Hitsounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitsounds

For all the previous discourse about hitsounds and the push back from epic (we can do it better via pain / armor hit sounds, etc) we now have functioning hit markers that message the amount of damage dealt. tbh I supported epic in both damage feedback and the bright skin "issue". "We want to do it without glowsticks/hitsounds". That is cool. However the hitmarkers are give exactly the same info as hitsounds, is there any reason not to include hitsounds at this point?

Can we please now have official audio as an option to go along with the visual tells as well as options to disable/enable both options.

Thanks!
    Posts are about duel unless otherwise specified. ut duel shortcomings | What is timing? | dm-twentyseven

Well, at least they aren't pitch mod.

I never understood the point of it anyways. You should be able to tell by your target momentum, with line of sight, whether or not you hit them, between bleeding, and now the health indication flashes, the visual hud indicator seems a bit redundant. Especially considering the proposed "point" of them is to provide information lost in inconsistent net conditions, which can consequently cause this information to be inconsistent as well.

Hud is pretty noisy right now, If I were at all inclined to play, I'd be inclined to turn half of it off.

I'm more concerned about the damage taken indication, which hasn't been clearly messaged since UT, where apparently people thought it was intrusive. That, should be completely a client side option. I should be able to enable blinding red flashes for when I take damage.
    Originally posted by Mysterial
    An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

I strongly dislike the hit markers. Having 4 blinking red marks around the crosshair is really distracting.

Comment

Our course hasn't changed here. Our goal is to build hit sounds that work within the soundscape of the game and utilize audio features to make them stand out. That is our goal. Whether we reach it or not is unknown and if we fail to reach what we consider to be working hit notifications, then we will entertain other options. This is a separate issue from visuals. The current hit indicator, like many things is just a prototyping experiment. There is a lot of planned prototyping on the HUD UI over the next few months. Some things will work, some will work but need an art pass, some things will not work.

Comment

If we're going the route of having vocal hitsounds I'd very much appreciate you guys reusing that "Owie!" clip Gorge would sometimes say in ut2k4.

Comment

In some ways I would like to have the damage indicators be more focused on how much health the opponent has left. Hitting someone for 150 damage but they still have 150 health left kind of sends out the wrong message to have a heavy scream.

Maybe a thud of sorts for your hit damage and a scream for your remaining health.

It might need some experimentation, e.g. a massive scream for an enforcer hit when they're low on health might not work quite right.
            Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

Currently all esl games are run with pitch based hitsounds on via mod and it's looking as if they'll be picked up universally by tournament organisers unless epic provide an equally useful substitute :]
              :|

Comment

Flikswitch that's the beauty of UT. Those tournaments can utilize mods all they want...

But the official game will not have them at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                  But the official game will not have them at this time.
                  I didn't mean identical, a similar thing that gives the same sort of information be it visual/audio, implemented by epic would probably stand a good chance of being the standard in tournaments as well. If anything I think this is the best option as it caters to both parties so epic maintain their vision and tournaments/players maintain theirs.
                  :|

Comment

If it's implemented by Epic then they basically lose the option to change their mind and take it away without facing a backlash from the part of the community who want hit sounds, even if hitsounds were implemented it on a purely experimental basis. It would just box everybody into a corner and hitsounds would become the de facto standard regardless of how optional they are meant to be because all the tournaments will unquestioningly use them because they're official and the pro players want them, and in turn the playerbase would demand them to be enabled in competitive matchmaking because the tournaments use them and eventually because of the way these things trickle down anybody not playing with hitsounds isn't playing the game right.

Comment

I've just never understood this "grey area" approach to this issue. I personally would rather my health and armor status (within reason of not having a belt), should be mostly unknown. Private. Like right now, when an opponent flashes blue, this mitigates some of the advantage of having overhealth over a belt, as your opponent now knows you have more than 100 hp. If you flash red, it's pretty much a green light for your opponent to be aggressive. This, much like pitch modified hit sounds, and anything that allows overly precise damage tracking, eliminates a certain psychological aspect of the game. You really can't "bluff" an opponent by playing aggressively with low health. Granted, with the weapons right now, you can't play aggressively anyways, because there really is no functional defensive movement in this game, but hopefully that will change. I just feel like with some of these features, you might as well just put the numerical EP over their heads like you are now for teammates.

I think if the damage is going to be left up to any interpretation, it should be as "realistic" as possible, with nearly no hud indication of anything. Just target displacement, and in game weapon and model sound effects (grunts, explosions, etc). Also problematic for this will be the current compensation model, which furthers inconsistencies that validate things like plink style hitsounds. Without a netcode model that is WYSIWYG, you basically need post event server assistance to know what's going on. I think this is the main reason these "features" started in tandem. Not because they were all competitive features wanted individually, but because one created a demand for the other.
                      Originally posted by Mysterial
                      An instant hit, accurate, instant kill weapon is overpowered. There's no skill ceiling. It's limited only by the shooter's accuracy. It also severely impairs the defensive side of the game - ignoring ping, it is nearly irrelevant what your opponent does - click the right pixel and you win. Even non-instant kill instant hit weapons are often problematic - the Shock Rifle example is obvious before even getting to other games.

Comment

For me UT3's hit (sound) implementation (visually and aurally) was the perfect mix of both worlds. But UT3's is probably the wrong game to evaluate a specific feature out of it. We won't see a similar implemention due to masses would go nuts on it. I don't think the community will accept any other hitsound than Q3's pitched sound implementation.

For anyone not knowing how UT3's system worked (which I think hasn't got implemented in UT at any point so far):

Spoiler
                        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

That sounds pretty good to me!
                          Current Main Issues: Tri-Rox (Remove), Scoreboards lack player stats,Team Balance.

My Pre-Alpha Highlights 2016 to early 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKlKQ349o8A | http://plays.tv/u/Smurgl

Comment

I want a simple hitsound that says "Ow!"
                            Have you hugged a Skaarj today?

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                              For me UT3's hit (sound) implementation (visually and aurally) was the perfect mix of both worlds. But UT3's is probably the wrong game to evaluate a specific feature out of it. We won't see a similar implemention due to masses would go nuts on it. I don't think the community will accept any other hitsound than Q3's pitched sound implementation.

For anyone not knowing how UT3's system worked (which I think hasn't got implemented in UT at any point so far):

Spoiler
                              Having played enough UT3 to figure out that something like this actually exists in the game, I absolutely support the idea. I love how when enemies took bigger hits/were lower on health made bigger screams/growls. The funny thing about it is, that I never really consciously were aware that it works like this. It was a completely natural experience and feedback. Whenever I heard bigger screams, I instinctively went to finish off the kill. Only much, much later have I started become more aware of the fact that hit sounds are specifically implemented this way. It worked flawlessly.

That being said, as long as someone has armor, having something similar to the Q3 pitched "ping" sounds would be preferable. ONLY when they have armor though. If both armor and health is being damaged, both scream and ping sounds should be played.
                              Check out my work!
                              | Sci-fi Stinger-Minigun | Faction Weapons
                              | Localization

Comment

Working...
                              X