No announcement yet.

Henrik's Menu, UI and HUD concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I surely like your menu concept, Henrik!

Not sure what to say other than: It is fresh, modern and it could still be transformed into a U Window style menu with this setup. *wink* *wink*
    The picture in the background should definitely change depending on what you're doing, e.g. show the individual level screenshots in that spot.
    S l y .

Comment

Yes, the intent is fully that it would function like uWindow.

Sporty vs "gritty" aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, and remember that skins are also possible.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
        Main menu update. Now far more interesting I think, more parallel, has more depth and color but still unified feeling. I also replaced "Credits" with "Marketplace". Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7832[/ATTACH]
        Much better. It looks awesome! Personally, I love the sporty look that seems to be trending as I think it's a lot more appropriate for a future blood-sport.

Comment

I don't like the layout at all, to be honest. It's too cluttered, the diagonal lines are awkward, Instant Action and Favorites should be aligned somehow, and character customization should have it's own screen, not just a small area. I also don't like the sporty look, it should have a gritty sci-fi feel.

I'd prefer a console-style menu. It makes the experience more immersive.

I love your art, Gooba, but this design just doesn't work for me, personally.
          Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Nick perhaps you should read the original post. This is not a character customization screen... (and I'm not Gooba)

Comment

Oh, definitely love this. Something in this fashion would more than work for me. Of course, finished with the appropriate amount of elements from the art direction of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                Nick perhaps you should read the original post. This is not a character customization screen... (and I'm not Gooba)
                My bad, sorry. I was sidetracked before. The hover over idea is okay.
                Last edited by Nick_D'Amato; 09-17-2014, 07:50 PM.
                Sound designer, composer, flash game dev, and Unreal mapper. My Soundcloud. My games.

Comment

Originally posted by FictionalRiot View Post
                  Oh, definitely love this. Something in this fashion would more than work for me. Of course, finished with the appropriate amount of elements from the art direction of the game.
                  Yeah, final quality artwork is needed to take any such ideas to their final polished state, just to see how it all works together.

Comment

Looking really nice here.
                    How about you also try to add some similar looking bits to Windows' Aero and/or Metro interfaces. I always imagined that if the UWindows GUI is to return to UT, it should be heavily Aero-inspired (and now also have a bit of Metro in it).
                    The new UT is coming along nicely...
                    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

I guess you mean somewhat flashier looking because if anything it's already a bit like metro (flat color and clean shapes). I can experiment with giving the menus and bars some volume, but want to be careful about heading in too slick a direction too quickly. What I have here now is really just meant to flesh out basic shapes and layout. Next I intend to make a video mockup so people understand it better. Then we can start thinking about skinning direction.
                      Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 09-18-2014, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Excellent start Henrik. Really liking the clean, modern look.
                        Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

This looks really good, keep it up!

Comment

Updated OP with a video demo. The color change at the end is just an experimental theme change idea.
                            Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 09-18-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

After that I actually do think it should be kept about as simple as it is now. Maybe a bit less, but the current one is close.
                              The new UT is coming along nicely...
                              Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

Yeah I'm sure there are many ways to tweak it but the basic idea is there. For example of course I'm not sure about staying with the diagonal dropdown, might be getting a bit too fancy with that idea.

I hope my concept communicates how much of an advantage it would be to do new things in the main menu like show status of important matches, also have everything like the tutorials, marketplace and even favorites at the fingertips. All of this will keep players coming back for longer by reminding them of everything new that is happening - they don't have to go hunting it down themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X