"Colorful" health and armor icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Colorful" health and armor icons

I thought about something which could be implemented, to let the spectators or even players in game, have a better chance of seeing their current HP and shield bar. I am absolutely not sure if that was repeated in any shooters, since I sticked only to the UT series. If ithas actually happened before, forgive me.

My suggestion is, to remove the skin which is shown close to HP and shield, because it simply takes too much of the screen space. Believe me or not, but that kind of "details" are not really useful during the game. To replace that skin "functionality" (which was showing available armors in the body parts), I would love to propose you using a style as following:

- Health icon color changing into one of the colors (red, yellow, orange, green), depending on the amount of health
    - Armor icon color changing into one of shades of blue (why not the same system as above? Because lack of the shields does not critically depend on a players death), depending on the amount of armor

To illustrate, I tried to draw some easy images. I am not a graphic, so please forgive me the quality.

Thanks for reading the post and giving any feedback to that easy system, which would only improve the gameplay.
    Attached Files

Hey shx, nice to see you contribute in to helping making the new UT

As a fellow UT2004 player this is probably the best idea to come up with regarding showing the team players health, sometimes its hard to see when theres a double damage battle who should take it.
    This decides pretty much the factor of NW tdm 4v4 alot.

Hope to see this implemented into the game!

I misunderstood the concept but i thought if a player has 199 hp the skin color would be green, 100 hp skin color would be blue.
    That would be better imo.
    Last edited by THEIMPOSSIBLE; 09-01-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Excellent!

Yes, this is a great idea. I was thinking of something similar the other day while watching some Starcraft II. They display the current resources each player has, the collection rate, display team, event and sponsor logos on the map (only visible to the observer/s). Some of the stuff that would be cool to implement (for 1v1 at least. I think it would have to bee modified for team games otherwise the screen would be filled with UI Elements):

• See the current Weapons (and maybe an ammo indicator) each player has.
      • Also highlight current equipped weapon.
      • Powerup and Weapon spawn timers.
      • Health, Armor/shield values.
      • Current location / Mini cam for the other player.
      • A gun for the observer to draw. For example: Highlighting areas where people dodge off from etc.
      • An easy way to use hot keys to swap between different UI elements / show hide UI elements.

Most of this was inspired by this video from Starcraft II showing off some of the features for Gameheart (the mod for SC2). You can watch the full feature video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEcfKevJXY

So thumbs up!
      ~ Benoyd ~

Comment

I like concept and idea behind this, actually in ut2004 if you are on low hp, the bar would start to "blink" and indicate you are on low hp. However I do see this kinda concept also something that should still be in game for like if you are low hp the bar starts to blink and change colour to red, if you are full Hp change colour to green.

Comment

Really cool idea, couldn't think of any downsides!

Comment

Excellent idea.
            Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
            "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
            Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Good ideas here. The model of the skin is not needed I agree with that. Maybe it could be kept optional for those who want to keep it?

About the colors, I think the change of colors is nice. I kinda agree with THEIMPOSSIBLE though in terms of 100 health color:

Originally posted by THEIMPOSSIBLE View Post
              I misunderstood the concept but i thought if a player has 199 hp the skin color would be green, 100 hp skin color would be blue.
              That would be better imo.
              But the color theme could be made customizeable too. It's just a matter of assigning the colors to different variables.

Comment

I'd rather see an icon and a number symbolizing the health of each player (again, assuming it's a duel). It's more precise and it eliminates issues telling the HP for the colour blind.
                ~ Benoyd ~

Comment

Originally posted by THEIMPOSSIBLE View Post
                  As a fellow UT2004 player this is probably the best idea to come up with regarding showing the team players health, sometimes its hard to see when theres a double damage battle who should take it.
                  This decides pretty much the factor of NW tdm 4v4 alot.
                  That would be also a good thought to have it as a small overview, available for team-members and spectators. It could improve and facilitate so badly the gameplay or a spectacle.

Originally posted by Immelmann View Post
                  Yes, this is a great idea. I was thinking of something similar the other day while watching some Starcraft II. They display the current resources each player has, the collection rate, display team, event and sponsor logos on the map (only visible to the observer/s).
                  That's a great idea aswell! If I manage to find some time, I will try to draw how would my dream spectator POV would look like. I have also a couple of ideas for that, will do my best to look into it.

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                  I like concept and idea behind this, actually in ut2004 if you are on low hp, the bar would start to "blink" and indicate you are on low hp. However I do see this kinda concept also something that should still be in game for like if you are low hp the bar starts to blink and change colour to red, if you are full Hp change colour to green.
                  You're also right here. It was hard for me to visualise it all, while I have only mastered (so far!) Paint skills. I would clearly like to see that blinking icon/number while a player is "nearly" dying.

Originally posted by lo2dk View Post
                  But the color theme could be made customizeable too. It's just a matter of assigning the colors to different variables.
                  Agreed!

Originally posted by Immelmann View Post
                  I'd rather see an icon and a number symbolizing the health of each player (again, assuming it's a duel). It's more precise and it eliminates issues telling the HP for the colour blind.
                  And that what I am also hoping for - having both displayed on a screen: a colorful icon and a number of HP and/or shield. I didn't want the numbers to be removed permanently.

Thank you for your great feedback guys so far!

Comment

Working...
                  X