No announcement yet.

Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe said Transloc should avoid being reds or blues per team-use. I might try out brown for the hammer as mentioned earlier in the thread but not sure if I'll like it (probably not)

If you're talking about the Enforcer, I'd say it would be best to have it be just green monochrome but Joe specifically stated green/gray. I'll probably change it to monochrome next update anyways though, for consistency with the other guns.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
      Joe said Transloc should avoid being reds or blues per team-use. I might try out brown for the hammer as mentioned earlier in the thread but not sure if I'll like it (probably not)

If you're talking about the Enforcer, I'd say it would be best to have it be just green monochrome but Joe specifically stated green/gray. I'll probably change it to monochrome next update anyways though, for consistency with the other guns.
      Well, Rocket it's red too but not for team-use either. Joe was a bit inconsistent when he spoke about this.

No, I wasn't talking about the Enforcer, but one of the numerous other guns out there.

Comment

Your right rockets are red too. I don't get what Epic's perceived problems are with some colors that never change in HUDs, would people confuse being on the wrong team just because the transloc was red and they're blue team? I don't think so but it seems like that's what Epic thinks.

If you werent talking about the enforcer green/gray-silver which one are you talking about?

Comment

The Rocket Launcher doesn't change color but I seem to remember the effects on the TL changing.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
            The Rocket Launcher doesn't change color but I seem to remember the effects on the TL changing.
            Fair enough. So would the transloc effects remain consistent with the color-code on red or blue? or just the icon. There was rocket changing FX in teams in UT3 but I'm not really a fan of that. Just makes the rockets look like energy weapons.

Comment

If you werent talking about the enforcer green/gray-silver which one are you talking about?
              I was asking just to know the answer and add another color as a possible choice

Comment

Imo, the weapon icons should only represent the general shape of the gun. Most icons I see here have a lot of noise going on with detail. I am not sure about over-emphasizing some shapes like Fireborn showed with his deformed concepts. The front of the Sniper now reminds me a lot of the Shock rifle.

I made a really quick and dirty paint job with the sniper concept of FirebornForm (Hope you don't mind) to show how I'd imagine weapon icons. I tried to remove as muchs detail as possible and made it uni-color.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu5oY0w.png
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	331463

Comment

DarkAp did the deformed concepts off what I did not me. What you did above is basically silhouette form which is fine. I'm cutting out majority of the colors as I go, about to update a monochrome version (the details are just because it's strictly from UT3 1:1 they'll be out the door soon.

EDIT:
                  Updated with black background and monochrome vibrant colors, I think it's pretty easy to tell them apart even at tiny sizes. This is very close to just silhouette reads.

For now I removed all the details in the Enforcer as it was just being problematic on the read.
                  Went with more of a ice turquoise for the Link Gun as suggested by someone else, ice blue was too close to neon blue for the stinger.
                  Last edited by FirebornForm; 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

DarkAp did the deformed concepts off what I did not me. What you did above is basically silhouette form which is fine. I'm cutting out majority of the colors as I go, about to update a monochrome version (the details are just because it's strictly from UT3 1:1 they'll be out the door soon.

EDIT:
                    Updated with black background and monochrome vibrant colors, I think it's pretty easy to tell them apart even at tiny sizes. This is very close to just silhouette reads.

For now I removed all the details in the Enforcer as it was just being problematic on the read.
                    Went with more of a ice turquoise for the Link Gun as suggested by someone else, ice blue was too close to neon blue for the stinger.

I still believe that those images have way way too much details in them to be distinguishable. the problem is that we don't have to start from copying the shape in the images, but we have to start from 0, grabbing inspiration from them.

If I will have time after work and after the HUD stuff, I will try to draw a couple

Comment

While I think this is a good avenue to walk down I'd also like to see someone going more outside the box. While we don't want to go Quake style arcadey icons I'd like to see someone attempt to take the highlighting features of a weapon and build a icon out of it. For example, the 3 barrels of the RL or the front/end of the Flak. I'm not sure exactly what this should be

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                        I'm going to go out on a limb and say that regardless of what UT3 has, certain elements will make the silhouettes more recognizable based on series tradition, and that's what we should aim for recognizing here, while staying close to the UT3 look in other regards.

For example with the shock, that weapon has normally had a big core under the barrel - the ammo pickup, basically. This differentiates it from the sniper rifle, especially.

The Enforcer normally has a big ammo clip hanging downward, not sideways, it doesn't take much to see "Enforcer": basically handgun + big fat magazine, so this should be in the profile.

Certain other weapons have changed too much from game to game and in those cases, we should defer to UT3's designs for now.

Just my take.
                        I completely agree with this. In fact, I'd go one step further and say that the weapon icons should only have the barest resemblance to the actual guns.

Which is why something like this:
                        Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                        As written before, I would iconize the weapons.

So I created iconized images for the RocketLauncher and ShockRifle. I'm not a big artist, so don't judge me on that ^^.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]9485[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]9486[/ATTACH]
                        Looks really great to me. Sure, they are not perfect but I love that concept. It kind of emphasizes the use of the respective guns but it doesn't really have the exact same style as the weapon. It's possible that for certain weapon models selected for the game even that these icons would continue to work with very little change.
                        HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                        BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

As not being an artist, it is hard to me to acutally create proper icons so these may only be concepts (not polished in any sense). As seen in my previous icons, i tried to highlight what each weapon represent. Something what Joe said in the previous post.

Iconized models
                          Here's my complete set (without Avril and instagib). I basically used only 3 colors (+1 for the outline which would be white). Dark Gray, Bright Gray and the weapon color:
                          This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Single weapon
                          BioRifle:

Name:	BioRifle.png
Views:	2
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	331487
                          Enforcer:

Name:	Enforcer.png
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	331475
                          Flak Cannon:

Name:	FlakCannon.png
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	331476
                          Impact Hammer:

Name:	ImapctHammer.png
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	331477
                          Link Gun:

Name:	LinkGun.png
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	331478
                          Redeemer:

Name:	Redeemer.png
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	331480
                          Rocket Launcher:

Name:	RocketLauncherNew.png
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	331481
                          Shock Rifle:

Name:	ShockRifleNew.png
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	331482
                          Sniper Rifle:

Name:	SniperRifle.png
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	331483
                          Stinger:

Name:	Stinger.png
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	331484
                          Translocator:

Name:	Translocator.png
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	331485
                          Alternatives
                          LinkGun alternative:

Name:	LinkGun_Alt1.png
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	331479
                          Tranlocator alternative:

Name:	Translocator_Alt1.png
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	331486
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-29-2014, 03:09 PM.
                          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

As this is quite fun , I created minimalistic/"arcadey" icons.

Minimalistic icons

Set
                            This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Single weapons
                            BioRifle:

Name:	BioRifle.png
Size:	2.4 KB
ID:	331488
                            Enforcer:

Name:	Enforcer.png
Size:	860 Bytes
ID:	331498
                            Flak Cannon:

Name:	FlakCannon.png
Size:	412 Bytes
ID:	331489
                            Impact Hammer:

Name:	ImpactHammer.png
Size:	538 Bytes
ID:	331490
                            Link Gun:

Name:	LinkGun.png
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	331491
                            Redeemer:

Name:	Redeemer.png
Size:	636 Bytes
ID:	331492
                            Rocket Launcher:

Name:	RocketLauncher.png
Size:	523 Bytes
ID:	331493
                            Shock Rifle:

Name:	ShockRifle.png
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	331494
                            Sniper Rifle:

Name:	SniperRifle.png
Size:	503 Bytes
ID:	331495
                            Stinger:

Name:	Stinger.png
Size:	637 Bytes
ID:	331496
                            Translocator:

Name:	Translocator.png
Size:	397 Bytes
ID:	331497
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM.
                            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                              As this is quite fun , I created minimalistic/"arcadey" icons.

Minimalistic icons

Set

Single weapons
                              BioRifle:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9548[/ATTACH]
                              Enforcer:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9559[/ATTACH]
                              Flak Cannon:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9550[/ATTACH]
                              Impact Hammer:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9551[/ATTACH]
                              Link Gun:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9552[/ATTACH]
                              Redeemer:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9553[/ATTACH]
                              Rocket Launcher:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9554[/ATTACH]
                              Shock Rifle:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9555[/ATTACH]
                              Sniper Rifle:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9556[/ATTACH]
                              Stinger:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9557[/ATTACH]
                              Translocator:
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]9558[/ATTACH]
                              I'm not going to lie, I REALLY like these. I think I would make the enforcer one larger to match the relative size of the rest of the guns, but good work!

That stinger.... omg. Gyah, they are all so good...
                              HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                              BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

A newbie would fail to recognize such minimalistic icons.
                                Some of them are pretty like the Stinger and the Sniper Rifle, but I would never recognize a Rocket, an Impact or a Translocator.

Comment

Working...
                                X