No announcement yet.

Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No offense to you guys, but I don't think the icons are done yet. You guys ran with it for a while and did a good job iterating off of what I started but I can see ways we can keep going!

Messing around with the impact hammer, I want to get a more consistent look across all of the icons. Not 100% on it yet, but it's an improvement on telling what the gun is in the weapon bar with the pistons highlighted.
    I did my own gooba-forcer. Took a lil bit from you and piemos, but added some more details and trims to fit more with my RL. I think piemo's super ultra simplified enforcer would be okay in the kill-feed but for the bar I'd rather have something more detailed.

A note about the Enf, RL, and You/Piemo's enf they are all turned into vectors already so no need to make them again.
    I haven't vectorized the hammer yet because again not 100% on it but you can see how it fares at 50px up in the killbar corner.
    Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-10-2014, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Update to icons.
      -Sniper tweak
      -Redeemer tweak
      -Shock Tweak
      -Transloc Tweak

Sniper
      Very small tweaks, changed the barrel break and the internal barrel slot. Also added a trigger to the grip for the bigger weapon-bar shape.

Shock
      Small tweaks, I removed the nub at the end of the barrel shaft so it's more of a > sharp angle triangles. I don't really think crushing the pads into the main form is necessary to the degree DarkAp has taken it, so I went with a more streamlined form across the body more like RattleSnake's and removed the wire along with other thickness adjustments to the shaft, but I also have a version with the wire included. My reason for removing it is because the sniper already has a "wire" bar below the main barrel and this helps avoid confusion having it removed.

LG
      I really don't like the lightning gun's icon but until I get to it myself I vectored DarkAp's version.

Deemer
      Did my own redeemer icon, but I'll make a vector of DarkAp's tomarrow. I gutted all of the bottom half out because it's the rocket that matters not the thing holding it. I'm surprised no one made that call except for me!

Transloc
      Small change in the disc "lights" to be thicker and less lights, also Removed some of the extra odds and ends.

All of the icons you see in outline BW form and white silhouette form are fully vectorized in photoshop, the color kill-feed icons are from DarkAp's iterations off mine and there for reference.

There's only a few guns left to vector, but I or who-ever can get to those tomorrow. I did a bunch of different versions for vectors you can see up in the kill-bar. DarkAp's weapon bar icons were also inconsistent sizes with each-other, some of them were much larger than others like the Transloc. I sized them all up to the Transloc and RL's general size so they are bigger and take up more space but this is just to keep them within the same range of size. I can scale it down later.
      Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-11-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

well, Joe asked for those files in the other thread. I believe they will try stuff or will tall about something so that we can iterate more

Comment

Good work, but keep in mind that people play on various resolutions. Try reducing the quality of the icons (pixelating them) and see how it looks then.

Comment

@Fireborn
            Maybe I didn't explain it well. I'm just saying my and piemo's set is done and as of now I'll edit it just in case there're modifications requested from Epic as I feel there's nothing else to do after all these designs and time spent on creating a good icon set. I'm not saying we can't continue to iterate or that I won't support your iterations, but feel free to do as much as you please with your new set because that's your own concept, mixing your own ideas and my ideas. This is a collaboration work between all community members -- the more the concept we make, the better for us all and the developers. No offense taken, it's just time to move on other things (for me).

Good job on the new examples ; )

Comment

@DarkAp
              Okay I got it then you think your and piemo's set is done, but I'm making all of those as vectors as well so Piemo can sit back if he wants. I'm going to be mixing and matching Rattle, Mine, Yours, and Piemos icon decisions together as one bar. For example I think the decision to get rid of the weird metal thingy on the mini gun piemo did was good, and I'd do the same thing but I haven't gotten around to vectoring the mini/stinger yet.

Piemo requested me to post the PSD of the vectors and I'll do just that as soon as I properly name the layers. I'll work on my own "trims" vectors to go in line with the RL and Enforcer I made. The hammer is still the one that needs the most work to break-out it's tricky with all of the pipes n other stuff jutting out but I'll work on that a little later today.

By the way, did you ever decide on which Flak UT4 style version you wanted to go with? If I'm going to vector it, saves me time from doing multiple vectors.
              Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-11-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                @DarkAp
                Okay I got it then you think your and piemo's set is done, but I'm making all of those as vectors as well so Piemo can sit back if he wants. I'm going to be mixing and matching Rattle, Mine, Yours, and Piemos icon decisions together as one bar. For example I think the decision to get rid of the weird metal thingy on the mini gun piemo did was good, and I'd do the same thing but I haven't gotten around to vectoring the mini/stinger yet.

Piemo requested me to post the PSD of the vectors and I'll do just that as soon as I properly name the layers. I'll work on my own "trims" vectors to go in line with the RL and Enforcer I made. The hammer is still the one that needs the most work to break-out it's tricky with all of the pipes n other stuff jutting out but I'll work on that a little later today.

By the way, did you ever decide on which Flak UT4 style version you wanted to go with? If I'm going to vector it, saves me time from doing multiple vectors.
                Piemo has all vectors ready to use from my previous designs, that's because I shared my original files a while back. I think he'll post them here too.

Regarding the Flak Cannon, I think it's time to use the new model (see comment #148). You can find the original weapon here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nphab1kti1...n_new.psd?dl=0 or in the Weapon Design subforum

Comment

Collection of all the designs posted from me so far:

Big Icons (PSD): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8gxxuaqia...57adHJnua?dl=0
                  Killfeed Icons (PNG+PSD): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dtwmjgnsw...SSYMOLW_a?dl=0
                  Outline Icons (PNG): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8c8d3554...djIErlkwa?dl=0
                  Killfeed Icons of New Flak, New RL, New Shock: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vr0nks03i...LVD9sUY_a?dl=0
                  New Icons of Flak/RL/Shock: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ne9s9wuhw..._4sXO5fLa?dl=0

Piemo has done the vectors based on these files and his modifications.

Comment

I haven't seen Piemo post any vectors, just him talking about when you're ready to go ahead to give him the files so he can make the vectors. This echos you saying yesterday that he would make the vectors today, but I still haven't seen any new vectors from him. Regardless he asked for the PSD with the vectors in a PM, so here it is. Not a completed set yet, since he wanted the files early but if he made the vectors of yours/his already then cool saves me the trouble. https://www.dropbox.com/s/olkjpoc7p0...et%5D.psd?dl=0

Yeah flak new model, but you did several versions I'm just asking which one you decided on if you picked one yet.

Here's all of the vectors included thus far, properly named and with color code folder groups.

To adjust the outline/fill just use layer-styles.
                    Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-11-2014, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Sorry if I was late, but I was busy at work today. So here are the DArkAp89 vectorized icons.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x13o2ya06...UZytcNBsa?dl=0

there are 2 files in that folder. one is a illustrator file, the other is a SVG.

We took the rocket launcher from FireBorn. His design is pretty really good, so there was no reason to try something else.

Enjoy

( ps: I personally like the shock that Fireborn made more than the one of DarkAP89. )

( pps: wtf fireborn. How could you use photoshop to draw the icons o.O if you used illustrator it would have been much much easier. )

Comment

Well I like using photoshop so I can easily go from drawing/painting straight into paths and shapes. They can transfer over to illustrator as true vectors but I actually don't have illustrator installed at the moment so that'd be why I didn't make it an .AI file. Photoshop can export paths to .AI files but I'd like to install illustrator again to test how well it transfers on that method, but you're welcome to try the export out yourself before I install illustrator.
                        Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-11-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Update to icons
                          -Translocator
                          -Enforcer

Transloc
                          I'm really not sure why DarkAp had a 3 prong kinda look for the handle, but I've removed the excess noise and put it much closer to the actual shape of the tool. I might enlarge the gap between the disc more like the other versions a little later. I also gave it the "trims" look I was talking about, so it fits more with my RL, Shock, Deemer and the Hammer when I make a better vector pass on it.

Enforcer
                          Dropped the bullet window, while a cool touch it was a bit inconsistent with the rest. Plus it reads better at smaller sizes, it's almost like Piemo's ultra simple icon except a lil trim detail work

I purposefully left a gap between the link gun and stinger, because that's where the Ripper will slot. I'd like to give that it's own icon and push to having it back in UT4 and I want to see the full "UT family" together. We got the lightning gun, now we just need the ripper. Oh and if anyone wants the new icons, they are embedded SVGs now and true vectors ala illustrator files.

I un-crushed the icons. I'm not really a fan of having them so condensed, some important traits are lost when the Sniper for example is crushed down in length, same goes for the stinger.
                          Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-12-2014, 12:47 AM.

Comment

they have a good reason to be deformed that way. the problem is that the weapon are stacked vertically, not horizontally like you did, so to fit them in the same space you have to either deform them or to resize them, but at that point they look too small.

Comment

Only to some degree. They're not all the same size length even in yours and dark's the enforcer and transloc is much shorter, meanwhile the shock is longer. I just made the "long" weapons only as long as the shock and deemer, so it seems that it's too long in some cases but it really never goes out of the old bounds.

I know the guns are stacked vertically, I only did horizontal bar icons because that might be an option and I wanted to fit them all in there. I'll do a vertical bar icons as well but people can just move them into vertical positions if they want. I still think it's perfectly fine to have a little "white space" for the weapon icons of different sizes like if I put the enforcer into the shock container it would have space it's not filling up. Otherwise I either, make the enforcer larger to fill the gap, make the shock smaller to close the gap, make the enforcer stretched, or make the shock crushed.

Look at UT99 and UT2k for an example, not all of the guns are the same length but is it really a big problem that some of the containers are longer than the gun holds? I don't think so.

UT3 on the other hand, scales the weapons to fit into somewhat the same box space instead of crushes them.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-12-2014, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Update to icons
                                -Vertical Weapon Bar demonstration.
                                -New Lightning Gun

Vertical Bar
                                Using the UT3 method of fitting the icons together. (Scaling not Stretching/Crushing) The red box around them is the maximum height and length.
                                I wanted to show how well the icons scale for people who are concerned about screen space. Fun fact! The icons in the far right corner are actually smaller than the kill feed icons, but they are still readable.

Lightning Gun
                                The lightning gun has a very unique shape that I don't think DarkAp conveyed well enough so I completely redid it and it's shaped more like the actual gun. DarkAp's icon was missing the space for the handle and trigger which was very confusing to look at so I put that back in there, and removed the other hole where the gun grip used to be. I think DarkAp might have confused the grip for the trigger? Either way, it's back in there. I also emphasized more of the scope and muzzle break shapes and added more accurate detail to the thiny in the center. Finally, I added my "trims" to the icon so it fits better with the rest of the set!

Here's a direct comparison to the UT3 picture icons in the kill feed at the exact same sizes.

And because it was requested, here's a pixelation stress test on the icons.

Note: Even at the worst pixelated levels, it would still be understandable if we used color-coding but this is just a black and white test.
                                Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-14-2014, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X