Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    re: DarkAps icon set:
    I love the outlines, am curious to see what they might look like in game.

    Some more info to take into consideration:

    - This icon should probably represent the size/power of the weapon. For example, the Translocator and Enforcer are as big as the Flak in DarkAp's set, and both feel more significant than the Sniper or Shock Rifle.

    - The Flak and Rocket only show the barrel while the rest are full weapons. Personally, I prefer the full weapon look (it matches the player's mental map and visual representation in the world), but we should pick a direction and be consistent with it across all weapons. We can pretty easily mock up both types and do some usability testing to determine the proper direction.
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

    Comment


      Originally posted by Entropy View Post
      re: DarkAps icon set:
      The Flak and Rocket only show the barrel while the rest are full weapons. Personally, I prefer the full weapon look (it matches the player's mental map and visual representation in the world), but we should pick a direction and be consistent with it across all weapons. We can pretty easily mock up both types and do some usability testing to determine the proper direction.
      About this, as you can see I followed the previous suggestion by Joe Wilcox and I added the pistol grip to both Rocket Launcher and the (new) Flak Cannon as these weapons were the only ones to show a different design from the others. If we should explore the second route, meaning to go with all weapons without pistol grips, let me know.

      I love the outlines, am curious to see what they might look like in game.

      Are you going to do a quick test on UT3? As I wrote before, in this case we should look at the proper width for the outline's border.

      This icon should probably represent the size/power of the weapon. For example, the Translocator and Enforcer are as big as the Flak in DarkAp's set, and both feel more significant than the Sniper or Shock Rifle.


      That's a pretty difficult mission since it would mean to modify more each gun and possibly make them not so recognizable as before

      Comment


        It's bean a while since I created a new icon set (or single icon) as I worked on a different concept/prototype, but I gonna present 2 two icon, which are a bit polished but based on my initial approach - only BioRifle and Enforcer for now.

        I'm not sure if my icons can compete with DarkAp89's ones as these are looking very good and they are recognizable. My attempt is a bit different than his so I still provide some progress. Not sure where it ends.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	BioRifle.2nd.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	331704Click image for larger version

Name:	Enforcer.2nd.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	331705

        It's still the iconic simplified look (as I intend to do so by recreating the shapes what each weapon makes it unique).



        Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
        About this, as you can see I followed the previous suggestion by Joe Wilcox and I added the pistol grip to both Rocket Launcher and the (new) Flak Cannon as these weapons were the only ones to show a different design from the others. If we should explore the second route, meaning to go with all weapons without pistol grips, let me know.
        There is some inconsistency in the weapon models (due to performance optimization). That's why I uploaded the 3rd and 1st person weapon images (I forgot about the other sides tho). Most of the first person weapons don't have the pistol grip but the third weapons do. The BioRifle has a different shape/look. The ShockRifle is longer in first person etc. Not sure which weapon should be used for icon. Players mostly see the left side of the first person model but see the third person model in others' hands and as pickup.

        By looking at DarkAp89's icons, he probably used the first person mesh for the Flak and RocketLauncher (and probably for LinkGun as well).
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

        Comment


          The most difficult thing to find a suitable design for the Shock Rifle and consistent with all the weapons in my set is that this gun is quite long and it has a distinctive element only in its barrel. A weak point is that it's a lot similar to the Sniper Rifle.

          The following attempt is taking a traditional route compared to the previous version, and the most noticeable modification is about the upper part of the gun that I lowered so that it can't be mistaken for the sniper's sight.

          Old // New



          Possible alternatives, less traditional:



          Time to compare the first version of this Shock Rifle.



          Attached Files
          Last edited by DarkAp89; 11-07-2014, 03:42 PM.

          Comment


            To be honest i think the previous shock was better. the fact that it has the 2 pads visible makes it really easy to recognize. The only problem i have with it is that it looks too "fat", especially the back area

            Also I made the vector files of most of the weapons that DarkAp89 made. The only one that I didn't make are the rocket launcher and flak, which are the one that he was iterating on

            If you want me to make those vector as well, just send me the PSD

            Also, I will post the vector here if DarkAp89 is fine with it.

            Comment


              Originally posted by piemo View Post
              To be honest i think the previous shock was better. the fact that it has the 2 pads visible makes it really easy to recognize. The only problem i have with it is that it looks too "fat", especially the back area

              Also I made the vector files of most of the weapons that DarkAp89 made. The only one that I didn't make are the rocket launcher and flak, which are the one that he was iterating on

              If you want me to make those vector as well, just send me the PSD

              Also, I will post the vector here if DarkAp89 is fine with it.
              Joe wasn't satisfied by the previous version, so that's why I'm trying to find what could be done with the shock.

              I'll send you the new file between tomorrow and sunday Thanks for your precious work! Teamwork is really the best!
              And sure - post them here when we'll figure all the weapons.

              Comment


                Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                It's bean a while since I created a new icon set (or single icon) as I worked on a different concept/prototype, but I gonna present 2 two icon, which are a bit polished but based on my initial approach - only BioRifle and Enforcer for now.

                I'm not sure if my icons can compete with DarkAp89's ones as these are looking very good and they are recognizable. My attempt is a bit different than his so I still provide some progress. Not sure where it ends.


                It's still the iconic simplified look (as I intend to do so by recreating the shapes what each weapon makes it unique).




                There is some inconsistency in the weapon models (due to performance optimization). That's why I uploaded the 3rd and 1st person weapon images (I forgot about the other sides tho). Most of the first person weapons don't have the pistol grip but the third weapons do. The BioRifle has a different shape/look. The ShockRifle is longer in first person etc. Not sure which weapon should be used for icon. Players mostly see the left side of the first person model but see the third person model in others' hands and as pickup.

                By looking at DarkAp89's icons, he probably used the first person mesh for the Flak and RocketLauncher (and probably for LinkGun as well).
                You can develop your style too I think they're suited for UT3 and other HUD that will have much more focus on weapons. I'm sure in the future there will be HUD similar to UT3 available on the marketplace.

                Regarding 1st and 3rd person looking, the very first concept based on Fireborn's design were using 1st person. Now all icons should be updated to 3rd person (the Rocket Launcher is a mix of both 3rd and 1st just because it was not based on a silhouette; Link is 3rd)

                Comment


                  The 2nd one doesn't look as recognizable as the others imo. It looks like two weapons in one. If it wasn't colored, i'm not sure if I would call it Shock or Lightning Gun. Some posts ago I modified your ShockRifle image for some reasons:
                  Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                  [...]However, the shock is more recognizable but it can be mistaken with the Sniper. The 2nd grip (on the barrel) could be a magazine and the top thing could be a scope.

                  Maybe more like this:
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]9671[/ATTACH]
                  Only some smaller changes like repositioning the 2 single pieces and removed that "pipe" on the barrel.




                  RE:#157

                  Yeah, I think I polish my icons... not sure how fast the iterations will go.
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post


                    Only some smaller changes like repositioning the 2 single pieces and removed that "pipe" on the barrel.
                    The problem in this case would be for the reduced icon at 50px. Spacing beetween the two pieces won't be noticeable. I'll try later

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                      The killfeed icons do look good. However, the shock is more recognizable but it can be mistaken with the Sniper. The 2nd grip (on the barrel) could be a magazine and the top thing could be a scope.

                      Maybe more like this:

                      Based on your idea and the feedback from piemo about the gun's back, this is another alternative design for the Shock:

                      //

                      All variations so far

                      Attached Files

                      Comment


                        I feel like that the left one really nails it. The only thing that i would change is to make the barrel just a solid color ( otherwise at low size it looks weird and could be confused for the sniper rifle, which has similar spaces near the barrel ) but that is a matter of personal preference.

                        Comment


                          Took a break from the forums, didn't really feel like people needed me to finish the UT3 vector set anymore. Do people still want me to finish it?
                          From what I could tell the iconized versions Rattl3snake did seemed to work really well though it was a different take on the typical gun icons for sure.

                          DarkAp. Your icons are a lot more recognizable as the guns than Rattle3's iconized shapes and you simplified most of the gun artwork I did very well. I say most because I have a really hard time to tell what the Flak and Rocket Launcher is visually speaking. Even if I know as a UT player what the guns represent, from an outsiders perspective it doesn't have enough visual clarity. All of the other weapons are fairly un-distorted and just simplified but the Flak and RL are really deformed with the "shooting" parts and I think for consistency sake it looks out of place if you put them all together. The RL especially just looks like an indiscernible cluster of square-shapes but it doesn't quite read as the gun. To that note, I think Rattl3's simplified RL was a lot easier to tell what the gun was.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                            Took a break from the forums, didn't really feel like people needed me to finish the UT3 vector set anymore. Do people still want me to finish it?
                            From what I could tell the iconized versions Rattl3snake did seemed to work really well though it was a different take on the typical gun icons for sure.

                            DarkAp. Your icons are a lot more recognizable as the guns than Rattle3's iconized shapes and you simplified most of the gun artwork I did very well. I say most because I have a really hard time to tell what the Flak and Rocket Launcher is visually speaking. Even if I know as a UT player what the guns represent, from an outsiders perspective it doesn't have enough visual clarity. All of the other weapons are fairly un-distorted and just simplified but the Flak and RL are really deformed with the "shooting" parts and I think for consistency sake it looks out of place if you put them all together. The RL especially just looks like an indiscernible cluster of square-shapes but it doesn't quite read as the gun. To that note, I think Rattl3's simplified RL was a lot easier to tell what the gun was.
                            You're talking about the old Flak or the new one?

                            For the Rocket Launcher you're suggesting to revert it to its original silhouette and simplify it, right?
                            Before doing any other edit I'm waiting a new feedback from Joe Wilcox and Jim Brown since there're a lot of designs to look at.

                            You did a great job on the icons and were a good start for brainstorming and create the simplified concepts. I think you can continue to develop them as someone may be interested in them.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
                              You're talking about the old Flak or the new one?
                              For the Rocket Launcher you're suggesting to revert it to its original silhouette and simplify it, right?
                              Before doing any other edit I'm waiting a new feedback from Joe Wilcox and Jim Brown since there're a lot of designs to look at.
                              You did a great job on the icons and were a good start for brainstorming and create the simplified concepts. I think you can continue to develop them as someone may be interested in them.
                              RL Yeah most likely simplifying the original silhoutte would be the way I would go. A lot of your icons are exactly that, very simplified versions of the guns and Piemo's edits follow in the same footsteps.
                              Flak I was talking about the old UT3 one, the best way I would describe what you did to the gun is almost like treating it like an accordion compressing all of the parts of the gun into a tiny shape but I'm not really sure if it's that faithful to the gun. I saw the new flak which seems to have less of this issue, though I haven't seen UT4s flak enough to really tell if it's accurate enough but it might be different enough from the rest of the guns for icons.

                              On the topic of keeping the icons distinguishable from eachother I think removing the Shock's top plating and adding some extra length to the shaft makes it too similar to the look of the mini/stinger. Since stinger's main iconic look is all about long bars it starts to bleed over a lot at a glance. Color coding will help set it apart, but that's even if we use them which we might just go with black and white since people don't want rainbow colors on their HUD. Though I'll toss up what I think is a medium ground quick edit to the HUD icons for dealing with rainbow spectrum in just a few minutes, real quick 'n dirty just to get the idea across.

                              Comment


                                Took a bit longer exploring rainbow HUDs but here's a couple sheets of small iterations to make people happier about color-coding. I took DarkAps outlines and did really rough edits to them over and over, changed some colors around so they are more consistent with each-other, the color coded versions were a lot less noticeable on the HUD so I hit it with a BW value check and kept them all within the same general range of luminosity.

                                I think as far as the HUD weapon bar, weapon silhouettes won't work and outlines are the way to go. We can keep the pure silhouettes for the kill-bar but having outlines in the weapon bar for a bit more detail feels appropriate.

                                So basically the idea here is to use only color coded options when it's called for. There's a bunch of different options as per usual with me but they're all pretty self explanatory and basic. There's more options than this as well, such as doing a faded color when it's not selected and a brighter color when it is selected but I didn't do that row version when I hit "Save" on the jpegs. Oh well! I'll probably update this later with just that.

                                Here's a couple pics to show different transparency (no bg hud) or a darker screen behind the weapons like we're focusing on in the UT HUD discussion

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X