Henrik's Menu, UI and HUD concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] Henrik's Menu, UI and HUD concepts

So, moving on, I'm going to start exploring some ideas for the various in-game interfaces.

This is a layout demo only at present. It will be skinned up.

(Updated: Watch the video first.) Here's my first attempt at a main menu.

-This is the first screen, not any character settings menu, the dropdown is just an example of what a hovered dropdown would look like.
    -The logo shown is not the final choice.
    -The background is a placeholder from UT3 obv, but I envision some actual level faded in a similar way, perhaps showing subtle animation or perspective change, a scripted cinematic, particle effects etc. All subtle.
    -Functionwise I think it would be good if it operated a bit like uWindow, but much more modern and easy on the eyes.
    -"Feature" area randomizes, changes at an interval, sliding in and out. It does not need to be community artists, it's just an example. Others could be featured competitions etc.

Attached Files
    Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 09-22-2014, 09:28 AM.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Cool. –°haracter on the right side will always be in front of your eyes? Or only when you press the button? I understand that when you click your character is in the middle of the screen, where there will be a variety of menu customization.

Comment

The "feature" would slide in and out, just an automated and randomized thing. Maybe it could pull from a database or something. It doesn't necessarily have to be a character or anything to do with the community per se, it just got positioned that way and that's what I used. Maybe a new featured gametype, or match, or competition - it could be anything.

Comment

b-but I like that logo..

some random thoughts:

- what would be displayed under "about"? maybe it could be merged with credits
        - I like your idea of levels and animated particles, also maybe we can use that space to give some narrative background of characters, so Lauren would get a mine like this http://bit.ly/1u3SRMn
        - had an hard time understanding that those two flash symbols were in fact an U damage
        - the big menu bars remind me of a console game, but I'm perfectly fine with them
        - awesome idea to recognize our Man with "community artist GOOBA". Imo should even have an easter egg: clicking on the bridge of the "A" would equip Lauren with a shiny pendant

Comment

I like the general look, but something that immediately jumps out to me as odd are all the non-parallel angles. I drew some lines over your image to show what I mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UTMainMenu-Henrik-Annotated.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	330434

Comment

Originally posted by threadlock View Post
            I like the general look, but something that immediately jumps out to me as odd are all the non-parallel angles. I drew some lines over your image to show what I mean.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7829[/ATTACH]
            Yes you are right, I planned to address that in the first update. I actually hoped someone would point out that it bothered them.

Comment

I really think that this is a good start for the main menu, I agree with the non parallel angles, but one thing that I really do like is the positioning of the menus and tabs. It really incorporates all of the UT series styles, without really going into one of them entirely. One thing I have noticed is some people have wanted the menus to go back to the UT99 small Windows 98 style menus, and in a way, this actually incorporates the idea of it really well.

Comment

Originally posted by wsdrdsw View Post
                b-but I like that logo..

some random thoughts:

- what would be displayed under "about"? maybe it could be merged with credits
                True. The items are basically placeholders, but worth thinking about what would actually be where.

- I like your idea of levels and animated particles, also maybe we can use that space to give some narrative background of characters, so Lauren would get a mine like this http://bit.ly/1u3SRMn
                Yeah all kinds of ambient stuff could be done with the space, backstory clues is one good idea. Though I'm not sure too many people would understand that particular association.

- had an hard time understanding that those two flash symbols were in fact an U damage
                Maybe animated it would click more quickly in peoples minds. That's what I meant with layers and floating. Just having some subtle visual movement going on behind the quick menu.

- the big menu bars remind me of a console game, but I'm perfectly fine with them
                Yeah. I think the bottom line is nobody likes to have to squint, and the menu should have some sort of shape to it. You know... be obvious. What people want is the functionality and that's where 2kx and UT3 failed in some ways.

- awesome idea to recognize our Man with "community artist GOOBA". Imo should even have an easter egg: clicking on the bridge of the "A" would equip Lauren with a shiny pendant
                Yeah, just a place to recognize and announce various stuff really. Then loading screens can further show off artwork as well.

Comment

I like it so far. This is a good start to a solid direction for a menu.
                  Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

That logo should be the final one!
                    work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Main menu update. Now far more interesting I think, more parallel, has more depth and color but still unified feeling. I also replaced "Credits" with "Marketplace". Thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	UTMainMenu-Henrik2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	330437

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                        Main menu update. Now far more interesting I think, more parallel, has more depth and color but still unified feeling. I also replaced "Credits" with "Marketplace". Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7832[/ATTACH]
                        Looks really awesome, but I must say I can't stand the sporty look. Not a fan I guess.

I'd prefer something more gritty.

Comment

While it looks fine it does not seem to give the power and options of a UWindows based solution. Imagine each mod having its own entry, its own settings etc.
                          UTLauncher - standalone Unreal Tournament server browser / Download / Github
                          ut.rushbase.net - free community hosting for Unreal Tournament assets

Comment

It looks very sexy in my opinion, just the kinda sporty look the new game seems to be going for.

Seeing that character at the right, I think it would also be a neat idea to have your (modified) character display there with some stats (kills, deaths, ratio, killing sprees, etc etc) instead of community news.
                            Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
                              While it looks fine it does not seem to give the power and options of a UWindows based solution. Imagine each mod having its own entry, its own settings etc.
                              There is no reason why a UWindows variant cannot be fashioned in this menu. UWindows in the original game has a base menu bar and tree setup to access the individual menus. Henrik's menu appears to have some flexibility to accommodate.
                              Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Working...
                              X