No announcement yet.

Henrik's Menu, UI and HUD concepts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the basic style with those diagonals. I would personally prefer a menu with a little more detail and far more options, like in UT99. With too little elements or too flat surfaces, the visual style tends towards console or free-to-play games, imho.

Comment

I like the idea.

But it lacks color. and more importantly it lacks depth and clarity. its all way to flat, sort of like Windows 8 UI. you cant tell at all what is clickable and whats not.

Some lessons could be taken from UT99. A menu shouldn take up the entire screen, if there isnt a need to.

The pictures should be clear as day ingame screenshot, like from various maps or something.

Modern games today are always getting to fancy with their menus. the worst is when you click and you have to wait before stuff happes, because it moves around, sure it looks fancy the first 5 times, then it just becomes annoying.

The brilliant thing about the UT99 UI is that its compact, it does exactly what you need it to, no fuss. You can get into a game in a matter of a few clicks.

I feel like modern games could learn a lot from it. I dont even think anything in UT99 menus where more than 2 clicks away, no matter what you wanted, controls, servers, graphics. many times today you have to dig into 3-4-5-6 layers of menus to find stuff.

Comment

Please keep in mind, RMJ that this would function similar to uWindow, but better. You say everything important should be 1-2 clicks away. I agree. But UT99 did not have favorites on the main screen, or a quick way to see what was going on in the game/important matches. This does. Also tutorials, marketplace etc. So yes, the design in terms of graphics might undergo tweaking, but everything and more that you love in your UT99 menus is there.

You have a strange design philosophy when it comes to utilizing screenspace. You're saying, essentially that the whole menu should be crammed into a space no bigger than 5% of the screen. And the rest does what? Show a pretty wallpaper? That's useless. When there is a submenu to show, it will replace the content of the main screen. But the menu bars will always be there. That's effective use of screen space.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
        Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I see this design as a dashboard, more akin to a portal to the game, art and related events. As I have said before, there should be built-in customization to include custom skins along the lines of how the Xion Player works.
          Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I like the style of the UI, but I was sort of hoping to see some clean metallic graphics (reminiscent of classic UT's menu in a way) and a bit more "epicness" from a new UT4 menu. I dunno, I think we should explore a variety of themes at least.

Comment

I'll "epic" it up later this week don't worry.

Comment

Ugh, I'm not a fan of this. The angles might look awesome at a glance but it will become way impractical. You have to do weird mouse movements and do weird collision predictions to traverse it... If you made everything straight, then it might be good.
                Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Sorry Henrik, i'm loving your logo's and gave a chance for the menu, but it really didn't stick with me. I just don't think this is a menu for a franchise this big. Just like your logo (remember the first 10#?) You should just keep going with it You might find something that is cool.
                  work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Didn't I write in the first post that it's just a layout prototype? Maybe I wasn't clear about that. But I've said at least twice in this thread that it will be skinned up more properly. Don't concern yourself about the graphics right now.

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                      Didn't I write in the first post that it's just a layout prototype? Maybe I wasn't clear about that. But I've said at least twice in this thread that it will be skinned up more properly. Don't concern yourself about the graphics right now.
                      In which case you should have, you know, made an actual layout prototype without the graphics. In fact, I would be quite interested to see how the layout looks if you remove all graphical elements (grayscale, squares or other clear shapes only, just like for logo work). As it is I can't see the layout through all that bling...
                      Unreal Tournament 4 eXpanded MultiPlayer (UT4XMP) efforts
                      My website, listing all my Unreal series mods and mutators

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                        Not Graphics, structure-wise. I don't like the way you want the people to join games or interact with Unreal and what it is. I didn't want to be rude but that menu is so 90's, and the way people play games right now, social-wise, video/stream-wise, e-sports, like.. everything, that menu does nothing for today's world.

You based your idea from Unreal Tournament 3, and that menu was dated before it launched lol.

IMO, people who want to do a concept of the menu, should play at least 5-10 good games of esports and the way they interact with the user. How they communicate with you and how they capture the essence of the game and make it easy for you to compete. That's why I quit doing a menu, didn't have time

It's probably the hardest thing Epic will have to do, and I'm not so sure if we will be capable of doing it.

Comment

Heisenberg (for some reason, I want to call you Walt) I think you may be too focused on e-sports side of things. Honestly, as I said before the menu should be a true portal to the game, not just a menu to access the application. To do this, you need a dashboard, which is what I see this design becoming. Sure, it isn't there yet, but it does have the rough idea laid out so that we can fashion it into that real portal. Having direct access in view of the main menu page is important to building and maintaining a bigger and stronger user base.

I reviewed the menus for the top e-sports games and they offer nothing overly special in my opinion that we not fashion into ANY menu design. What I like about Henrik's current design is that is allows the flexibility to add or remove components in modular fashion, meaning it works for e-sports or any other venture into community based activities, even internal clan activities. That is pretty effing slick, don't ya think?
                          Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

I was once a Walter White, but i had a bad trip and turned into Heisenberg. lol

Anyway, i disagree. This menu does nothing for me (at least right now) and it is not a "portal". You reviewed menus for the top e-sports games, good, and do you know why the companies want those kind of menus? Look at the new release of the League of Legends menu. That is refined, and that is a League of Legends portal. Unreal needs that kind of thing seriously, it has to be immersive. I would prefer UT99 menu over this, and instead of the wallpaper we could just have the option to customize it at our own needs with Apps or other things.

Sorry. I won't mind if Epic wants this direction, just had another view of what the menu might be.
                            Last edited by HeisenbergTrip; 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Yes, those other menus are refined. This concept is a very early draft. Why not work to see if we can really flesh it out instead of discarding it altogether? In one of the previous streams, I asked Epic about a UWindows variant making its way into this game and Joe and Steve both said UE4 actually uses something much like UWindows. This means the functionality is already built-in; we just have to figure our how to incorporate it in a meaningful way that allows in-game menu access, settings and community events all from the same animal.

What are your specific ideas that this concept is missing?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                                In which case you should have, you know, made an actual layout prototype without the graphics.
                                I disagree, and could do without the snarkiness as well. I am a graphic artist. I like to put graphical ideas out there, even if they aren't necessarily the final product. Did I intend that people say "oh gawd that's the hottest menu evar, put that in game nao!"? No. Did I hope there might be things here and there people might latch onto and want to see develop? Yes, and many here understood that and gave me feedback I could use thankfully.

If you want to give people useful feedback in the future, less "ugh"es and "you knows" and get to your point in a respectful manner please.
                                Last edited by HenrikRyosa; 09-22-2014, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X