This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] HUD Designs Feedback Thread

It's time to start focusing on what the new HUD should look like. I would like this thread to become a running cometary of design ideas, sketches and discussions to help us zero in on the look of the new HUD. To start with, here are some mockup designs done by Maria Fernandez, a contractor and artist at Epic. These show off the current direction of our thinking as well as show off a good way to present mock ups. That being said, this is not the new HUD. The purpose of this thread is to help focus effort on making art that fits the new game. I strongly encourage all artists working on mockups to start posting them here. Our goal is to try and lock down a look by the end of October so I can being production on the HUD in November.

A couple of things up front. (A) if you feel the need to comment, make sure your comments are constructive. Comments like "I hate it", "Ugly", etc are pointless and will get you removed from the conversation. If you don't like something, please be specific as to WHY you don't like it. (B) Some elements are required. UT will have a paperdoll, it will have a weapon bar, etc. If you are going to work on art elements please make sure these are included as it's a big part of the HUD. (C) We have already had some internal discussions on the first round of images and some of the initial feedback is as follows:

1 - The paperdoll needs to be on the edge of the screen, not centered. The problem with putting it front and center is that it takes up too much of the most important real estate or it's too small to be used effectively.

2 - The elements should be somewhat modular and fit together when possible.

3 - We want to look at a vertical weapon bar as well as horizontal. Going vertical means we have to be careful as it takes up peripheral screen space which is important so keep that in mind but it does tie better in to an ammo indicator at the bottom corner. But please work up both.

4 - The weapon bar has to support stacked groups.

5 - We don't believe health and armor should be represented as bar graphs. The biggest problem with a bar graph is that the KEG/Shield create overpowered stats and while you can work that in to the art design, we feel that it ends up not reading well. We do want to look at representing the player's state with animations and color changes to the numbers/indicators though. In general, use #'s in most cases and be ready to justify a bar graph

So on to the current artwork....

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full versionThis Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

DISCUSS....
    Attached Files

Is there any way we can get a layered image so we can break the examples out and maybe adjust them some on our own? Might be helpful to get some ideas flowing.

Also, that vertical weapon bar... *drool*
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

It looks like Quake hud tbh.., i like weapon bar down, health and shield on left side, clock on left side top, score right side top.
      Don't like concept of demo guy even being on hud, i don't see point of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
        Is there any way we can get a layered image so we can break the examples out and maybe adjust them some on our own? Might be helpful to get some ideas flowing.
        ^ I'm supporting this.

I like the overall design but not the position of some of the items. I feel it's not necessary, at this point, to have health bars and armor items separated from each other to take useful space on screen and stay faithful to the original UT HUD positions. Here's a quick edit regarding the player's health.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Comment

I'll see if Maria has layered PSDs. I assume she does. I should add, we think the health/armor needs to move center of the screen, that's why it's broken out that way. But feel free to mock it up however.

DarkAp - I know you were working on a design, please post it.
          Last edited by JoeWilcox; 10-17-2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Another quick edit on just what I feel is the best position for HUD items.

Time is on the center, considering team gametypes will have points/datas for both blue and red teams. Left side is withouth items because that's the player's gun placement and I personally don't like to have anything there.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Another question I would like to ask and that may hurt hardcore fans.

Is it really useful to have always on screen the armor graph? It gives you an information on which part of your body is more protected, but what you could do from being able to know that? You don't know where the next enemy will hit you. You're really paying attention on your body armor items when playing?

I'm saying this as a normal player and not from an hardcore/competitve POV.
            Last edited by DarkAp89; 10-17-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Not bad. How about a different "dolls" for the character? For example, if you have a female character, the doll will have a feminine silhouette. If the robot, you get the idea.
              Last edited by Raixs; 10-17-2014, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                DarkAp - I know you were working on a design, please post it.
                It's an alpha version of the concept I have in mind. And it's not updated from months. Reference: DM gametype.

As you can see I didn't include armor items. Weapons slot are quite big and at maximum (9), the biggest square would be reserved to the weapon the player is using right now. On the upper right side, the big squadre is reserved to the player's ranking in the match, while the two bars are for kills and deaths (focus on kills). Below the ranking+k/d items, that would be the place for the Quick Scoreboard concept.

Comment

Health/armor should be highly visible. On the concept we can see very small numbers. I want check my life value without looking on them, it was possible with ut3's HUD. It's especially valuable, when we are fighting - it's important to know how many hp you have, without loosing your opponent from your eyes for a moment.
                  Little example:

In my opinion it's a minimum size for health/armor numbers. It could be there a marker (green ball) for your life condition.
                  Personally i prefer old positioning but i need to try new.

Polish community DISCORD server: https://discord.gg/eMRKbAg Join us if you are Polish and let's play some 4v4

Comment

rAge we agree. Health/Armor need to be visible at a quick glance. These images I'm told were done in illustrator but I'm trying to get layed version for you all to play with. DarkAp I don't like health and armor at the top of the screen. Also that weapon bar would be huge

Comment

PErsonally I love that vertical weapon bar and if it could be scaled separately from the rest of the HUD elements, even better. I've wanted a vertical weapon bar in UT since, well, UT. It takes up much less screen real estate that way and weapons that are available to use can be seen in your periphery.
                      HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                      BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Small issue with armor GUI

Attached Files
                        Unofficial Enforcer Model
                        Redesigning Enforcer Firemodes

Comment

I would consider keeping the elements of the HUD symmetrical. For example: keeping HUD elements top/bottom or side to side. That way it is more aesthetically pleasing overall.

I would recommend top/bottom to keep the HUD elements from covering up your side to side peripheral vision. Of course this assumes a user looks left or right more than they do above or below. This means while running a route, scanning for enemies, and etc. Of course, Unreal Tournament has more Z-axis than the usual FPS. We should ask ourselves, what do I do more of in Unreal Tournament?

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post

Nice example. The weapon will fill the void in the right corner/left/center depending on your chosen handedness.
                          Last edited by Wutsittou; 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM.
                          a.k.a Gunner77

Comment

Good catch. It should be thigh pads where you show Not Armor and Boots = Shin Guards + Boots.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
                              Another question I would like to ask and that may hurt hardcore fans.

Is it really useful to have always on screen the armor graph? It gives you an information on which part of your body is more protected, but what you could do from being able to know that? You don't know where the next enemy will hit you. You're really paying attention on your body armor items when playing?

I'm saying this as a normal player and not from an hardcore/competitve POV.
                              I guess now is as good as anytime to finally start posting.

It plays a big part in the decision making in duel/teamplay.

So the bodypart that is protected is not needed for "Where am i going to get hit next? since the armor parts don't work like that. Its not relevant where you get hit, the amount of armor lost is the same. (Only exception is the helmet/headshot dynamic) One uses the graph more for "What kind of items do i have? Is it worth it to take the pads right now?" As example in duel: I have 75 Armor left on my guy and its in the chest. The way to the chest armor and the thigh pads is the about the same. Going for the chest armor will give me an overall 25 armor more, going for the pads 50. Now I have a decision to make, do i want the extra 25? or do i want to deny the chest armor for my opponent?

In teamgames it plays into the decision wether you take the armor or leave it for your teammate. If you were stacked, then got into a fight, then see that there is 45 armor left on you and its in the pads, then it makes more sense for your buddy to pick up the pads.
                              http://www.twitch.tv/rePeteGG

Comment

Working...
                              X