No announcement yet.

What HUD Elements are needed and why...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's try to keep the conversation focused on the HUD not scoreboards/etc.

TimEh I assume you are talking about a spectator HUD right?
    Last edited by JoeWilcox; 06-26-2014, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
      TimEh I assume you are talking about a spectator HUD right?
      Sorry. Yes the spectator HUD. I meant spectator HUDs for competitive viewing... though I'm not sure if there needs to be a separation
      Last edited by TimEh; 06-26-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

For example in the bottom right(where i currently have the playerscore) i would if given the option show

Accuracy(for specific mods like shock, sniper or instagib)
        Efficiency
        Frags/Point

This would basically look like

37%
        58%
        110/210

This plays to what level of information i need vs want, i don't need anything fancy but i do want options to put things like this straight into a spot on the HUD

This is what i mean by options, not just being able to take components and move them around on the screen but being able to change things to show more or less information, change art and font style, change the colour of an area

For example i hate the 2K4 and UT3 art style used in the hud and would change it to the simple UT1 style

The UT1 weapon bar whilst containing less information is still just as easy for me to read on the fly and is less intrusive, so i would choose something showing a similar level of information, but many others will need to see the detailed pictures and numbers of UT3

Lots and lots of customisation is a good thing here

Comment

Spectator HUD

I have a few ideas, this really ties in with spectator options though like picture in picture, split screen, in map camera points and so forth

On screen timers for power ups - this can get quite large since in any single 4v4 map you could have

2 pads
          2 armors
          belt
          invis
          keg
          amp

So maybe having some extended options like being able to pick what you see, default just being the high power ups and no pads/armor?

Switching between players is also a problem in spec, so we could show on screen a list of camera viewpoints, like each player, control point, flag or set camera can be a numbered hotkey

This so a spectator can just press F1 to switch to the red flag, for example or F4 for a certain player

Hotkeys are already used in this way by people who stream UT games as spectators, whether you're watching or just streaming this sort of thing is a good option

Finally if there is going to be a lot of stuff like this on screen then we need an easy way to swap between, sort of like a simple/immersive HUD mode, like how you could quick key disable the HUD in UT1

People spectating may want these options, but all that screen clutter is still ugly - so being able to switch it on and off as easily as you would the normal scoreboard would be very useful

Comment

I'd like to say that maybe there's no need for a weapons bar? That thing usually takes up so much space. My idea is to bring up a pop-up weapon bar every time you switch weapons that disappears after a second or so. This should probably be made an option to replace a static weapons bar since some people use scrollwheel which would make it hard to see how much ammo you have for weapons without switching to another weapon first (if you use binds, you can just hit the bind of the same weapon you have out at the moment to bring up the weapon bar again.)

Comment

Originally posted by Barktooth View Post
              I'd like to say that maybe there's no need for a weapons bar? That thing usually takes up so much space. My idea is to bring up a pop-up weapon bar every time you switch weapons that disappears after a second or so. This should probably be made an option to replace a static weapons bar since some people use scrollwheel which would make it hard to see how much ammo you have for weapons without switching to another weapon first (if you use binds, you can just hit the bind of the same weapon you have out at the moment to bring up the weapon bar again.)
              +1 for this proposition. It will help to get a clean screen with only relevant informations only when we want it

Comment

having scoring based on Assist, Caps and Grabs in CTF will make sure people Focus on Team-Work In CTF
                "For those willing to build a mount of bones and climb to the top, in environments that stun, against AI that kills, for those willing to stake their lives in pursuit of victory, we salute you."

Comment

I'd like to say that maybe there's no need for a weapons bar?
                  That kind sir.. is Blasphemy! But there should be a way to hide it.

Originally posted by Inferno
                  having scoring based on Assist, Caps and Grabs in CTF will make sure people Focus on Team-Work In CTF
                  Let's focus on HUD not scoring and scoreboards. That's a different day.

Comment

In addition to what's already been brought up (simple, visual clarity etc.) I immediately think of my phone when speaking of widgets. Will the HUD be customizable like a smart phone layout is? Something along the lines of what QL and CS:Go allows would be neat.

In regards to spectatorui I can only again refer to QL and CS:GO as those two combined would be the epitome of specui for an arena game.
                    QL has already been linked to in a video earlier so I'll just use two pictures to show how CS:GO does it:

They let you toggle X-ray vision so you can see every players position right on the screen, combined with the radar/map of CS this gives a pretty good overall look of where there is action etc. This works especially good for when games are broadcasted, but it also lets you as a regular spectator anticipate what's gonna happen and you might learn a thing or two a lot quicker than you normally would

Click image for larger version

Name:	JJ4eYII.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	329373

The second picture shows more of the options you have as a spectator in CS, granted, on anything more than a 10-man server this might get awfully cluttered. More indepth info like kills, deaths etc. is togglable for quick comparison between players.

Name:	dIkUEpW.jpg
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	329374

In addition I was thinking that individual player stats could be shown directly on the specatorui, what stats are shown would need to be adjusted pr gametype so it would be something like,
                    TDM: Kills - Deaths/Efficiency - dmg. given
                    CTF: Kills - Score - Flag captures/returns
                    DM/Duel: Kills - Accuracy - Items taken

More complete individual stats would be on the scoreboard.

Comment

Yes, that would be nice. Unreal II and XMP used exactly that (on the right side of the screen). Having it as an option would be nice.
                      Last edited by GreatEmerald; 06-28-2014, 03:36 AM.
                      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

The Unreal 2 system was nice because it was basically just numbers with ammo meters, wasn't it?
                        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

The weapon bar is absolutely essential. I need to know what weapons I'm low on. However, we could do better at displaying the ammo count better than a bar.
                          BeyondUnreal Podcast
                          r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

In UT3 VCTF I found the the minimap to be tacky, unnecessary for gameplay and, in fact, detrimental to the gameplay. The only meaningful feedback it gave was the location of the flags which I feel robbed the game of the 'hide-n-seek' aspect that larger maps had to offer.
                            RoseBumRPG - UDK Converter - Grenade Launcher Prototype - Lightning Gun Prototype

Comment

Originally posted by Trev View Post
                              In UT3 VCTF I found the the minimap to be tacky, unnecessary for gameplay and, in fact, detrimental to the gameplay. The only meaningful feedback it gave was the location of the flags which I feel robbed the game of the 'hide-n-seek' aspect that larger maps had to offer.
                              There should not be a map in CTF whatsoever. I mean if the bases are identical/symmetrical and you know the way around your own base then you can navigate in the enemy's base. I also like the weapons bar idea of it disappearing when you don't need it and appearing when you switch the weapon. It should be the second to last option when you +/- your hud.
                              History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                              UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                              UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Like I indicated before, there should be an option to provide minimap images and parameters for all map, but on most game modes that map should not be a permanent part of the HUD unless certain condition are met.
                                A map makes much more sense if the locational focus of the game moves around and the map can show that. Onslaught is a prime example by displaying power node locations, ownership and attack status. In Jailbreak we used the minimap to show teammate locations and made a player's dot pulse a little when the player took damage.

Name:	screenshot00149.jpg
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	329378

Whether VCTF really can profit from a minimap - who knows, it depends on what information other than a background image and the flag base locations are displayed. A game mode where a minimap may make a lot more sense would be (classic) Domination, especially if it includes teammate locations like we did in Jailbreak.

But all "no minimap on the HUD" arguments aside - there's always a good reason to show a minimap somewhere to let players learn the map more easily. Like I said before, we added a perspective minimap to the Jailbreak 200x scoreboard to show teammate locations and, more importantly, to let players learn the map layout more easily. (But maybe that's a discussion we should postpone until it's time to implement a scoreboard...)
                                <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
                                <TNSe> nono
                                <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
                                <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
                                <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
                                <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Working...
                                X