Medals for types of kills/killstreaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medals for types of kills/killstreaks

Just a random thought I had, what if we had medals for certain types of kills (Shock combo etc) or killstreaks? It could be in a halo style where they pop in down the left as they are now or they could be less of a thing and just be like Counter Strike styled only showing up with like a headshot or wallbang.

Thought that it would be an easy idea to implement if the community liked it, would like to hear your guys views on it.

Already sort of existed in other UT games (combo *****, flak monkey, head hunter). So yeah, sounds good to me. Fantastic suggestion Kyle S. Phenomenal. Welcome to the forums.

Comment

Actually this is a good incentive to keep playing and gives players something to brag about. Gears 3 had a very good medal system and I'd like to see something like that in new UT:

Medals: Complex meta-achievements. (Win n games of n mode, etc)
      [screenshot]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3UOrQvwWFM0/maxresdefault.jpg[/screenshot]

Ribbons: Minor achievements limited to player's exploits in a single game. (Multikills, first kill of the game, etc)
      [screenshot]http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/575433-gears-of-war-3-xbox-360-screenshot-the-ribbons-your-earned.jpg[/screenshot]

Of course this is not something vital, but it's best to have all the necessary stuff added into the codebase from the very beginning.
      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Not trying to be the proverbial stick in the mud, but Halo, CoD and other such shooters are based on military style medal and decorations because the main characters you play as are military, which relates back to real world medals and awards. As UT is a bloodsport, you have to think of what type of awards you might receive in a sports game in the real world. Awards needs to be relative to the type of game.
        Promotional consideration brought to you by: Tarydium Shards, those neat little projectiles that remove unwanted flesh...from your opponents!

Comment

Personally I dislike this kind of extrinsic reward system because they destroy my long-term desire to play the game. But I'll readily agree these are probably a good idea to have in the game as an option (I just really would like a way to opt out of it myself, irrational though that may be).
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
            Personally I dislike this kind of extrinsic reward system because they destroy my long-term desire to play the game. But I'll readily agree these are probably a good idea to have in the game as an option (I just really would like a way to opt out of it myself, irrational though that may be).
            Care to elaborate that? Just curious to see why a long term ranking or reward system would make you not interested in playing the game.

Comment

I'm all for trying anything to get new players hooked to UT. A system like this would have no impact on game play so I'm all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                Care to elaborate that? Just curious to see why a long term ranking or reward system would make you not interested in playing the game.
                Typically when a reward system like this is in a game, I have a Pokemon-like desire to "Catch 'em all." But once I've fulfilled that goal I tend to lose interest. On the flip side of that coin, if a game makes it too tedious to acquire the rewards, then I also lose motivation to play because the game has made the reward system too much of a grind. Even the purely cosmetic guns in CS: GO ... I found myself wanting to boot up the game just to idle in servers hoping to get drops, and I knew at that point the game's extrinsic reward system had ruined my desire to play the game for the game's sake.

It might be irrational, but then human emotions and motivations are irrational. So I really would rather prefer to be able to hide / disable this kind of thing for myself, because I know even being able to see it will influence my perceptions and motivations.
                Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

quake live had this since launch and it didn't hurt anyone

Comment

Add more Pokemon to the game after release, problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                      Not trying to be the proverbial stick in the mud, but Halo, CoD and other such shooters are based on military style medal and decorations because the main characters you play as are military, which relates back to real world medals and awards. As UT is a bloodsport, you have to think of what type of awards you might receive in a sports game in the real world. Awards needs to be relative to the type of game.
                      I wasn't saying this should be medals and ribbons as well, I just listed what Gears had and how these were different. Although yes, this has to be tied into the lore, UT being a public entertainment show provides plenty of ways of how these can be handled.

...because I know even being able to see it will influence my perceptions and motivations.
                      But... you will know that it's there, hidden!
                      "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                      - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                        I think the theme of the game doesn't matter in relation to medals, UT could feature Shock Combo medals etc unique things to UT. I get where your coming form though but I think the theory of it can be transplanted quite well.

I agree with you, I wanted to complete every Halo Reach medal there was. I just thought it would be a good way to break up the linear kill feed with some nice medals that could be community developed. An opt out otpion would definetly be something you need with this kinda system, allows die hard fans such as yourself to keep it the way you like it.

Thanks for the replies guys didn't think I would get such a positive response from high ranking community members!

Comment

I think having a lighthearted (see: A not in your face, every 3 seconds a new shiny shiny) medal/award system would be fun to see. Think of them as visually attractive stats for things like sprees, total weapon kills, total matches in a map, map-orientated events (having a count on how many times you've killed someone with something akin to the spike machine on DM-Akbal2k4-SE located above amp would be fun) and stuff like that. Think of the old Quake 3 "Perfect, Frags, Excellent, Accuracy, Humiliation" badges you see in singleplayer.

I wouldn't want an in-your-face system like COD and BF. I'd want, ideally, to be notified of them if I was in the main menu of the game or at the end of a match.

The only way to see how many sprees and total kills, your total ELO etc in previous games involved having to visit the UT stat sites. It'd be somewhat easier if they were accessible on a player card that a lot of concepters have been working on and suggesting. Implementing a medal/award system into that would be cool.
                          Last edited by DSK-; 10-11-2014, 07:58 PM.
                          UT2004Community YouTube channel. A professional e-sports and community replay archive for Unreal Tournament 2004.

Cluex.org YouTube channel. A video archive of our UT2004 competitive events and tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by DSK- View Post
                            I think having a lighthearted (see: A not in your face, every 3 seconds a new shiny shiny) medal/award system would be fun to see. Think of them as visually attractive stats for things like sprees, total weapon kills, total matches in a map, map-orientated events (having a count on how many times you've killed someone with something akin to the spike machine on DM-Akbal2k4-SE located above amp would be fun) and stuff like that. Think of the old Quake 3 "Perfect, Frags, Excellent, Accuracy, Humiliation" badges you see in singleplayer.

I wouldn't want an in-your-face system like COD and BF. I'd want, ideally, to be notified of them if I was in the main menu of the game or at the end of a match.

The only way to see how many sprees and total kills, your total ELO etc in previous games involved having to visit the UT stat sites. It'd be somewhat easier if they were accessible on a player card that a lot of concepters have been working on and suggesting. Implementing a medal/award system into that would be cool.
                            Yeah, it wouldn't be anything like COD's One shot one kill etc **** cause that just looks messy. Medals would only appear if you actually did something worth recognizing like a headshot, double kill etc.

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                              Already sort of existed in other UT games (combo *****, flak monkey, head hunter). So yeah, sounds good to me. Fantastic suggestion Kyle S. Phenomenal. Welcome to the forums.
                              I would also add such stuff for item control in duel.
                              Unofficial Enforcer Model
                              Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

Working...
                              X