Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
    No, it's not too early. It's safe to assume that the current selection of weapons will be with us for a while. So it's time to start building icons for them. Will we have to build new icons when new weapon art comes online... yes.
    Okay, so it sounds like you want to get the idea of using icons for weapons as quick as possible maybe in time for the public alpha at the end of the year and then next year when we have the other weapons we remake the icons to be like the UT4 models.

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
    There is already an answer but the first post isn't updated/mentioning it.
    It's the Anti-Vehicle weapon with laser-guided (with Lock-on) missiles. Something like Titanfall's Anti-Air.
    Huh that's supposed to be the AVRIL? It looks more like the Ripjack Ripper from UT3 that was never put into the game. But since its the AVRIL I suppose we can just skip it.
    Last edited by FirebornForm; 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
      Ice Blue = Link
      This might be an aside, or overly specific, but I'm curious where this comes from. Pulse / Link has typically been Green/Yellow. Since Link Gun and Minigun share similar functionalities (1 hitscan rapid-fire mode, 1 projectile rapid-fire mode), moving towards similar coloration just blurs the identities of the guns even further.
      Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Originally posted by Wail View Post
        This might be an aside, or overly specific, but I'm curious where this comes from. Pulse / Link has typically been Green/Yellow. Since Link Gun and Minigun share similar functionalities (1 hitscan rapid-fire mode, 1 projectile rapid-fire mode), moving towards similar coloration just blurs the identities of the guns even further.
        Yeah thats true but you run into the problem of 3 "green" weapons. Enforcer, Bio and Link. But eitherway it'll run into being too similar to something else color wise like stinger and translocator

Comment

It should be:

Hammer - Medium Brown / Dark Orange
          Enforcer - Military / Dark Green
          Bio Rifle - Light Green.
          Shock Rifle - Violet Purple
          Link Gun - Turquoise
          Stinger Minigun - Blue
          Flak Cannon - Gold / Brass
          Rocket Launcher - Dark Red / Maroon
          Sniper Rifle - Gray
          Lightning Gun - Yellow / Light blue??????
          Redeemer - Bright Olive Green
          Translocator - Bright Orange. In previous games like UT99 and especially UT3, it had a lot of orange on it , which mainly came from the glowing lights.

Joe, just my thoughts, but I think you mixed up Flak and the LG. Flak should be more golden / brass, while LG should be flat yellow. (Maybe even light blue for the lightning aspect?)

Comment

Brown sniper?

Comment

I've added orthographic render of the first person weapons models as well (the previous ones were 3rd person models) and also shadowed images (without texture mapping). Check my previous post for a download.
              Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-28-2014, 07:45 PM. Reason: Note about shadowed images
              ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
              ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

4 Down.

Comment

Where are the UX people? Are they called in last?

Some personal experience and opinions:
                  * The use of richly colored icons on the side of the screen adds a lot of noise to the peripheral vision. The solution is to use single colors and brightness.
                  ** This means only the silhouettes would be used.
                  * The color coding for weapons works really well for the weapon change notification text (it's just text saying the weapon name when you change it). I tried changing this to white in UT2004 for all weapons, but I quickly found it drastically diminished the signalling effect. With colors, you don't have to actually look directly at a spot. The same goes for brightness (making something brighter immediately signals something has changed).

There's still room for icons, for example in a drag & drop UI for grouping them, etc.

Comment

^ Pretty sure we are using single shades of colors. Maybe not sils only because that reads badly, but 1 monotone color regardless. Making color changes takes 5 seconds to do, the stuff that takes longer is making the actual gun icon.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                      4 Down.
                      Those are the UT3 guns.

Comment

Your point being?

Comment

Originally posted by cafe View Post
                          Those are the UT3 guns.
                          Joe just finished stating that that's what we have to work with for the foreseeable future, this game will be in alpha even for a long time so we need something.

That being said, I think we should be focusing on single tone silhouettes with maximum readability.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                          Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Like I said, we are doing single tone. The vector versions are just taking the colors straight from UT3s models. I already have a hue satch pass over all of them.

I'm not really sure if IG shock being red overlaps too much with rockets being red so I made it slightly more of a magenta. Working on translocator next.

Comment

I'm not sure that enforcer is gonna read too well in a single color, then again the UT3 enforcer doesn't exactly have the classic profile, maybe I'm just not used to it...

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I agree about the enforcer, all the UT3 weapons are pretty strange but once I'm done with the UT3 set I'll just make a more up to date Gooba's enforcer

Comment

Working...
                                X