End Game Scoreboard and statistics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] End Game Scoreboard and statistics

Updates: #01 - #02 - #03 - #04 - #05 - #06 - #07 - #08 - #09 - #10 (part 1 - part 2 - part 3)
    New Version: See Update #10.

---------------
    Hi guys!
    This is my very first thread on the forums, so please be kind During the past few days I focused on the scoreboard design to see what would be best suited for a game like Unreal Tournament.

On one of the past live streamings the developers talked about visual clarity, mainly for the art direction: I tried to come up with a scoreboard concept using a simple style that revolves around transparency and square shapes but contains a lot of information regarding the ended match. What I generally want to see from a competitive game are statistics of all types that are easy to find, easy to view and easy to understand. That would be the next thing to work around and surely will be more difficult to put a great example of diagrams, graphics and statistics.

Before you see the pics, may I introduce you some elements.

1. What is "Performance"?
    You may have just noticed a strange colored, team-based stick labelled with "Performance". The Performance would be an algorithm that calculates the impact of the player on the match. A scoreboard usually shows in order the players that succeeded on gametype's main objectives (number of kills in a Team Deathmatch or number of points and flag stats on Capture the Flag). But in a team, cooperation is an important factor and while one of the players of your squad may not have helped on score the flags, he may have helped to kill the enemies or defend the team's own flag. Because the game can't summarize in one place all the stats, the "Performance" graph helps you and the other allies to see your "weight" on the match's final result. Also, if your connection has not been in good shape but you did a nice match, the "Performance" algorithm would take that in account too and reward the ability of the player of doing a good job even on poor conditions. That's why in one of the pics you can see the 2nd player have a much more higher Performance statistic.

2. Why Profile Pics?
    Profile Pics are a good way to show who and what you are in the game, beside your own custom character. While I feel signatures, dogtags and other items are unnecessary, a Profile Pic is a must-have, at least for me.

3. Where are key icons, how would you select and explore all that?
    Logic. Good sense. Intuition. I would like to have most of the elements activated by a single action, like arrow keys to scroll or use the mouse to explore and open different windows. In short, common keys and buttons that are universally known by all players: in real life you have in mind what to do in daily life situations, so why repeat every time on screen what you need to do in your daily gamer life? There're exceptions, as you can see on the Full Profile pic of Joe.

4. Why these colors in the DM concept?
    I liked the way Halo and other shooters used colors to show and identify a player. The colors you see in the DM concept is the color chosen by that specific player and that you would find in a way on their in-game character. That specific color also affects other elements: you can see Flak won the match, thus her color is on the UT logo, on map and rules description, etc... Same for the team that won a match of TDM or CTF. Anyway, take in consideration this is just one concept.

I want to know your feedback! And your ideas on scoreboards, leaderboards and stats
    And sorry if I won't be able to reply on-time, this is GamesCom's week and I'll be busy 24h a day to fill up a news site!

1. Victory screen 2. TDM Scoreboard

1. CTF Scoreboard 2. CTF Profile selection 3. Profile

1. DM Scoreboard 2. DM Profile selection and Profile stats

P.S.: Notice that the concepts are not perfect!

*Credits*
    Unofficial backgrounds and some of the profile pics are from the great gooba's concept thread (link).
    The UT logo and designs are from the HenrikRyosa's thread (link).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DarkAp89; 02-13-2015, 03:28 PM.

Nicely done. Despite feelings about it being mixed, I think this is the best anyone has integrated any of my logos into a concept to this point.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Ignoring the style, I like the information displayed there. Certainly something I'd love to see between CTF halves and in a lobby while waiting for the next map to download.
      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

I really like this. The performance part is really neat idea to improve team play. Maybe tone down the colors a little. Otherwise this is probably the best score screen ive ever seen in a UT.
        PayBack

Comment

you know what you should do? it is not really about collecting things youve seen, you like and that work out, but find the concept behind all this.
          frags for example is just a bodycount. starting from there.. what information do we have? we know which weapon killed a certain guy. add badges like "combowhore" or "impressive" like in QL. show worst villains, most kills, hype the players that made a difference. people's skills need attention and we have to adress that. emphasize on things that you would like to see, invent something new! rather than copying stuff that is just established.

right now it is just a scorescreen. i find it honorable that so many ppl in here do things, think through things and come up with stuff. so please get feedback, question it and do not trust anybody, not even yourself.

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
          performance thingy
          all of us should start to work out things from scratch and nail em. show us your algorhythm! do a mindmap (tools are online)!

Comment

Thank you guys for your feedback on colors! When GamesCom is over, I'll update the projects!

Originally posted by duffte View Post
            all of us should start to work out things from scratch and nail em. show us your algorhythm! do a mindmap (tools are online)!
            Heh, for now I just put out this idea of an algorhythm that should include and tweak all the values to give a final result to the players and their weight in the match.
            I'll try and see what I can do with the tools! But if anyone else wants to explore that (and is surely more experienced than me eheh) is welcome!

Comment

Are you going to one with 4 teams since that is what a lot people want to see in UT4? Also about the performance, what happens if someone loses connection/disconnects them reconnects, how will it calculate the performance?
              History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
              UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
              UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
              UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                Are you going to one with 4 teams since that is what a lot people want to see in UT4? Also about the performance, what happens if someone loses connection/disconnects them reconnects, how will it calculate the performance?
                I'll update this thread with modified versions and new concepts, so maybe in the future I'll post one with 4 teams.
                About the performance, if someone loses the connection is technically out of the game and won't receive a valuation. The one who enters in his place should get it, but would be better to not report it in the Game History (Top and Worst Performances) if he doesn't play more than a half game.

Comment

Originally posted by duffte View Post
                  you know what you should do? it is not really about collecting things youve seen, you like and that work out, but find the concept behind all this.
                  frags for example is just a bodycount. starting from there.. what information do we have? we know which weapon killed a certain guy. add badges like "combowhore" or "impressive" like in QL. show worst villains, most kills, hype the players that made a difference. people's skills need attention and we have to adress that. emphasize on things that you would like to see, invent something new! rather than copying stuff that is just established.
                  Hmm, interesting... An award section, like in Worms, could be fun. Highlight the one who scored the most flag caps, had the most assists, even the most deaths, and give the awards some original names.
                  Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                  My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

There is a whole lot to like here. I like the simple lines and bold colors and the player card is very well thought out. There is a bit too much extra info for me (Performance = score for the average person so have just 1) but if you can make it fit, I'm fine with it. However... your next task would be to make it fit 32 players at 720p and be readable at a glance. Solve that and I'll go to bat with Perna for you!

FWIW: He's on vacation though so I'll go to bat next week

Comment

Is there any chance to make General view scoreboards customization by each player ? Starting from graphical template to the things we want to have, like other player weapon accuracy, flags carried etc.

Comment

Even though I'm not completely sold out on the layout (not saying that it's bad!), I really do like the concept of an end-of-match information/stats page as detailed as this.
                        The only things missing is damage numbers and weapon accuracy for each player and their used weapons during the match.
                        This should be easily accessable on the fly for spectators during a match, as well as for all players when the match is finished.

Some tweaking at this design and it would be really nice! Keep it up
                        Last edited by Pyth0n; 08-12-2014, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                          There is a whole lot to like here. I like the simple lines and bold colors and the player card is very well thought out. There is a bit too much extra info for me (Performance = score for the average person so have just 1) but if you can make it fit, I'm fine with it. However... your next task would be to make it fit 32 players at 720p and be readable at a glance. Solve that and I'll go to bat with Perna for you!

FWIW: He's on vacation though so I'll go to bat next week
                          That's an interesting challenge! When Gamescom is over it seems I will need to work a lot on this Thank you for your precious post Joe!

Comment

Originally posted by Pyth0n View Post
                            Even though I'm not completely sold out on the layout (not saying that it's bad!), I really do like the concept of an end-of-match information/stats page as detailed as this.
                            The only things missing is damage numbers and weapon accuracy for each player and their used weapons during the match.
                            This should be easily accessable on the fly for spectators during a match, as well as for all players when the match is finished.

Some tweaking at this design and it would be really nice! Keep it up
                            Please consider I just played UT3 back then and I may not know everything of the Unreal Tournament past design choices.
                            Regarding damage numbers and weapon accuracy, can you tell me if these were featured in the scoreboards of past UTs?
                            If not, do you think they'll be more suited to show on a separate page along with other stats?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
                              Please consider I just played UT3 back then and I may not know everything of the Unreal Tournament past design choices.
                              Regarding damage numbers and weapon accuracy, can you tell me if these were featured in the scoreboards of past UTs?
                              If not, do you think they'll be more suited to show on a separate page along with other stats?
                              I'm not sure about ut99 since it was many, many years ago I played it, but in UT2004 there was a competitive mod called UTComp that logged statistics during matches like this;
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	utcompstats.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	329845

It is not needed on the scoreboard, but should at least be able to reach easily on a second tab or something when the match has ended.
                              Last edited by Pyth0n; 08-12-2014, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X