UT Main Menu Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] UT Main Menu Design

This a little mockup that I created for the Game Settings Menu. I want some feedback before i moved into Audio Settings and also I hope it does not look like a console menu.

Click image for larger version

Name:	game settings menu.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	880.0 KB
ID:	353025
    Edit 1:

Name:	pDvcgoN.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	329652
    Edit 2:

Name:	Main Menu.jpg
Size:	975.1 KB
ID:	329708
    Edit 2 3D:

Name:	Main Menu 3D.jpg
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	329726

Redesign of the Main Menu - Aug 30, 2014

Name:	mainmenu.jpg
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	330192

Name:	SinglePlayer.jpg
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	330193

Name:	Practice Menu.jpg
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	330194

Name:	settings menu.jpg
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	330195

Name:	backgroundsettings.jpg
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	330196

Name:	Main Menu Redesign Botmatch.jpg
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	330220

Name:	Main Menu Redesign Tournament.jpg
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	330219
    Last edited by SDAHeatWave; 08-31-2014, 04:16 PM.
    History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
    UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
    UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
    UT Main Menu Design

the buttons tabs in blue, I see all the word too stretched maybe you could make a sort of font control by adding some margins inside the button and give a same treatment for all button's letter so that way they all does have the same size and letterspaces

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
      I hope it does not look like a console menu.
      It does, actually, now that you mention it. All widgets are huge and that's a lot of mouse movement needed to press stuff. A menu DPI option would be nice for HiDPI displays, though, I'd gather.

I always liked the Unreal II settings menu. Very comfortable and uncluttered, and makes frequent use of "master detail sliders" so you wouldn't have to set things manually:
      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Before I start editing the settings menu, I wanted to make sure if the whole layout doesn't look like a "console" menu. If so any suggestions of how to make less console.

Name:	pDvcgoN.jpg
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	329652
        Attached Files
        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

The problem I have with the top screenshot is just that it is soooo busy. Maybe I'm being unfair because it is a settings screen
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
            Before I start editing the settings menu, I wanted to make sure if the whole layout doesn't look like a "console" menu. If so any suggestions of how to make less console.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6269[/ATTACH]
            The layout is not bad, although it's confusing how there's a wrench, Settings, and Tools. Same with Game and Multiplayer. Sounds exactly the same.

Comment

Name:	Main Menu.jpg
Size:	975.1 KB
ID:	329708

Here is an update on the settings page. Haven't add the adjustable bars for brightness, contrast and fog settings.
              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Nice, I like the shapes and general modern simplicity.
                Also, "Foilage". "Don't enable this setting! Ah curses, foiled again..."

Comment

I made a 3D version of the previous shot that I posted. I do not know if UT4 will be in 3D since a lot of movies and games are probably making a transition to 3D.

Name:	Main Menu 3D.jpg
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	329726
                  UT Main Menu Design

Comment

For a multiplayer lobby should be built where the player then can log the server of their choice such as in the Pre Alpha already think it is a really cool idea
                    Therefore, it is with the Main Menu so einse thing

Comment

The general shape looks promising, but I think also this one lacks that style the maps have.

This flat style is fine for ingame / overlays but the main menu should artistically close to the game design

Comment

Since there has been a lot of UWindow type menus, I decided to redo the design and came up with this. It is a similar to Cascade but did it my own style. Please take note this is in a resolution of 800x600, I will do one for widescreen.

* Here is just the main menu, pretty much UT99 main menu.

Name:	mainmenu.jpg
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	330192

* Then when we click to Single Player

Name:	SinglePlayer.jpg
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	330193
                        It will pop up a screen that shows two modes you can play: Tournament and Practice Mode. Underneath the two tabs it will give you a description of the Tournament or Practice mode and on the Right they are gameplay Screenshots.

* If we click Practice Mode,

Name:	Practice Menu.jpg
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	330194
                        I decided to not put any map description because I really do not think it is needed there. However if you feel that it should be in there, Ill put it in. The description for each gametype is where the the description for Tournament/Practice Mode used to be.

* Now, for the settings menu. It is pretty much copy and paste from the last design.

Name:	settings menu.jpg
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	330195

* Finally, for now, if we go back to the main screen you will see that there is a UT logo. Well once you click that logo, the toolbar (SIngle Player, Multiplayer, Stats, Settings, Mod) will be replace by a new toolbar that has Background, IRC, TeamSpeak and Social Meida.

Name:	backgroundsettings.jpg
Size:	388.4 KB
ID:	330196

Under background you can edit the background as, cursor, themes, and color schemes.

So what are your thoughts.
                        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

You should drop the second screen entirely and have instant action pre-pressed. Nobody wants to go through that extra click every single time. And speaking of which, don't call it "practice mode", that's something entirely different. It should be either "Instant action" or simply "Botmatch".

The map description should be somewhere. I don't see any other place you'd put it in than the main screen, so...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                            You should drop the second screen entirely and have instant action pre-pressed. Nobody wants to go through that extra click every single time. And speaking of which, don't call it "practice mode", that's something entirely different. It should be either "Instant action" or simply "Botmatch".

The map description should be somewhere. I don't see any other place you'd put it in than the main screen, so...
                            The map description fits in the practice menu. See:

Name:	Main Menu Redesign Botmatch.jpg
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	330220

As for the dropping the second ss, i think it is best to leave like that for the new people. Also i had in mind that it would remember that you clicked "Instant action" so it will be preclicked next time you hit single player.

Edit:
                            Here is how Tournament looks like:

Name:	Main Menu Redesign Tournament.jpg
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	330219
                            Last edited by SDAHeatWave; 08-31-2014, 04:10 PM.
                            UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Here is the Input layout so far

Name:	Main Menu Input Settings.jpg
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	330235

Name:	Main Menu controls.jpg
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	330244
                              Last edited by SDAHeatWave; 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM.
                              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Working...
                              X