Voice Chat Functionality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice Chat Functionality

Voice chat is a big part of online gaming, unfortunately nearly every game company gets the whole voice chat system wrong. A simple in game voice chat system is a bad idea. If you are thinking of putting ingame voice and doing a real simple VOIP setup that is tied to the server/team, dont. Let us use teamspeak or some other third party voice chat software. Ive been playing BF4 lately and the ingame voice chat is utterly useless. While probably 70% of players have a connected MIC no one uses it because you cant control it.

Requirements for a good voice chat.
    -Be able to direct voice chat to headset and game to speakers. In BF4 everything is either headset or speakers, I dont want to hear people talking over the game. Make sure I can hear my clanmates on my headset and my game on my speakers.
    -Voice chat should be independent of the current server. It should be a configurable option that you can join a servers voice chat without joining the server for gaming. That way I can talk with my clanmates and at the same time be on a different server.
    -Out of game voicechat client. Let us use the server voicechat with a small teamspeak like client that I can use independent of the game. This way even if im not playing the game, i can still ******** with my clanmates.
    -Mute all functionality. Sometimes you just dont want to hear anyone talking, make it really easy to mute all players or specific players. Also remember these settings, if I mute player X because he does nothing but scream into his MIC, if I ever run into him again, I still want him to be muted.
    -Option to completely disable ingame voice chat. A rich ingame voice chat is a nice feature for new clans/players. For established clans with dedicated teamspeak servers, give us the option to either disable ingame voice chat. Or allow our ingame voice chat to directly connect to an external teamspeak server. Also allow for the clans entire servers voice chat to instead of use ingame voice chat, to use an external voice chat server. So if a clan wants all people on its dedicated server to use an external voice chat server like teamspeak, users are automatically joined. Im not too sure how easy it would be to implement this part, but I would assume teamspeak just uses a well known voip codec and port numbers at that point in time its all just UDP packets.
    PayBack

Yes a good working voice chat system would be nice. Being able to coordinate things, have friendly chat with other, and help out new players adds a nice human connection. I liked the voice chat system they used in UT2004, it was almost perfect.
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos[X] View Post
      I liked the voice chat system they used in UT2004, it was almost perfect.
      I'm with you on that.
      Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
      "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
      Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

ut2004 had a flawless voice chat system, it was easy to switch channels, had a good quality and i think the most important thing - had a lowering sound volume during talk (in compare with other 3rd party voice chats)
        Last edited by wsf; 06-02-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wsf View Post
          ut2004 had the most important thing - had a lowering sound volume during talk (in compare with other 3rd party voice chats)
          Exactly! I was starting to think I'm the only gamer in the world that uses loudspeakers!
          Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
          "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
          Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

i havent use the mic before

Comment

Doesnt let me hear people in game chat or party chat

Comment

My mic dies not work

Comment

Working...
                X