What HUD Elements are needed and why...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bad_infinite View Post
    Yes! I'm a big fan of moving HUD elements into the game space too. It increases immersion and clears up the screen for more visibility. It would also work well with VR (which I think is going to be huge).
    Originally posted by bad_infinite View Post
    It would also work well with VR (which I think is going to be huge).
    Most HUD elements in games simply aren't designed for 3D/VR, and I hear it's one of the more serious obstacles when trying to play them with those features.
    This is probably going to be essential for next-gen games in the coming time.

Comment

The message center for messages, taunts, portraits that UT99 had at the top of the screen was the most effective out of all UT's IMO.
      Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Thing is, all other UTs had the messages near the bottom, along with health and weapon details. In UT1 the health and weapon status and chat area were scattered across the entire screen. I wonder which approach is the better one.
        <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
        <TNSe> nono
        <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
        <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
        <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
        <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

I had a HUD extension idea you might like, about also later extending parts of the HUD Information to a Secondary Screen like I posted in this thread:
          https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...7609#post87609
          The Development Process:
          We take what we know and build something from that.

Comment

If the HUD system is modular, perhaps make it user-customizable modular, and add a ton of non-essential widgets that the user can stick onto the HUD themselves?

Could then also add basic non-game things like:
            - Real-world clock (surprising how lacking this is in games - might suit the scoreboard better)
            - CPU temperature (easy to make a CoreTemp plugin or such - can be community-contributed)
            - GPU temperature (think for NVidia that's easy enough)

Could also add support for other more advanced plugins - off the top of my head:
            - IRC or IM box
            - Server browser watcher (queries individual servers occasionally, and lists their map/players; useful if waiting to join a currently full server)

These are all very niche things separate from what is necessary for the game, but if the HUD is made very modular/user-customizable, all that kind of extra stuff could be considered, and would provide a whole range of opportunities for custom community-made HUD widgets (for security though, might require a whitelist of what clientside code/widgets are allowed).

A lot of people run overlays from other programs ingame, to show things like GPU temp anyway, this'd just be nicely integrated into the HUD.

Comment

The question is: What benefit does a CPU/GPU temperature display give? I see a point in having a real-world clock, but computer health parameters? If you overclock your machine and it won't run stable, a serious match of UT likely isn't the best place to find out.
              <elmuerte> you shouldn't do all-nighters, it's a waste of time and effort
              <TNSe> nono
              <TNSe> its always funny to find code a week later you dont even remember writing
              <Pfhoenix> what's worse is when you have a Star Wars moment
              <Pfhoenix> "Luke! I am your code!" "No! Impossible! It can't be!"
              <@Mych|Lockdown> ...and the award for the most creative spelling of "Jailbreak" goes to ... "Gandis Jealbrake Server"

Comment

Originally posted by Wormbo View Post
                The question is: What benefit does a CPU/GPU temperature display give? I see a point in having a real-world clock, but computer health parameters? If you overclock your machine and it won't run stable, a serious match of UT likely isn't the best place to find out.
                True, they may not be the best examples (I'd still find them very useful though - I like to keep within certain temperature parameters, for longevity more than stability)

Those are just random ideas though - the main benefit of what I suggest, would be having a user-customizable-modular HUD, that you could potentially put anything on.

Comment

A game timer/clock that will count up OR down.
                  Options

Comment

Would it be blasphemy to have your team mates positions always visible to you?
                    I'm talking about a no clip shader that outlines the mesh when in screen boundaries.

Also I'd really like to see extended features in the score page.
                    While holding tab the mouse could be released on movement and show the cursor.
                    At that point you can mouse hover ppl names and see stats, or click on mute buttons and other stuff.

Comment

Every game's HUD has been pretty effectively functional, so here's some less obvious considerations:
                      • Many people disable on-screen chat and strictly use console. Having the ability to disable chat but keep death messages etc would be nice. Some people want neither and an empty chat box in the HUD wouldn't do them any good, so if that's implemented then it needs a removal option.
                      • Timed Overtime gametypes need a HUD Clock solution. If you go into 5 mins of timed OT it'd be helpful if the clock counted DOWN instead of UP. Showing 1st, 2nd, 3rd OT etc could be more of a scoreboard/presentation issue but reversing the clock direction is an annoyance that can be avoided in relevant gametypes.
                      • Weapon bar info should be as clear as possible and easy to read via peripheral vision. UT2004 added colored text when you switched weapons but for some reason was turned all white in UT3. I actually think this colored text could even be replaced (in an advanced/minimal hud option) to be something even more informative and concise, like maybe a colored ammo indicator. UT3 did add more of each weapon's unique color to the weapon bar itself, which I think helped make it easier to parse weapons. If ammo and weapons each have their own unique silhouettes and colors to make them easy to identify, then there's no reason not to continue this in the HUD itself.
                      • HUD countdown timers for active powerups (i.e. showing how much time is remaining on your amp) is a debatable topic but it's something UT3 added. Boot jump counter on paper doll added in UT3 was also effective.
                      Last edited by conX5; 07-28-2014, 03:27 AM.

Comment

Current Location Name
                        Drawn in the upper left region by default?

It helps make players aware of what the area is called when they look up teammates on the scoreboard.
                        Traditionally, that information has only been present on the scoreboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Shambler View Post
                          If the HUD system is modular, perhaps make it user-customizable modular, and add a ton of non-essential widgets that the user can stick onto the HUD themselves?

Could then also add basic non-game things like:
                          - Real-world clock (surprising how lacking this is in games - might suit the scoreboard better)
                          [...]
                          +1

Just some words to lengthen my post to more then 10 characters.

Comment

Originally posted by ramses View Post
                            +1

Just some words to lengthen my post to more then 10 characters.
                            You could add arguments for/against instead, or time it so that the thread gets bumped up and such posts have a function. :P

This was mentioned as a probably in one of the streams. It's a community effort as well, and if skinning is needed, as was suggested by one/some, you need to load materials on the client and deal with stuff like that. Own font converter? It'd be a mini editor project. Having a palette of widgets is the way to go.

Comment

Okay... "I don't want to ALT+TAB or ALT+ESC or take out my cellphone just to check what time it is. Therefore a real world clock, integrated in UT4's heads up display, would be very useful" ;P

Kidding aside, I think user-customizable modular HUD elements (call them widgets or whatever) are the way to go. It's hard to make everyone happy by providing one single HUD-layout. Some prefer game X's layout, others game Y's. Some don't want to get certain informations, etc. Allowing players to build their personal HUD to a certain extend is likely to satisfy a larger part of them. Of course there needs to be a default layout for those who just don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by ramses View Post
                                Okay... "I don't want to ALT+TAB or ALT+ESC or take out my cellphone just to check what time it is. Therefore a real world clock, integrated in UT4's heads up display, would be very useful" ;P

Kidding aside, I think user-customizable modular HUD elements (call them widgets or whatever) are the way to go. It's hard to make everyone happy by providing one single HUD-layout. Some prefer game X's layout, others game Y's. Some don't want to get certain informations, etc. Allowing players to build their personal HUD to a certain extend is likely to satisfy a larger part of them. Of course there needs to be a default layout for those who just don't care.
                                Chapter 1: Bonding with your HUD

As for the clock, I want it to use the ISO 8601 standard YYYY-MM-DD, and not the Sony variant YYYY/MM/DD, or the US MM/DD/YYYY etc, and I want a 24-hour hh:mm:ss clock, not 12-hour am/pm, and, and I want ANOTHER clock with an EST time zone, so I know when that US stream starts, as I'm in CEST, and, it should adjust for daylight savings time as well, no, wait, the system clock should get that job done, well, except for EST, unless DST is used for EST, does EST have DST? oh and I want it to use a monospace font, the hours should be colored brighter, then, no, wait I want only the date on the left, and the time on the right, and I've always wanted a vertical clock for some reason. Yeah, there are enough choices there.

Comment

Working...
                                X