No announcement yet.

Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably, you can easily keep tack on the last one (colored fill and black outlines; selected). But it might look too much as a rainbor war. I guess I would pick the 2nd last one (black fill, colored outlines) but with a transparency values of 60%-80% (or a dark gray color as fill).

Pretty good comparsion sheet.
    ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
    ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
      Probably, you can easily keep tack on the last one (colored fill and black outlines; selected). But it might look too much as a rainbor war. I guess I would pick the 2nd last one (black fill, colored outlines) but with a transparency values of 60%-80% (or a dark gray color as fill).
      Pretty good comparsion sheet.
      Not sure if I got the idea across in my post but it would basically only pick "Selected" when you are using the gun, otherwise no color-code. In my opinion the gun's are easy enough to tell apart in their simplified forms so to avoid rainbow-fatigue that code has concerns about. After thinking it over, I agree with him that colors all the time is probably not the best for UT and I would remove all the color coding unless we totally need it. Like keep the color coding just for the weapon bar and have the kill-bar icons be BW silhouettes. I think for the weapon bar a black fill is a better way to go, and it's too overbearing to have white-fills unless we're doing it for some sort of visual information like how much ammo is left.
      Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-09-2014, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Here's an animated version of the concept. RattleSn4k3 since you liked the last 2 rows, I combined them as select/nonselected fade. It still retains color coding, but it's much more faint when it's not selected and only bright and vivid when you're using it.

Comment

Looks good to me. Now the actually weapons should be tweaked just like Joe or Jim recently said.

Yes. I didn't read the captions properly . Since the selected weapons will be filled, the non-selected ones could actually be transparent (fill) if there's a background texture.
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Alright. I definitely think the RL needs to look more accurate to the gun so I did my own paint over simplification to it, keeping the handle. More complex examples at first, then chopping it up bit by bit. Honestly though, I think even the "complex" simplified logo-version of the gun would work well for the weapon bar. It all really depends on how tiny we need the icons to be, there's no reason that the kill icons need to be exactly the same as the weapon bar icons. I would rather have ultra simplified ones in the kill bar and more detailed ones in the weapon bar.

Anyways, here's my attempt at the RL and my first actual simplification, everyone else has been doing that step for me!

If it's not clear, the red outline version is very slightly deformed having bigger rocket barrels.
            And then simplified a bit further on how it would actually look on the weapon bar with trying out various colors.
            Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-10-2014, 01:23 AM.

Comment

During the european night you backed a lot of concept variations, Fireborn. I'm impressed!

From the comparison sheet, if the developers will choose the outline direction, I think I would like the "No Fill" combination (BW for not selected and Colored when selected). The last 2nd row is pretty nice too. All depends on how the HUDs will take and incorporate them: I think it would be useful to do an example on one of the HUDs from piemo or Maria and see how these look.

Regarding kill icons in the killfeed, the only way to go is the full silhouette.

Now onto your Rocket Launcher, did you test the reduced version at approx. 50px? Because I think you'll need to separate some of the gun's elements to make it work. I like best the first concept, just because it's more in line with my previous iteration.

Comment

Thanks man, I'll toss up a nother version of rows a bit later but I think I've given people enough to chew on for now!

I'll toss up an animated form of what you like later just like I did with RattleSN4K3's favorites of the bunch.

I agree about the kill-feed. Silhouette and no color coding would be the way I would go, just to avoid rainbow syndrome but that's me.
                As far as the RL size, I used your kill-feed weapons icons in comparison. You can see how it matches up here. (I used the lightning gun's dimensions for height/width)

Comment

Not sure if you wanted a color fill or just color outline for when you select it but this animated batch is just outlines and no fills.

Regarding the "brightness" or "vibrance" of the outlines, this is just due to the stroke outline thickness around the silhouettes. DarkAp your strokes have inconsistent thickness so for example some look bolder (Flak) than others (Sniper) so we/you/I'll have to fix up the stroke thickness to be the same across the board. For reference, I used a 3px thickness of the stroke on my RL.

Here's a test of no-fills with a brighter outline to stick out from darker backgrounds without any sort of weapon bar shade (Woops accidentally left a layer on underneath the RL so it looks nasty-brown instead of red.)

And vise versa, darker outlines.

After the tests of no bar shade, I think while it's cleaner the better way to go would be with the weapon bar shade for visual clarity.
                  Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-10-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

@Fireborn
                    Yes, if you notice, when I created them I said the border's width was not consistent to see what could be the best width. Jim went saying they were good, but I'm still waiting a final feedback about this.

The first two pics is what I meant with the "No Fill" combination. Feels okay with the gray border.

As for the RL, somewhat looks bigger than the others. But that's because the color model for the Lightning Gun had a wrong width. If you see the white silhouette of the LG you'll notice the difference ; )

Comment

I missed the part where you talked about width so if it's not news then just skip it.

Yeah RL was probably a bit bigger than the rest you can especially tell when you directly compare it to the shock above it but I don't really agree that everything must be 50px, that's just a number that was tossed out that "feels good" for the kill-bar. There's not really any reason we can't go a bit larger but for sake of 50px here's what it looks like at that size in pure sil form.

I don't think we need to wait on Epic to keep iterating, always waiting on Epic is just going to slow the process down. I like the outline/cutout look a lot better than pure silhouette forms we just need to do that to the rest of the guns. It's inconsistent right now, some have it some dont. In particular one I think would benefit from it a lot would be the hammer, right now it kind of looks like a mess of shapes and we can break it apart better than that with similar treatment to the rest. I think RattleSN4K3 did a pretty good break-out from what I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post

I don't think we need to wait on Epic to keep iterating, always waiting on Epic is just going to slow the process down. I like the outline/cutout look a lot better than pure silhouette forms we just need to do that to the rest of the guns. It's inconsistent right now, some have it some dont. In particular one I think would benefit from it a lot would be the hammer, right now it kind of looks like a mess of shapes and we can break it apart better than that with similar treatment to the rest. I think RattleSN4K3 did a pretty good break-out from what I recall.
                        The Rocket Launcher seems okay.
                        As for the border on these weapon's outlines, what do you think is looking best compared to the others? FC, RL and Enforcer share the same width, while the Hammer is similar to the Sniper and the Redeemer.

About Epic, they may feel slow but they're the developers of the game. There's a lot going on, not only here in the User Interface subforum and surely they must take in consideration non-community feedback and internal playtests too. We created a lot of designs to look at, it's necessary to know their opinion in regards to major choices. Of course border's width is not one of these choices.

Comment

I'm not ripping on Epic I know they have ton of stuff to do, I'm only saying the community doesn't always need to twiddle their thumbs waiting for Epic to make a decision or feedback. They pointed this out in the Flak concept art thread on the stream, if the community can get to a solution faster than Epic needing to step in for feedback then that's better for everyone it means they can let us figure it out while they focus their efforts elsewhere.

As far as the outline thickness, I personally prefer the bolder ones for the weapon bar. Since we're not doing pictures of the guns (at least at this stage) then having them stand out from each-other with a thicker stroke makes sense to me. The way I've set up the selected/not selected color coding is so you can flip through the guns with your peripheral vision as you focus on the center of the screen you can tell what gun you're using based on just the corner of your eye (Thats the idea anyways). The thinner strokes means it's got less color-coding and more reliance on the general shape, since we're going with some sort of color-code then thicker would be the way to go.

That's not to say we can't mix the ideas. For example, you can have a thinner stroke for guns not-selected and thicker color-coded stroke for the gun that is selected.

Comment

I'm only saying the community doesn't always need to twiddle their thumbs waiting for Epic to make a decision or feedback.
                            Epic games is the owner of Unreal Tournament bro.

Comment

Bro you completely missed my point, I suggest you go re-read it and look at the stream talking about how the community took off and iterated between themselves for the official flak canon we're going to use.

Comment

Tomorrow I'm going to share here all the PSD collection for all icons designed until now (includes PNG).
                                Piemo's going to post is vectors based on the finalized icons I made (and I think there'll be the RL from Fireborn).

This's done as we believe there's nothing much to do and Joe said we all did a good work in the HUDs thread. Of course everything's open for further modifications if necessary. Also, we're sharing the files so they can be downloaded from the developers.

Comment

Working...
                                X