with Unreal Tournament. Playtesting will help a great deal to establish the right balance of time to complete, versus understanding gained. I hope you will pursue such an idea further, as it's a super plan!

Comment

Originally posted by Spinarax View Post
                  That's really good. Under weapons there, I particularly noted your idea of the advanced level including a target shoot/time challenge. The modern numbered Call of Duty games included a similar thing, and I thought it was often very effective, because again, it's informing the player. It's offering an impression (for that game) of where best to set the difficulty for an enjoyable play experience through the campaign. Another beneficial effect of that, was that I could quickly see through my accuracy and speed data after each run of the course the areas of my game that I might want to focus on improving. I found that really useful.

In terms of that complete idea you linked to, I suggest it might be best to put most resources/time in to explaining the points that are likely to be alien to those unfamiliar with Unreal Tournament. Playtesting will help a great deal to establish the right balance of time to complete, versus understanding gained. I hope you will pursue such an idea further, as it's a super plan!
                  Thanks! I don't have the know-how to be able to actually implement my ideas, but I hope Epic does include a robust training plan in the default game. It will help with newbie adoption, help people understand how much depth truly is there, and set the bar for the level of skill required for high-level play; the advanced courses should be truly difficult to beat with very slim margins for error. It gives people something to aspire to vs. spoon-feeding them the feeling of "You're an expert now!" when there is still a mile-wide gap between them and skilled players.
                  I went by B0T0X in UT2k4, BoboTheBrave in UT3. If you remember me, send me a PM!

Remember? I was the one running backward with the flag!

Comment

Yeah, video sort of becomes redundant if you can just script out some kind of tutorial easily in game. What would be neat is if you could trigger playback of a demorec while a narration plays for the player, and they can try to mimic the demorec, even use hotkeys to rewind/restart the demonstration of each move or sequence.

Then we can easily just make a series of training maps/modules.

Comment

Working...
                    X