Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wail
    This might be an aside, or overly specific, but I'm curious where this comes from. Pulse / Link has typically been Green/Yellow.
    Honestly it came from Jim B. But FirebornForm (in the next post) is right. We have a lot of "green" weapons so I'd like to see one of them go more blueish maybe.

Originally posted by Specter_;
    Joe, just my thoughts, but I think you mixed up Flak and the LG. Flak should be more golden / brass, while LG should be flat yellow. (Maybe even light blue for the lightning aspect?)
    Maybe?? I think Stacey would prefer Pink for the flak anyway

Originally posted by FirebornForm
    4 Down.
    Not bad but notice how when shrunk it loses the coloring.

Seem if you can boost up the color in some way and we might be in on the right path.... Oh wiat..

I think this is the right path. Maybe try to increase the contrast a bit and simplify the shape. I know this is just a paint over but I think it should be possible to simplify it.
    Attached Files

Comment

For sure, there's a lot of odd jutting out things in the UT3 weapons. I was going to start simplifying them when I'm done with the set, but from the very start I'd say the wire hanging down on the UT3 shock would need to go.

Comment

As written before, I would iconize the weapons.

So I created iconized images for the RocketLauncher and ShockRifle. I'm not a big artist, so don't judge me on that ^^.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	RocketLauncher.png
Views:	1
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	331434

Name:	ShockRifle.png
Views:	1
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	331435
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Shock looks extra strange like that but I think the rockets work in iconized form.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that regardless of what UT3 has, certain elements will make the silhouettes more recognizable based on series tradition, and that's what we should aim for recognizing here, while staying close to the UT3 look in other regards.

For example with the shock, that weapon has normally had a big core under the barrel - the ammo pickup, basically. This differentiates it from the sniper rifle, especially.

The Enforcer normally has a big ammo clip hanging downward, not sideways, it doesn't take much to see "Enforcer": basically handgun + big fat magazine, so this should be in the profile.

Certain other weapons have changed too much from game to game and in those cases, we should defer to UT3's designs for now.

Just my take.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
            Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Translocator done.
              One ice blue link gun coming up.

Tried out the bright orange transloc that someone suggested.

Raised the contrast on all of the guns, haven't gone into simplifying them yet.

Comment

Grey would work for translocator (if enforcer stays silver/green). No other weapon has that length.

I've also created a iconized BioRifle.

Name:	BioRifle.png
Views:	2
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	331437
                ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Not really sure about gray transloc, gray was supposed to be the sniper colorcode even though it looks nothing like it so it would be hard to confuse them but for the sake of one color per weapon I think gray is taken.

Nice bio icon, though it looks kind of like a bobble button we never see the inside area of bio in UT3 but that's okay it looks different enough from the rest of the guns that itl probably never get confused as something else.

Going to take a break from this for now. Anyone else is free to continue on, at this rate its just gunna be me and rattlesnake which is fine too.
                  Last edited by FirebornForm; 10-28-2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Is there any particular reason to avoid using white or black? Seems like those would make natural Enforcer/Sniper color associations.

Comment

Originally posted by conX5 View Post
                      Is there any particular reason to avoid using white or black? Seems like those would make natural Enforcer/Sniper color associations.
                      With many of the huds, black is used as the background, and white as the highlight element. This would make it confusing if weapon color coding overlapped with those, and potentially they wouldn't read well or at all even.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

I like FirebornForm's concept!

Basically, all that it need to be done is to sacrifice details. It's not needed to have all these details because they won't be useful for the resize. You can also ignore and being unfaithful to the original weapon design and enhance some recognizable elements.

A quick example.

The original weapon design and your coloring:

Sacrificing details and deforming the original weapon design for a better resize, maintaining your coloring:

Attached Files

Comment

What I've been doing is pretty much turning the UT3 guns into vectors 1:1. I agree with you that some simplification and exaggeration would be the way to go but it's more of a phase 2 step after I'm done with the set. (Working on minigun now). We basically have to treat the UT3 gun icons as logos, one of the steps I always take to ensure logos are readable at tiny sizes is zoom way out but I haven't gotten to that point in the UT3 set just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                            What I've been doing is pretty much turning the UT3 guns into vectors 1:1. I agree with you that some simplification and exaggeration would be the way to go but it's more of a phase 2 step after I'm done with the set. (Working on minigun now). We basically have to treat the UT3 gun icons as logos, one of the steps I always take to ensure logos are readable at tiny sizes is zoom way out but I haven't gotten to that point in the UT3 set just yet.
                            Yup, it's a second step to do. But it's an important step to take in consideration. You can continue to focus on the 1:1 vectors from UT3 and the coloring. Then you can go with what I suggested

Another example (more significative because of the thin elements and the coloring).

Original

Deformed

Differences (Original / Deformed)

///////
                            Attached Files

Comment

Oh yeah I was definitely planning on deformation of the guns it's kind of like a caricature except not silly. Since I'm going to be doing the Hammer later, and the Redeemer what kind of colors do you think would be good to "code" those with? For now I'm going with transloc = orange, but the Hammer has been typically orange outside of 2K when it was the green shield gun. I'm also going to be doing a black background on my next post since people have a lot of dark HUDs which is fine by me, dark always contrasts better and it'll help with the gun icons.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                                Oh yeah I was definitely planning on deformation of the guns it's kind of like a caricature except not silly. Since I'm going to be doing the Hammer later, and the Redeemer what kind of colors do you think would be good to "code" those with? For now I'm going with transloc = orange, but the Hammer has been typically orange outside of 2K when it was the green shield gun. I'm also going to be doing a black background on my next post since people have a lot of dark HUDs which is fine by me, dark always contrasts better and it'll help with the gun icons.
                                The color palette is limited (we can't create new colors :P ), you can try different shades of red for both the Rocket and Translocator. So making the Hammer orange.

Another consideration, since the HUDs have all a dark background, it's considered a bad move to have one of the guns white and with another color associated for small elements?

Comment

Working...
                                X