Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] In-game (Escape) Menu Concept

Let me know what you think!

(see attachments, last updated 22-Oct-14, v6e-mini4)

NEW: Get the PSDs here (v6e, v6e-mini2).

Features (last updated 22-Oct-14):
    • The second the menu opens up, any keystrokes will be forwarded to the chatbox, which will use public chat by default.
    • Pressing enter on a blank line will switch between team/public chat (there's also a clickable button for that, which is color-coded to the other team's color when in public mode, in order to catch your eye before you post tactical info to public chat).
    • Players on the playerlist can be right-clicked to reveal an additional menu for "Message / Add as friend / Vote kick / Mute"
    • All non-chat messages (kills/joins) are suppressed when entering the menu. Perhaps a checkbox can be added in the menu to "Show server messages".
    • The HUD and all non 3D-game-world graphics are hidden when entering the menu.
    • There's an avatar with social info on the bottom left, with a red notification icon for invites/messages. Clicking the "friends online" text or the notification icon will open up the social center, with capabilities to invite players over, message them, and respond to invites/requests.
    • The whole screen and buttons are tinted based on which team you're on. The game world has a light team-colored tint applied to it with very slight blur.
    • The "Team/Spectate" button opens up into a team selection / switch-to-spectator button. If spectating, it will read "Join".
    • We can additionally consider coloring the "switch to Blue" in the relevant color (i.e. if the menu is red, the switch team button would be blue). If a team-switch is unavailable, the button will be greyed-out. If a team-switch requires a player from the opposite team, the button will flash until the request is fulfilled or timed out.
    • A "favorite" button is available to bookmark the server.
    • Exit and Minimize buttons are also available in the form of "X" and "_". Pressing X will prompt you if you want to exit the game. If you just want to return to the main menu, the "Exit Match" button is available at the bottom.
    • The scoreboard isn't displayed, but can be opened by clicking the "2th Place" text (perhaps adding an "open scoreboard" button underneath will do the trick).
    • Debatable, see v6e-mini3: Add a top bar with all features that aren't related to the match being played, such as "create local session/multiplayer", "options", "server browser" and so on (basically the bar we have right now in the main menu).

Scaled-down form, with the main-menu header (v6e-mini4):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot00001v6e-mini4.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	353741

"Low-DPI" version, without the header bar (v6e, PNG):
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DDRRE; 02-18-2019, 09:58 PM.
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

When i hit Esc i want the ability to Quit to desktop in addition to Main Menu.
    Also a Resume choice use to be present when you hit Esc.

Other than that most of the stuff that needs to be there is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger View Post
      When i hit Esc i want the ability to Quit to desktop in addition to Main Menu.
      Also a Resume choice use to be present when you hit Esc.

Other than that most of the stuff that needs to be there is there.
      "Quit to Desktop" functionality is brought by the "X" button or by Alt+F4.
      Another Esc = Resume.
      "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
      Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

It looks crowded and not with the information I'd want to see... At least have player scores somewhere.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          It looks crowded and not with the information I'd want to see... At least have player scores somewhere.
          Like I said, you can always see player scores in-game through F1, I don't see why you should be drawn outside the game to see the scores. Battlefield does this too, and scores matter there a whole lot more than in UT.

Perhaps it can be an additional window.

Also, what makes it look crowded? Please elaborate.
          Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Originally posted by DDRRE View Post
            Also, what makes it look crowded? Please elaborate.
            The message of the day mixed with ping and other things as well as the weird box below it. The layout is also rather weird, I'm not sure why you'd put the change team button so much out of the way. The centre is also pretty empty, and the centre is where your eyes are drawn to.
            Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
            My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

The message of the day mixed with ping and other things
              The MOTD appears when pressing ESC in UT3 and I think it's a great place to put it.
              I also added real-time ping info and general server data to easily share the IP and game info.

the weird box below it.
              The chat messages turn into a chatbox.
              If the chatbox position was different in-game, it would've been different in the pause menu. You could also notice it's a chatbox due to the flickering type cursor (doesn't appear in the mockup).

The layout is also rather weird, I'm not sure why you'd put the change team button so much out of the way.
              Like I said:
              All one-click or server-related buttons are placed on the side to prevent clicking them by mistake.
              Also, when you're logged in as an admin, you'll have the Admin button there.

The centre is also pretty empty, and the centre is where your eyes are drawn to.
              I kept the center empty so you can keep track of the action, note that I didn't add a significant blur effect to the first-person view.
              Last edited by DDRRE; 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM.
              Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Music player is unnecessary and I think the friendlist/reminder is too big with the picture. Otherwise it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffekerel View Post
                  Music player is unnecessary and I think the friendlist/reminder is too big with the picture. Otherwise it looks good.
                  I actually thought about making the music player a widget and not a button, but I had a spare button I had no label for.
                  Perhaps it could be a mutator config menu, instead of pressing F5 you'd have the UTComp configuration integrated into the ingame pause menu.
                  Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

More comments please!
                    Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

I dont like that its spread out in all directions.
                      We will use the mouse, why not make a simple menu for all this?

Comment

I like showing what team you would change to if you change. That's a good idea as is positioning all of the elements under the scorebaord at the top.

You are mixing styles which just ends up being confusing. For example, you have big text buttons that share the same background as the chat window and they are all contrasted with the "_ X" system menu at the top. The MOTD text styling doesn't match the chat, etc.

Also, big font text buttons are pretty ugly and would never make the cut.

Try to refine the whole UI a little. It has some good elements but the large font use really wastes a lot of space. Playing off of your current design I'd do the following:

I'd half the height of the bottom menu bar and move the player's card to the right followed by the menu "Change Team | Server Browser | Options | Exit Match". Directly above it, I'd have the text chat entry line with the "channel" button on the right. If you really need the player list have it go up the right side of the screen with a button to hide it. Remove the extra shadowed background of the chat and just have it displayed going up the screen above the text entry line fading out as it approaches the MOTD. Keep the MOTD mostly the same but add a "Like" and a "Favorite" small action button (like your channel button in chat) above the server name. I would swap the server name/ip address above the game summary.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                          I like showing what team you would change to if you change. That's a good idea as is positioning all of the elements under the scorebaord at the top.

You are mixing styles which just ends up being confusing. For example, you have big text buttons that share the same background as the chat window and they are all contrasted with the "_ X" system menu at the top. The MOTD text styling doesn't match the chat, etc.

Also, big font text buttons are pretty ugly and would never make the cut.

Try to refine the whole UI a little. It has some good elements but the large font use really wastes a lot of space. Playing off of your current design I'd do the following:

I'd half the height of the bottom menu bar and move the player's card to the right followed by the menu "Change Team | Server Browser | Options | Exit Match". Directly above it, I'd have the text chat entry line with the "channel" button on the right. If you really need the player list have it go up the right side of the screen with a button to hide it. Remove the extra shadowed background of the chat and just have it displayed going up the screen above the text entry line fading out as it approaches the MOTD. Keep the MOTD mostly the same but add a "Like" and a "Favorite" small action button (like your channel button in chat) above the server name. I would swap the server name/ip address above the game summary.
                          True, I just whipped something up real quick and didn't pay much attention to the graphics, only taking care to put things in the right position.

I've attached the latest version. I didn't understand what you meant by moving the player card to the right.. the only way I could make sense of the rest of your suggestions was if I moved it to the left, for the menu buttons to follow it.

I removed the button boxes, and made the "Change Team" button glow based on your team (same effects still apply, clicking it will make it fade in/out until the switch has been approved).

I also moved the player list to the right and added a button to minimize it (it's necessary for friend invites or PMs).

I moved the "Favorite" button to the server details area, but I don't understand what function will a "Like" button serve in addition to a "favorite" one.

I also added a tint based on what team you're in (perhaps it shouldn't be based on team and kept on a constant, perhaps customizable, color, see how nice it looks for the blue team)

P.S. when you click the "Favorite" button, the star becomes yellow and its shape is filled as well. Additionally, the whole button will be more opaque.

Let me know what you think!
                          Attached Files
                          Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

That was my bad.. I meant move the player card to the left like you did. I really like it. I'm still not sold on the button style for the menus buttons. It seems dated and I think you have enough room to make them each a single line. The difference between "Like" and "Favorite" is that I want a system to "vote up" a server. Maybe "Like" is the wrong team, use "Review" maybe? Tint by team is a good add. Can you use Perna's new shot as the background instead of the dreary *** UT3 https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...today-s-stream.

For the menu buttons see if you can modernize it a bit. Instead of a colored glow, maybe just a colored underline? I know know for sure what but I really like the evolution. Great work.

Comment

What about merging the ServerInfo and Players fields?
                              That way it will be less spread out.

Comment

Working...
                              X