X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update to icons
    -Translocator

Translocators Galore
    After doing the above stress test pixelation I wasn't satisfied with the results I wanted to do better. At first I was just doing a small visual tweak to the disk, like making the center lights longer and edge lights shorter. This gives the impression of perspective as the disk turns in space (just small details to carefully craft good icons) and playing with slightly warping the transloc gap but that lead into putting the thing under a microscope and entered into perfectionism-mode with many different small iterations trying to get the best result as possible.

I'll save your eyes the trouble of parsing all of this at once. The top (red bar) is the old translocator before I updated it. The blue bars is what I feel like are the best designs, it's almost tied on that front. If the Translocator had a small disk I would go with the small version, but since it has a big disk that's what I'm going with. I like some of the other designs, but they don't hold up as well under extreme pixelation and I ended up on a similar road that Piemo took. Except the gap is even larger as the disk is further out from the back of the gun and the disk itself is larger with bigger lights.

Look at all of these translocators! It's way overboard for just a tiny disk launcher but oh well. Can you spot the minor differences? I stuck the three best side by side for you guys to decide on which one you like the most.
    Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-15-2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I would go with b. No brainer choiche.

Comment

B look the best to me too
        Stevie's corner
        Maps : DM-Thaq (R1), DM-Coda, DM-Chroma FPS, DM-Chroma, DM-Dakylian, DM-Elik, DM-Akar, DM-Aryth, DM-Aly, CTF-Infiltrate, DM-Delta
        Links : UE4 links (guide, tut), UE4 resources, Tools and resources

Comment

That's 2 votes for B. But I think you guys are missing something. B might be the "cleanest" but it's not accurate to the UT3 translocator. The UT3 transloc has a BIG disk not a small one. That's why it's not a "no brainer" to me, the big disks are more faithful to the actual tool. I created "long UT3" disk versions as well but they didn't hold up so nicely under the pixelation test so that's why it's A or C big disks, with B being the small UT99 sized disk.
          Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-15-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

The icon is supposed to help identify the weapon, and b works best for that. You are over thinking this :/

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
              The icon is supposed to help identify the weapon, and b works best for that. You are over thinking this :/
              Probably true, I definitely over-thought it putting it under the microscope. Sometimes people just need to shake me and tell me to stop, so I suppose B it is for now!

One last thing before leaving the transloc as B. A and C hold up better under extreme pixelation tests, thats one more reason why I was deciding between them, while B falls apart at extreme pixelation. But of course people probably wouldn't be playing with such incredibly bad resolution in 2015 but maybe they would!
              Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-15-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                Probably true, I definitely over-thought it putting it under the microscope. Sometimes people just need to shake me and tell me to stop, so I suppose B it is for now!

One last thing before leaving the transloc as B. A and C hold up better under extreme pixelation tests, thats one more reason why I was deciding between them, while B falls apart at extreme pixelation. But of course people probably wouldn't be playing with such incredibly bad resolution in 2015 but maybe they would!
                I wouldn't care about people that plays with that kind of graphics. I mean come on, they would be the 0.0001% lol

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
                  I wouldn't care about people that plays with that kind of graphics. I mean come on, they would be the 0.0001% lol
                  Yup, very true for something like the Unreal Engine 4. Even if the engine scale-able. So Transloc B it is. I knew from the start that it was the cleanest one with the least visual noise and it was all just a weighing of faithful accuracy to the gun or iconography of the gun. Iconography wins this round.

Comment

Update to icons
                    -Impact Hammer

STOP... Hammer Time!
                    I've been avoiding the Hammer for a while because I knew it would be a pain to deal with all of the pipes and other visual noise but I finally took a crack at it today. Like before I put the hammer through stress tests on pixelating it. Unsurprisingly my old hammer and darkap's hammer completely fell apart on the test, even when I revised it to be cleaner. I deduced that in order to make a clean icon read in the kill feed at the pixelated levels I would have to take an axe to the hammer and chop off the little [ [ > ] box that stuck on the front piece. It was ruining the silhouette from being instantly readable as "hammer" even at 100% scale.

But maybe I'm over thinking it? Either way I've left you guys the same ABC choice. I'm favoring B the most. A is faithful, B is iconographic but somewhat faithful to the front shape. C is even more iconographic flattening it out.

Comment

b or c are indifferent to me, they both way better and the rounded or flat hammer head are not that much different

Comment

B and C are not a whole lot different yeah, it's more of very minor differences. B looks like a slightly slanted triangle in the blurred tests while C is thicker and looks more like a single flat surface.
                        It's just preference on which you prefer, ) or ]

Comment

then I would take the rounded edge. the 2 blocky weapon that we have now ( flak and rocket launcher ) both end in a flat surface, so having that rounded would be better

Comment

Update to icons.
                            -Flak
                            -Enforcer
                            -Link
                            -Stinger

Update to weapon bars
                            -Vertical ,Horizontal, Diagonal
                            -Scaling versions of each

Update to Kill Feed icons
                            -Added 25x50 pixel versions

Flak
                            DarkAp's UT4 Flak icon was an interesting try but to me it was a bit hard to tell what the gun was and to a lesser degree had the same sort of visual problems of the old hammer and rocket in that it seemed like a bunch of shapes mashed together. So I went back to square one and did a pass over the UT4 Flak, left some parts of DarkAp's details in but the majority of the shape was thrown out and redone. If the UT4 Flak is massive, then it should look like it in the icon. I think the caricature of the flak barrel created more problems then it solved and I axed it for a more accurate shape.

Enforcer
                            Looking at some of the other guns in the weapon bar as a whole, I decided to cut out some of the excess noise on the gun's shape. Mainly it's just a more streamlined and flattened shapes on the underside where the clip is at instead of having all of those bumps and indentations.

Link
                            Hardly any difference, just adding my "trims" look and a slight change to the fins. I did try my iteration gauntlet on the Link Gun but it didn't really turn out any better results, so there's no point in showing that. DarkAp's main shapes is the winner here.

Stinger
                            Cleaned up the silhouette (especially in the front) and further emphasized the barrel shapes. Left DarkAp's ammo cutout in place, and just added some extra consistency with the rest of the icons a bit like a stencil.

Weapon Bars
                            Since people always ask for classic horizontal bars I put that in. Epic wants the vertical bars so that always stays, and I threw in examples of the scaling UT3 style bars. They scale to 150% on the gun you're selected and down to 75% of the originals on the far end. I realize 150% is probably giant and too much, but I'm just showing off the concept of scaling the bounding boxes around.

Kill Feed
                            The 25x50 pixel length really crushes the weapons down and a lot of detail and clarity is lost so if we were to go with 25x50 kill feeds then I would say to use the color coded versions only to keep it clear on what gun is what in the feed. The old icons are already 25x tall and have a lot better of a read with a little bit more breathing room with pixel length but I added the 25x50 icons in as an option and to really put the most pressure on the icons at tiny sizes.

Yeesh GIFs eat up the quality of the pictures, removed them and put a big picture of everything new.

New PSD is updated to the contributor's thread I started.
                            Last edited by FirebornForm; 12-03-2014, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I still really hope that abstract icons will be an option of some kind if not in the base game then the marketplace, it seems like it's definitely not going that way but even so I think they would be pretty optimal both in terms of readability and minimizing impact on peripheral vision. It seems like nobody else has really seriously considered the idea, so I had a go at what a set of such icons might look like for UT. Keep in mind I'm no artist, and far from a graphic designer (hell I did it in MS Paint...), but I just thought it might be fun to come up with ideas for the icons. Anyway, would anyone be interested in something like this? Obviously some work better than others, but you get the general idea.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Lethargy; 12-06-2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Some of these are straight forward but others are not enough. If you want weapon icons it'll most likely be a market place thing. Piemo or Henrik should be able to nail those sorts of requests as they've already done symbols for guns. Symbols are too quake like though and so it wont be in the normal HUD.

I got a laugh out of that flak ammo though. No one besides UT fans would understand that one

Comment

Working...
                                X