Settings menus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] Settings menus

In the latest version I have added Player and System Settings menus to the game. You can get to them via Esc->Options.

Feel free to suggest other items that you feel should be added. Better, if someone could poke in the code and look into adding some more widgets and/or prettying it up, that would be awesome

I think ATM the most popular ones would be

FPS limit, on/off and a box to change the limit number, most people hate playing at 60 fps and unlocked can cause issues too

Key bindings

Number for things like FOV and mouse sens instead of a slider...

Volume controls

Brightness/gamma

(temporary measure)
    More post process options, since people need to use the High setting to play maps like deck and curse but they don't need things like motion blur... some non lighting option would help with FPS

Hide/show weapon - this makes a big perceptual difference to gameplay

Comment

I was thinking since maybe people did not know they can edit their user.ini off game, maybe make it an option in the settings bar. You can have an "advanced settings" options bar and your user.ini will pop up and you can configure it in game. I can't really code but maybe I can set a template of what it might look like.
      History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
      UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
      UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
      UT Main Menu Design

Comment

+1 for editing user.ini via advanced settings.

Comment

Some of settings from ut2k4 that could be in game!

Video Settings:
          Brightness
          Gamma
          Contrast

Player Settings:
          Default Fov
          Prefered Team
          Weapon Hand (Left, right, hidden)

Game settings:
          Weapon Bob
          Landing Viewshake
          Weapon Switch on pickup
          Gore level (No gore, reduced gore, full gore)

Comment

I have an interest in the menu system in general (having designed a mockup for it), but I have zero experience with c++, and very limited experience with programming in general (one introductory Java course, and messing around with Game Maker Studio). There doesn't seem to be as much documentation for Slate, and precious few tutorials. Any recommendations on how to get started? I glanced at the code that's in there, but like I said, I'm at a loss, and judging from the few comments in there, it's pretty rough.

Comment

@VampireJesus what is your mockup? Mine is this. It is pretty much a copy and paste of UT2k4 but a combination with Uwindow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	773.6 KB
ID:	329573
              History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
              UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
              UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                @VampireJesus what is your mockup? Mine is this. It is pretty much a copy and paste of UT2k4 but a combination with Uwindow.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6077[/ATTACH]
                I don't actually have one for the settings menu specifically, but I had been working on some ideas in another thread awhile back, here. It's very much in the (controversial) vein of UT99 Uwindows (as is the current implementation, I might add )

Comment

Don't forget to add a "player name" field in the Player Options. It's much more commonly used than you might think.
                  Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
                  "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
                  Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by DDRRE View Post
                    Don't forget to add a "player name" field in the Player Options. It's much more commonly used than you might think.
                    ^This! So very much!

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                      Video Settings:
                      Brightness
                      Gamma
                      Contrast

Player Settings:
                      Default Fov
                      Prefered Team
                      Weapon Hand (Left, right, hidden)
                      ^^^^^^^^^^ and hopefully the Link secondary is centered with hidden weapon hand =P

Comment

If you're looking for a starting point, UT2004 had a pretty thorough Settings menu. I believe binding Suicide and adjusting Netspeed and Mouse Sensitivity values were the only things players really needed console for (after the UTComp additions). At LAN events they would actually disable console usage to avoid any possible chance of using any unauthorized commands. More advanced HUD options and Crosshair Creator would be welcome additions although that's probably another thread altogether.
                        Last edited by conX5; 07-28-2014, 09:29 AM.

Comment

A screenshot for those who can't see it themselves would be great

Comment

I'd really love brightness, gamma and contrast settings too, like some mentioned before.

Originally posted by ramses View Post
                            A screenshot for those who can't see it themselves would be great
                            Well it's rather big, you might wanna google "UT2004 settings menu" and then check the images, it shows what I mean
                            Last edited by Avalanche._; 08-28-2014, 05:47 PM.
                            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Maybe a more general comment to the settings section. In the old UTs the correct settings to be 'able' to play online had mostly to be done in a settings.ini. I guess we all remember crunching those INIs to death and I remember long discussions about POV, rolloff, netspeed and brightskins. I think nowadays we should do this as easy as possible to make the overall game settings as easy as possible and also END THE INI MADNESS. (sorry for the caps... but the whole post condenses really down to just these words...).

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X