Main Menu design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Main Menu design

Hey guys, since i currently don't have the money to get me a subscription to start some mapping i figured id try something a bit different.

here is a first stab at the main interface for the new game, it tries to combine what we know and loved about UWindows with some more modern interface designs.

its just a first screen with some initial ideas.

the character on the right would be the players selected character (including all "hats")

credit for the logo on the bottom goes to crotale, i took it from his thread over at the art forums

also made a quick menu flow overview for my own reference, i probably missed some stuff so let me know what you think.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CaSCaDe; 08-02-2014, 10:44 AM.

Hey Cas

Looks good to me, simple, but we know from UT3 that you shouldnt overcomplicate UI:s

Comment

Originally posted by Wowbagger View Post
      but we know from UT3 that you shouldnt overcomplicate UI:s
      very true, i like simple and clean interfaces, hence this attempt

Comment

Nice and clean, I like it.
        Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
        My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Awesome work. Keep it up.

Comment

This is very nice op ! It looks really clean and relatively straightforward. There's just a few things that are a bit off about it. What is with the Multiplayer > Matchmaking under the play tab? is that for bots or online multiplayer? its a bit confusing. Personally I think that the "Servers tab" should be named Multiplayer, and inside you put what was originally under the multiplayer tab. And.. you forgot the IRC-look alike client from ut99 perhaps name it "Channel"?

p.s That single player description, LOL! :^)

Comment

Originally posted by paranoid_banana View Post
              What is with the Multiplayer > Matchmaking under the play tab? is that for bots or online multiplayer?
              my reasoning for that was if people dont want to deal with a buttload of servers to pick and choose from they can just hit play and select what they want to play and the system will automagicly plot the player in a server.

Originally posted by paranoid_banana View Post
              p.s That single player description, LOL! :^)
              BACON!

Comment

Posting these thoughts from another thread I started some time ago:

There also has to be a serious discussion about how the game's "menu" should look like. As for now I believe you have three options for this:
                • UT99 like: have a fast loading window with a simple menu
                • classic launch game and have a full screen menu
                • Battlefield 3 and above: use a browser and a plugin

I'm not really sure what I like best, but I tend to prefer the first and last option. Having to wait any amount of time until you can only start to search for a game has always annoyed me (in Team Fortress 2 for example: launching the game before being able to actually do anything takes way too long even with an SDD, and I don't really see the point to it.) So since websites get more complex by every day and browsers can handle so much stuff, and also because most of us have their browser open all the time anyways, I guess the browser + plugin way of doing this would be the smartest. Maybe it is even possible to do this without the need of a plugin?
                XMP | THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
                  Posting these thoughts from another thread I started some time ago:
                  This should really be in a separate thread... But basically, options #1 and #3 aren't mutually exclusive. With #3 you can have something like the XMP server list, except with the IPs/server names being clickable (something like a ut4:// protocol). That would skip the menus and instantly start the match, just like it used to in the UE2 days, and no plugins required.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    This should really be in a separate thread... But basically, options #1 and #3 aren't mutually exclusive. With #3 you can have something like the XMP server list, except with the IPs/server names being clickable (something like a ut4:// protocol). That would skip the menus and instantly start the match, just like it used to in the UE2 days, and no plugins required.
                    Hey Emerald
                    A UT4 protocol would be sweet; the greater workload would include having the player's profile, firends and stats on there. All of which would be faster and more streamlined to have in a browser than ingame where you have a limited amount of menus/windows and screenspace.
                    XMP | THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
                      Hey Emerald
                      A UT4 protocol would be sweet; the greater workload would include having the player's profile, firends and stats on there. All of which would be faster and more streamlined to have in a browser than ingame where you have a limited amount of menus/windows and screenspace.
                      Sure, and it's not even that difficult to do since all the data is stored in the cloud anyway (or at least was for UT3). But, of course, that shouldn't come in the expense of an actual fullscreen menu, just as an additional way of launching things.

And nice to see you back too. We need more people familiar with XMP in these forums!

Comment

I actually did some work on utxmp ages ago

But to get back on topic Joe Wilcox already stated that all menus would be done in slate and that any html5 or other stuff would not be used. I personally also am not a fan of Web based interfaces since I always have way to many tabs open as it is, for me it just slows the whole process down. I like to launch a specific application that then allows me to do my business, fast. but that's just me.

Comment

a little update to the main interface - just some minor tweaks and additions

mainly the background logo, the bottom logo and a player card showing the player name, player clan, friends online, new messages and upcoming scheduled clan matches

also..... server browser....

credits:
                          The background image is by Ivo Nies - its an entry for the polygon art competition.
                          the background ut logo is by Hi-Ban over at the art forums
                          the character is an Epic UE4 demo character
                          Attached Files

Comment

I like it alot.

Id like an Advanced option in the serverbrowser, maybe next to "Locked", for stuff like Region, Mutators, Maps, Official, Search servername and if the server has Map rotation etc.

Oh, and the playeramount doesnt add up between left and right window

Comment

Nice and clean.

The X in the corner might be a usability thing, especially when viewed in windowed mode on Windows (but that's always confusing). MacOS has different window widgets, I believe.

Someone showed a server browser concept listing available spectator slots, seemed like a nice inclusion.

Good to follow the familiar star symbol for favorites. I imagine a hollow star appears in the "All" list, so you'd just click it to make it a favorite.

In case you want to select multiple game types to list, a list box would typically allow only one to be chosen.

UT2004 had a server filter button, that allowed you to filter servers based on a number of criteria.

We do work from 0 specifications here, so there's probably a lot of redesign coming.

Comment

Working...
                              X