Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by code187 View Post

EDIT: just a thought wouldnt it make more sense to make the icons after you have the weapons designed, eg the enforcer does not look like that any more or the flak. Its just double handling
    ^^^^

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    No, it's not too early. It's safe to assume that the current selection of weapons will be with us for a while. So it's time to start building icons for them. Will we have to build new icons when new weapon art comes online... yes.
    It's not the first time this has been asked

Comment

I know the focus is on UT3 for the icons but why not go ahead and model the enforcer and flak after the official ones since they are already chosen? I hope the other weapon icons will follow suit too because these UT3 ones feel old.

Comment

Jeez, all the talk by Epic of UT needing to have 'UT DNA', and then making the link gun (presumably) fire ice blue instead of green plasma. Way to change an iconic weapon. Sigh..

Comment

You are probably fine going with Gooba's Enforcer as it's in active development.

Originally posted by MenuBalk
          Jeez, all the talk by Epic of UT needing to have 'UT DNA', and then making the link gun (presumably) fire ice blue instead of green plasma. Way to change an iconic weapon. Sigh..
          The coloring of the link has been transitioning from green to more teal/blue since UT2K4. However, in most cases the coloring isn't as important as the effect/firing modes which is what most people consider the iconic part. Though if we changed the flak to pink, people not named Flak would probably lose it.

Comment

Why the Flak Cannon icon isn't based off the new model?

Comment

Interesting, you are replying to JoeWilcox post which is a chain of replied posts to #136 and several other posts stating why it is based on the current implemented weapons.

Animation, texturing and probably even sound needs to be done before they're going to use the new weapons. Joe said once:
              Originally posted by JoeWilcox
              It's safe to assume that the current selection of weapons will be with us for a while
              ...but also:
              You are probably fine going with Gooba's Enforcer as it's in active development.
              It would be the same for the new Flak Cannon.

Note: I'm assuming that the new Flak and the new Enforcer are not in the recent build.
              ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
              ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

True, the fact that the Flak is also in development slipped my mind. So it's fine to work with that as well. I don't think the shock concept has been nailed down yet. Also, one point about DarkAp's icons. You can look at adding the grips back to the Flak and RL as they are shorter than many of the others and I think it would help sell it a bit more

Comment

True, the fact that the Flak is also in development slipped my mind. So it's fine to work with that as well. I don't think the shock concept has been nailed down yet. Also, one point about DarkAp's icons. You can look at adding the grips back to the Flak and RL as they are shorter than many of the others and I think it would help sell it a bit more
                  Okay so we can add the new Enforcer (done already) and the Flak too.

Got it! I'm going to add the grips for Rocket and Flak and think about the Shock.

Comment

The coloring of the link has been transitioning from green to more teal/blue since UT2K4. However, in most cases the coloring isn't as important as the effect/firing modes which is what most people consider the iconic part. Though if we changed the flak to pink, people not named Flak would probably lose it.
                    I don't want to derail this thread too much but the images above show pretty clearly that green (with secondary yellow coloration) has always been the signature color of the Pulse/Link. I am not sure where the claim that it's ever been transitioning to teal is coming from, since it's clearly green/yellow in UT3 too (despite being mostly-white due to blown-out blooming effects on it). Heck, the text on the weapon in UT3 even says "Great Green."

From an iconography standpoint coloring the Link Gun teal might make sense, since the Enforcer and BioRifle are already green. But in the actual game the Enforcer does not shoot green bullets, the only things in the game that shoot green are the BioRifle and the Link Gun, both of which are quite distinctive already. This is really a solution in search of a problem, with the negative side effect of further blurring the identities of Link and Minigun.
                    Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
                      I don't want to derail this thread too much but the images above show pretty clearly that green (with secondary yellow coloration) has always been the signature color of the Pulse/Link. I am not sure where the claim that it's ever been transitioning to teal is coming from, since it's clearly green/yellow in UT3 too (despite being mostly-white due to blown-out blooming effects on it). Heck, the text on the weapon in UT3 even says "Great Green."

From an iconography standpoint coloring the Link Gun teal might make sense, since the Enforcer and BioRifle are already green. But in the actual game the Enforcer does not shoot green bullets, the only things in the game that shoot green are the BioRifle and the Link Gun, both of which are quite distinctive already. This is really a solution in search of a problem, with the negative side effect of further blurring the identities of Link and Minigun.
                      Thanks, thought I was crazy for thinking it was weird to switch the Link Gun around like that..

Besides, looking at the icons, neon/bright green still isn't taken?
                      Last edited by Menubalk; 11-03-2014, 03:55 PM.

Comment

In any event... Bio = Green, Link = Ice Blue!

Comment

In any event... Bio = Green, Link = Ice Blue!
                          What about the pink Flak? I want to look fabulous whilst gibbing people

Comment

Okay, here we go with the new update

Let's start from the new Flak Cannon.

Woah that's massive! That was my first impression when the gun's silhouette was done. What I'm posting there are three versions: the first is the original untouched silhouette, the question here is "Is it recognizable?". It's quite strange, but the old Flak, when iconized, was really unique, at least to my eyes. The second version is a modification of the size of Flak's back. The third, based on the second version, simply gets rid of some details.

1 / 2 / 3 (100px)

How they look at approx. 50px.

About the Enforcer by Gooba, I had already the new icons. I'm going to post them again.

(Piemo's edit):

Joe requested to ad back the pistol grip for both the Rocket Launcher and the old Flak. For now I'm not considering the old Flak since we've a new model to look at, while these are the options for the Rocket Launcher.

Original / v2 / v3 / v4 (100px)

How they would look at approx. 50 px.

That's all for now. Next update will be about the Shock Rifle.
                            Attached Files

Comment

As always good job. I really like the v4 rocket. Maybe i would fill some of the areas but it looks really good as it is.

One thing that i would change in the new flak is the bottom handle, the one under the 2 cylinders. I think that removing it would accentuate the barrels ( which are the most distinctive characteristic of the flak ). Also it's really dark even in the original model, so it's barely noticeable.

anyways, since you are updating the look of the icons, I will wait to start putting down the weapon into vector files. When you and the epic people are happy with the result I will proceed

Comment

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
                                Outline weapons as previously requested (white interior, colored exterior) based on the design from comment #108
                                The border's width is not consistent from one weapon to another on purpose to see what could be the best width. Still, I'm not a fan of this design choice.

Outline design looks outstanding good work

btw, new Flak's icon looks fine too, but try something less pixelized

Comment

Working...
                                X