First Pass at HUD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] First Pass at HUD

I wanted to take a stab at redoing the original UI from UT. Interested to see what people think. I was going to do a lot more but didn't want to spend anymore time if people hate it
    Attached Files
    Stacey Conley
    -----------------------------
    Unreal Tournament Community Manager
    Epic Games, Inc.
    Twitter | Twitch | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | Pinterest

That's what a UI should look like :nostalgia

Comment

That's a hell lot of Shock Rifles you got there in your UI Flak! Would've expected more Flak Cannons.

Jokes aside, I'm fine with it. In fact, the UT99 and UT3 HUDs were the best for me and it'd be a hard decision. I'm not sure if I'd want the health to be up there on the right or on the lower left where frags are right now.

Did you choose green on purpose? Because if so, I think green could be a good default colour (alternatively, white could do it too).

EDIT: Just noticed the head of the HUD guy might be a bit too small.
      Last edited by Sly.; 07-26-2014, 04:08 PM.
      S l y .

Comment

+1

Looks great, can i get it in purple or grey?

Comment

I like it
          Also hope that UWindows is getting reintroduced as the game menu system this time around. That and the configuration and customization options in ut99 is the best in the series.
          **** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2 ****
          64K RAM SYSTEM 38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
          READY.

Comment

I'm very much in favor of the UT99 HUD. I found it have the greatest visual clarity, and readability of all of them. I know that the new game is not UT99, but this is a case of "if it's not broken, don't fix it."

Comment

Tiger, I'm hoping for a system like in UT where you can pick your colors and hud size <3
              Stacey Conley
              Epic Games, Inc.

Comment

It's certainly the UT1 UI. Not very original, though

The issue with the UT1 UI has always been screen sizes. It just can't transfer well to different aspect ratios with an interconnected bottom row like that (on 16:9 the HUD becomes super huge). That's one thing the UT3-like "loose" HUDs are better at, as you can reposition elements at will.
                Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I think the Time Clock should be in the top middle or top right. I want the chatbox to be in the top left.
                  History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                  UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                  UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                  UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                    Tiger, I'm hoping for a system like in UT where you can pick your colors and hud size <3
                    What about transparency degree and colour? It would be customizable as it was in ut99-2k4 ( I know I konw its very soon to say something for lol)?
                    Last edited by darksonny; 08-10-2014, 04:15 AM.

Comment

I was hoping for more of a build your own hud type of hud. With positional elements and deeper customization.
                      First thought was it looks like UT99 and that has already been done.
                      I thought we were supposed to be getting/building a NEW UT?

Comment

Originally posted by darksonny View Post
                        What about transparency degree and colour? I would be customizable as it was in ut99-2k4 ( I know I konw its very soon to say something for lol)?
                        I agree with more transparency, especially with the background 'boxing'. (Optional) Although the flat grey background is probably hiding the transparency.

Also a health bar option, not just numbers, and ammo bars with numbers would be helpful, like to see the number of rockets without having to switch to it.
                        Last edited by Esula; 07-26-2014, 07:32 PM.
                        [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
                        [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

Yeah there should be transparency.

I wanted to try something new but I loved that old HUD so much.

I'll try something new too. I was disappointed how it looked over the concept Chris showed in the stream.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Flak; 07-26-2014, 09:46 PM.
                          Stacey Conley
                          Epic Games, Inc.

Comment

I'll try something new too. I was disappointed how it looked over the concept Chris showed in the stream.
                            Hmm, I think it's a step in the right direction, maybe remove the 'boxing' around the weapons but keep the outlines or silhouettes, keeps it simple and clean.
                            [Concept] Impact Hammer: Alternative Fire
                            [Concept] Game Mode: Infiltration

Comment

So, I love some ideas behind this concept.
                              The team logos at the top instead of "red team, blue team" are very ace. This could even be extended in clan matches where clans can have their logos instead of the default UT logos.
                              The weapon bars are fine and I think the idea of having transparency would be awesome since I used that in UT2k4.
                              What I think should probably be iterated on is the position of the player card and the timer. I really understand that this is the old school look, but I'm not sure this works these days.
                              My suggestion would be timer in the center and player card located bottom left .
                              The is very well done and I look forward to seeing how this progresses.
                              Last edited by jayoplus; 07-26-2014, 10:21 PM.
                              MyArtstation
                              @jayoplus

Comment

Working...
                              X