Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Hi everyone, with the success of our HUD thread we want to start moving forward in designing the various icons that will represent the weapons in the game. It's no secret that UT3's weapon icons were less than ideal.

Detailed renderings look great at full resolution but once they are scaled (for example on the weapon bar) all of the detail becomes muddy and lost. So moving forward, we would like to explore a more iconized look. Something that is immediately recognizable as the weapon but something that can scale and rotate well. While working on these icons, please keep in mind that most weapons have a color associated with them so we want the icon to reflect that. Using the color will help associate the big red weapon on the screen with the proper red weapon icon on the weapon bar.

Red = Rocket Launcher
    Yellow = Flak
    Purple = Shock
    Neon Green = Bio
    Ice Blue = Link
    Dark Green / Gray = Enforcer
    Brown = Sniper
    Neon Blue = Stinger
    Gold = Lightning Gun (only included so we have the complete set)

The following weapons haven't been assigned a color: Impact Hammer, Redeemer, Translocator, Mini-Gun.
    Attached Files

Hey Joe, could we have an higher resolution version of these weapons?
    Thank you

Comment

Isn't this far too early to start requesting? We still don't know what most of the weapons will look like, as far as I know the only officially chosen designs are the Enforcer and the Flak Canon. Don't we need to have the rest decided before we start making icons? Even as a more stylized approaches, it's kind of necessary to know what the gun's they're supposed to represent look like. I would think anyways.

Comment

Quick note: Avril is not mentioned but shown.
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
          Isn't this far too early to start requesting? We still don't know what most of the weapons will look like, as far as I know the only officially chosen designs are the Enforcer and the Flak Canon. Don't we need to have the rest decided before we start making icons? Even as a more stylized approaches, it's kind of necessary to know what the gun's they're supposed to represent look like. I would think anyways.
          That was my first thought, but I think Joe might be saying that quake style icons could be fair game? That would certainly fit the requirements. Joe, could you please clarify?
          BeyondUnreal Podcast
          r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

My preference would be for silhouettes of the actual models, which would be difficult at this stage since we don't have most of the models. I'd rather not go for pure iconization (though I don't oppose it existing as an option). Perhaps the point here is to use the UT3 weapons as temporary until we know the general outline of the UT4 weaponry.
            Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Right now, the best thing to do, would be to iconize the projectiles of the weapons.

Actually I think this will end up with the best possible readability and shortest learning curve. Making stylized icons of the UT3 weapons seems like a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
                Hey Joe, could we have an higher resolution version of these weapons?
                Thank you
                Actually, I don't. Those are pulled right from UT3's hud art

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                  No, it's not too early. It's safe to assume that the current selection of weapons will be with us for a while. So it's time to start building icons for them. Will we have to build new icons when new weapon art comes online... yes.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWhiteDragon View Post
                    but I think Joe might be saying that quake style icons could be fair game? That would certainly fit the requirements. Joe, could you please clarify?
                    I wouldn't stop someone from designing them because there is the marketplace, out but no, we are not interested in non-related icons like Quake. By iconic I mean simple representations of the current weapon. A silhouette would be fine, a simplified paint over, etc.

Quick note: Avril is not mentioned but shown.
                    Yep forgot about it as we are not concentrating on vehicle gametypes at the moment.

which would be difficult at this stage since we don't have most of the models
                    You do.. the models in the game ARE the models we will be using.. until we don't. At that point we will make new art for it. But those are the models we are using.
                    Last edited by JoeWilcox; 10-28-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

You can get perspective higher resolutions icons here:
                      https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...ew-site-update

There is also this collection of perspective icons (without a white glow)
                      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                      Attached Files
                      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

oh god, that was one of my biggest issues! ty for opening this issue!
                        Last edited by piemo; 10-28-2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

If I may add I have always linked:
                          Hammer = orange
                          Translocator = dark blue
                          Mini = silver
                          Redeemer = white/greyish

Comment

using blue or red from the TL is problematic as it's used in a team game.

Comment

do you guys at epic have some high res images from the side of the weapon or even some high res artwork to share?

Comment

Working...
                              X