What HUD Elements are needed and why...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
    The Unreal 2 system was nice because it was basically just numbers with ammo meters, wasn't it?
    It showed small icons for the weapons (all put into number slots similarly to how it was in UT2004 ONS) with ammo in numbers below it: http://youtu.be/iaNJeKwkS_I?t=55s
    Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
    My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
      So the new UT has a HUD widget system that allows us to build our HUD in a nice modular fashion. Right now we have implemented most of the DM widgets from UT3 as a temporary solution and now I'd like to get the ball rolling on building the actual HUD for the game. My goal with this thread is to start this process by creating a list of elements needed for each game type and debate and discuss their purpose and importance. I'd like to break the discussion down by answering these questions:

What HUD widgets are needed for Solo Games?
      ... What HUD Widgets are needed for Duel?
      ... What HUD Widgets are needed for Standard DM?

What HUD widgets are needed for Team?
      ... What HUD Widgets are needed for Team DM?
      ... What HUD Widgets are needed for CTF/BR/DOM?
      ... What HUD Widgets are needed for ONS/ASSAULT?

On a separate thought what widgets should be made available for spectator HUDs and competitive viewing? Now of course some of the widgets will be unified across all of the game types and there are some widgets that have to be included. For example, you always need to display your health and we are always going to need a weapon bar. I'd like to keep the discussion somewhat higher-level on what's needed and what it's functionality should be vs. how it should look at the moment. Once we get a good list of widgets that we need to build, we can start concepting how they should look.
      we have an opportunity to do something differrent. You could set up the options for doing any of the classic versions of the HUD, note many games today don't have a hud, your health is indicated how bloodied the screen is.

Instead you could have indicators on your wrists in view 3D...camera views of your team mates could be pop out screens on any weapon. ....catch my drift?

Comment

I don't think there was a problem with the HUD in the previous games. At least i didn't have problem with any. Scoreboard and the way the game gives points is different tough. But that's off topic here.
        Last edited by Hektoerr; 06-30-2014, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinwitty View Post
          we have an opportunity to do something differrent. You could set up the options for doing any of the classic versions of the HUD, note many games today don't have a hud, your health is indicated how bloodied the screen is.

Instead you could have indicators on your wrists in view 3D...camera views of your team mates could be pop out screens on any weapon. ....catch my drift?
          ORLY... Please, continue! This line of thinking has promise, and intrigues me.
          Jim Brown
          @EntropicDev
          Epic Games

Comment

Ok, keep it simple starting out is an idea, lay things out to maximize and make use of visibility, information display, and screen space, some transparency will help in some areas, but hurt in others, so consider all lighting conditions with coloring, start simple.

What might help the content flow go more smooth temporarily, maybe a simplified checklist we can each make a copy of for our own workflows vs locating the bits and pieces throughout forum categories so we can focus on the parts we're more tuned or ready for implementing or working on.

Obvious thing starting would be:
            Health
            Armor
            Ammo
            Red Vs Blue Team Score
            Temporary Placement Control of Widgets From X and Y via Keyboard Input Arrow Keys to place on screen and size through same keys for width and height or all 4 corners independently, or temporary mouse drag and drop and lock into place something to note the values once at desired location, lock it from dynamic UI component editing, and regain full keyboard and mouse control.

I'd add some basic server information and that's about it for starters, one piece at a time with core functionality and test like mad.
            The Development Process:
            We take what we know and build something from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
              ORLY... Please, continue! This line of thinking has promise, and intrigues me.
              Yes! I'm a big fan of moving HUD elements into the game space too. It increases immersion and clears up the screen for more visibility. It would also work well with VR (which I think is going to be huge). Some thoughts off the top of my head: in the future it's reasonable to assume that it will be common for people to have implants or nanobots in their bodies that will measure its critical functions. Wireless chips or sensors that could read such implants may be integrated into weapons and would display player health and armor next to the ammo count readout. If arms were visible it could be done on a wrist band or "smart watch" of sorts along with other info, like a minimap that is displayed as a hologram when needed.

I would like to see some brainstorming and maybe even some concept art done here to see what other ideas might work, as I agree the idea has a lot of potential.
              Last edited by bad_infinite; 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinwitty View Post
                Like so?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	5269998_700b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	329409
                <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
                <TNSe> nono
                <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
                <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
                <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
                <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Blood splattering on your screen and similar things in UT3 were perfect examples of visual clutter that hurt visual clarity. I hide weapons so that I only see the environment.
                  BeyondUnreal Podcast
                  r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

HUD elements every mode should have

- Health
                    - Armor
                    - Ammo
                    - Weapon bar
                    - Timer
                    - Frags
                    - Power-up timer/uses if/when applicable (Amp, Boots, etc)
                    - Message log/chat

Team HUD general

- Team score (I think individual kill count should be removed from HUD during team matches as to put emphasis on team-play rather than K/D.)

CTF

- Flag indicators

DOM

- Node Status

BR

- Bomb Status (Which team has it? Was it dropped? Etc.)

ON

- Minimap
                    - Core health

Spectator

- General HUD Elements
                    - Power-up respawn timers
                    - Ammo counters for all types

Comment

Complementing what's been mentioned with some redundant things (health/armor etc)..

Novelty Stuff

* Death Probability Widget
                      * Win Probability Widget

General

* Health
                      * Armor
                      * Powerups
                      * Weapon Bar:
                      ** Ammo Count
                      ** Weapon Slot #
                      ** Weapon Icon
                      ** Ammo Count Bar
                      * Held Weapon:
                      ** Icon/Weapon Bar Highlight
                      ** Ammo Count
                      ** Ammo Count Bar
                      ** Firing Mode Triggers:
                      *** If primary/secondary has charge fire (hold), show symbol for that.
                      *** If primary/secondary only has instant fire (press), show symbol for that.

Team Games

* Your team widgets should be at the same location no matter what team you are on.

* Teammate Radar
                      * Teammate Info:
                      ** PlayerName
                      ** Designation (Alpha, Bravo, ...)
                      ** Health/Shield/Status
                      ** XY Radar + Z Indicator
                      ** Distance (Near/Far)
                      ** Has Objective (CTF/DOM)
                      ** Action (Charging Vehicle/Driving/Combat)

Objective-based Team Games

* Objective Status (Power Core %/Flag/Node/Respawns Remaining (MaxLives > 0), ...)

Comment

Weapon Bar: All weapons except the one you are currently using should be like 50+% transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by CoxUT View Post
                          Weapon Bar: All weapons except the one you are currently using should be like 50+% transparent.
                          Depends. If the weapon is visible, for me it would be the other way around. Why would you need to have the weapon you are holding more visible than others you might want to switch to...
                          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

A few games have fully adjustable huds. I think as a modern game UT should have that aswell

Click image for larger version

Name:	carousel_hud.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	329449

Comment

Looking at the existing HUDs, a couple of things jump out at me in regards to how it communicates with the player:

1- the color.
                              2- the weapons bar.

In UT3, while the HUD elements are colored to reflect your team, somehow it doesn't stand out as well as in earlier versions of the game. There were more static elements in earlier versions, and so more of the screen appeared in the team color. You felt very blue if you were on blue, and you felt very red if you were on red. Yet it was transparent, simple, clean, and didn't interfere a lot with the visuals. This brings me to the weapons bar. In earlier iterations, a simple silhouette represented each gun instead of a full color graphic. I find the full color graphic to be more distracting, and muddy of the screen more. In UT3, the weapons bar is dynamic. It's nice that it takes less of your screen, and the effects are cool, but as the weapons aren't displayed in an entirely consistent location, you have to look more closely at the weapons bar to see what you actually have, whereas in UT99, you can see the highlighted numbers in your peripheral vision, and without actually reading them have an idea of what you're carrying. Also, the ammo gauge under each weapon was handy and easy to read. It was the simple colors, consistent placement, and simple contrast of that HUD that made it so effective at communicating information to the player. Could it be improved upon? Certainly. Is it the best layout for veterans of the game? I don't know. Ultimately being able to customize it to your needs is ideal, but if we could have just one layout, I would vote in favor of something like the UT99 HUD.

Comment

I still don't know if there should be two players health/armor indicators fo duel spectating. For most of the time it makes everything more interesting but in comebakcs not having it makes watching more exciting. Watched first match of Rapha vs Evil and at the beggining i thought taht adding health information for both players would be good but at the end i wasn't so sure anymore. What a great match.
                                Last edited by Fartuess; 07-09-2014, 04:44 AM.
                                Unofficial Enforcer Model
                                Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
                                X