MapVote Grid Concept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] MapVote Grid Concept

So following a long debate over votemenu UI, with me, raxxy and RushPL, here's what we came up with:

Features (20-Oct-14):
    • Base assumption: there never are more than 9 different mapvotes in any given time.
    • The server automatically selects 9 maps and displays them in a grid. The server will prefer unselected, popular and/or upcoming maps.
    • (suggested by raxxy) Each row will serve a different category of maps. For example, 3 upcoming/featured maps, 3 popular, and 3 random.
    • If a map has been voted for, it will stay pinned on the grid.
    • A full map list will open when clicking the search box. If a map from the maplist was voted for (and was not featured in the grid), it will appear on the grid, replacing any of the server-suggested maps (that had no votes).
    • Clicking on a map will open the map info, including a list of players that voted for that map, perhaps a rating system or community-wide messages about the map ("marketplace recommended!")
    • Hovering over a map will darken its screenshot, revealing minimal info and a vote button.
    • Hovering over a clicked-upon map will have both the vote button on the screenshot and the info on the right pane.
    • A star indicates the currently leading map.
    • A green plus sign indicates which map the player has voted for.
    • (suggested by M^ul) If the server is designated as a multi-mod one, the vote will be split into two parts. One with a short vote timeout that will have pre-defined gametype+mutator templates, with its respective maplist to follow, once the vote for the gametype has been settled.

Get the PSD here (early draft, pre-v1).

So here's v2 (20-Oct-14):

Let us know what you think!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DDRRE; 10-19-2014, 08:46 PM.
    Snir "DDRRE" Hassidim - Living and breathing UT since 2002!
    "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
    Facebook | LinkedIn

9 maps is such a small number... Take 12.. Switch chat and server info with eachother.
    BT-AncientLost | BT-Indus12 | BT-AirRace | BT-YouAreLOL
    DM-Pure-Pro | DM-Vezon | DM-RedeemerSniperHeaven

blog | home | discord

Come frag with us! Absolute (Amsterdam) , Absolute (Atlanta) , Absolute (Indiana)

Comment

I don't like thumbs up. Too facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by irridium77 View Post
        9 maps is such a small number... Take 12.. Switch chat and server info with eachother.
        That text box lets you search an unlimited number of maps, I expect it will end up linked to the marketplace.

Comment

I don't think I like search alone without a list. It makes new maps non discoverable.
          UTLauncher - standalone Unreal Tournament server browser / Download / Github
          ut.rushbase.net - free community hosting for Unreal Tournament assets

Comment

Originally posted by RushPL View Post
            I don't think I like search alone without a list. It makes new maps non discoverable.
            I was thinking that like an hour and was about to just say that. 1st i thought the vote part with the arrows was like to scroll over to more maps off-screen, was going to ask if that's the case. otherwise you might play a map, forget the name and cant find it again. im **** with remembering names. Map thumb previews are good
            Join the community Facebook page
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Unreal-Tournament-4-Community/302380673298678

Comment

Originally posted by code187 View Post
              I was thinking that like an hour and was about to just say that. 1st i thought the vote part with the arrows was like to scroll over to more maps off-screen, was going to ask if that's the case. otherwise you might play a map, forget the name and cant find it again. im **** with remembering names. Map thumb previews are good
              Note that clicking the search box also opens a list, so I've got you covered.
              "When Video Games and the Enterprise Meet" - Read my chronicles of building a gamers club at my workplace.
              Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

Hey DDRRE, thanks for tackling this. Mapvoting is so important and has been overlooked in the past (UT3 didn't have it at the start).

As someone who has run a server since UT99 and used mapvoting, either built-in or 3rd party, I can say that it needs to be stupidly simple. On my UT3 server, I would say that less than half of the clients that join use it and I think it must be confusion and/or they don't think it is okay for them to vote.

I actually thought that once the UT3 mapvote interface was put into the game, it had fairly good usability (especially under the hood) and I was able to break up maplists into smaller chunks so that I could make a "low poly" gametype and a "classic" gametype (still just DM) and maplist for example.

Your screenshot has a lot going on there, quite a bit more in fact than the "stupidly simple" (IMO) UT3 interface that people still seem to have a hard time using.

What would be perfect for me is to start with a gametype vote (you will want to support multi-gametype servers) and then have the thumbnail interface as you have shown but allow left and right arrows to slide through thumbnails with mapnames. There should be a very clear way of clicking on a thumbnail and having a very obvious "vote" button. You should also be able to change your vote if you want to. Lastly, don't forget mutator voting.

I like the idea of chat and voting on the same screen because one of the issues with UT3 is that the chat screen and vote screens are different so some people don't know that the timer is counting down on the vote screen while they are chatting away.
                Unreal Carnage.com UT4 Maps: DM-Maelstrom DM-SpaceNoxx

Comment

Originally posted by M^uL View Post
                  What would be perfect for me is to start with a gametype vote (you will want to support multi-gametype servers) and then have the thumbnail interface as you have shown but allow left and right arrows to slide through thumbnails with mapnames. There should be a very clear way of clicking on a thumbnail and having a very obvious "vote" button. You should also be able to change your vote if you want to. Lastly, don't forget mutator voting.
                  I guess this can be configurable. It has to be simple, so how about pre-defined templates, for a 2-stage vote?

Everyone will vote for a gametype (short vote time), and when that's settled, the grid replaces the gametype template buttons?
                  Facebook | LinkedIn

Comment

DDRE I really don't think that is the best solution. I mean there are already people too slow or stubborn to even vote at all. Furthermore, if your in middle of the match and it is a map that it is not suited for the amount of players in the server. I really do not want to vote twice to vote for a map, I just want to vote once. It should be really straight foward.

I think the mapvote should have 2/3 tabs in it. The first tab would be the oldschool way of listing maps in columns and each column can be for a gametype or alphabet (i.e. A-E, F-J and so on) and/or the kickvote menu. Second Tab would be server info or most popular maps and the amount played in those maps. If the kickvote is not in the first tab, you can put it in the third tab.

Also I find it funny, on the side it says CTF-Face all day, yet you have a map vote for different maps.
                    Last edited by SDAHeatWave; 10-19-2014, 08:28 PM.
                    History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
                    UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
                    UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
                    UT Main Menu Design

Comment

Originally posted by SDAHeatWave View Post
                      I think the mapvote should have 2/3 tabs in it. The first tab would be the oldschool way of listing maps in columns and each column can be for a gametype or alphabet (i.e. A-E, F-J and so on) and/or the kickvote menu. Second Tab would be server info or most popular maps and the amount played in those maps. If the kickvote is not in the first tab, you can put it in the third tab.
                      The search box does what you want out of tab one.

The search box would override gametype based on voted map.

Kickvotes are not a good idea if matchmaking is done right, however being able to globally mute people (separate thing) is a must.

some of us are thinking of a 3 options of 3:

3 Marketplace popular (not on server or client), maybe one of these slots used by epic to show off one of their new maps or a community map.

3 Popular maps on the server.

3 Random maps on the server.

Comment

Just a bit of feedback based on the UI you posted -
                        The square map previews seem a bit old fashioned, might be better at a different aspect
                        It should come up with a bit more map information when you select one, with a description and possibly some alternate screenshots if there are any

Comment

First of all, good job on that Mapvote Grid!
                          I totally support raxxy's idea of the three segments.

Some small feedback: I would scrap the green plus as the picture of a map can obscure that one very easily at this size and it just adds to visual clutter and if you colour the first in green but make the outlines white, it will be faster to notice which one was yours.

Something which you did not cover but has to be thought of: Maps that are beta and have no screenshot but are playtested on the server and added into the mapvote. Now, those maps should have thumbnails that display the map name - should the mapname be too long, shorten it of course and let it show full when hovering over it. Depending on whether maps will get a "progress state" that can be displayed, it could also show BETA if the mapper defined it as such, but that is more of a "bonus feature".

And what I mentioned on irc stills stays valid on my end: Highlight official maps which everyone owns per default and some sort of highlighting for maps that you own. That way people can decide to vote for maps they know they have to avoid download times if they have a bad connection/are far away (or because the redirect stinks ) and suddenly see a new map that they can't expect to download just within the match duration. Doesn't apply should something have changed in the system of course, so scrap that if that's different now.
                          Though my suggestion would be: EPIC writing on upper right (or center) of screenshots of official maps which everyone owns and a green checkmark that would be placed on the edge of custom maps' screenshots somewhere to let you know "I have it".

I know that the amount of stock maps won't be big at first, but they will grow later on with all the (most likely coming) bonus packs (eventually if bonus packs won't be autodownloaded or required, BP maps can be marked with BP and the number instead of EPIC), having support for such stuff early on would be good.

PS: Eventually also make the vote grid a bit bigger in what it takes up as screenspace, that will make it less full and more "relaxed" and clean in appearance.
                          Last edited by Sly.; 10-20-2014, 03:00 AM.
                          S l y .

Comment

Working...
                          X