Call to Action - Weapon Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkAp89 View Post
    A newbie would fail to recognize such minimalistic icons.
    Some of them are pretty like the Stinger and the Sniper Rifle, but I would never recognize a Rocket, an Impact or a Translocator.
    It's hard to say. The question isn't if they would recognize them having seen nothing else, but that, seeing the actual weapons, could they tell what these were meant to represent? I don't know the answer to that question but it seems like it's worth asking. Icons this minimal would be much better than roughly accurate silhouettes/color combinations.
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
      As this is quite fun , I created minimalistic/"arcadey" icons.

Minimalistic icons

Set
      This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Single weapons
      BioRifle:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9548[/ATTACH]
      Enforcer:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9559[/ATTACH]
      Flak Cannon:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9550[/ATTACH]
      Impact Hammer:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9551[/ATTACH]
      Link Gun:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9552[/ATTACH]
      Redeemer:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9553[/ATTACH]
      Rocket Launcher:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9554[/ATTACH]
      Shock Rifle:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9555[/ATTACH]
      Sniper Rifle:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9556[/ATTACH]
      Stinger:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9557[/ATTACH]
      Translocator:
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]9558[/ATTACH]
      lol, these are nice BUT are way way way way too simplistic.

Comment

Some of them might be too minimalistic/simplistic. The worse ones are LinkGun and RocketLauncher. Fun fact, these were my 2 first icons of that set .

With the previous set, I tried to simplify the icon but keeping the general look of the weapon model. These were done very roughly and in a rush somehow.
        Iconized models
        Here's my complete set (without Avril and instagib). I basically used only 3 colors (+1 for the outline which would be white). Dark Gray, Bright Gray and the weapon color:
        This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
        Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-29-2014, 10:12 PM. Reason: Typos
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

In addition to my minimalistic icons, I re-created/changed the look of the RocketLauncher and LinkGun. I also re-scaled the Enforcer.

Re-done Minimalistic icons (selection)
          Rocket Launcher (2ndPass) Alternative 1
          Click image for larger version

Name:	RocketLauncher_2_Alt1.png
Views:	1
Size:	736 Bytes
ID:	331502
          Rocket Launcher (2ndPass) Alternative 2

Name:	RocketLauncher_2_Alt2.png
Size:	757 Bytes
ID:	331503
          Link Gun (2ndPass) Alternative 1

Name:	LinkGun_2_Alt1.png
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	331504
          Link Gun (2ndPass) Alternative 2

Name:	LinkGun_2_Alt2.png
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	331505
          Link Gun (3rdPass) Alternative 1

Name:	LinkGun_3_Alt1.png
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	331508
          Link Gun (3rdPass) Alternative 2

Name:	LinkGun_3_Alt2.png
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	331509
          Link Gun (3rdPass) Alternative 3

Name:	LinkGun_3_Alt3.png
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	331510
          Link Gun (3rdPass) Alternative 4

Name:	LinkGun_3_Alt4.png
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	331511
          Enforcer (re-scaled)

Name:	Enforcer_2.png
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	331501

I wanna thank you guys for the nice feedback. I just created the icons as I had fun to do it and each weapon didn't took that much time, so I continued ^^
          Last edited by RattleSN4K3; 10-29-2014, 07:53 PM.
          ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
          ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Here is my attempt to colorize my iconized weapons. I'm unsure about Sniper (as I used a mexican red tone; as I used brown-ish for the Hammer), the LinkGun and the Stinger as both of these do look similar.

List of used colors:
            Name Color Color code Color preview
            Bio Rifle #83F52C ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Enforcer #315131 ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Flak Cannon Yellow #FFFF00 ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Impact Hammer #996633 ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Link Gun #74BBFB ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Redeemer #006600 ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Rocket Launcher Red #FF0000 ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Shock Rifle #810281 ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Sniper Rifle #A52A2A ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Stinger #67C8FF ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Translocator #CCCCCC ▮▮▮▮▮▮
            Colorized iconized weapons:
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, this stuff is looking great. Though I'm wondering why the decision was made that the icons should be guns rather than more abstract representations like in Quake. Wouldn't that read and fit better for a vertical weapon bar?

Comment

Originally posted by Lethargy View Post
                Wow, this stuff is looking great. Though I'm wondering why the decision was made that the icons should be guns rather than more abstract representations like in Quake. Wouldn't that read and fit better for a vertical weapon bar?
                My guess, especially based on the livestream, is that it makes the game feel too arcadey and less "real".
                BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Since Joe said to go a bit out of the box (though I don't know if this can be considered out of the box or just be bold) another suggestion always based on Fireborn's concept could be cancel and shift some recognizable element of the weapons.

An example with the Flak Cannon.

(original -> alternative)

->

A second example with the Shock and two different models

(original -> alternative #1)

->

(original -> alternative #2)

->

I don't know if that's a good call, I'm just throwing this here to know your opinions.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Since Joe said to go a bit out of the box (though I don't know if this can be considered out of the box or just be bold) another suggestion always based on Fireborn's concept could be cancel and shift some recognizable element of the weapons.

An example with the Flak Cannon.

->

A second example with the Shock and two different models

(original -> alternative #1)

->

(original -> alternative #2)

->

I don't know if that's a good call, I'm just throwing this here to know your opinions.

i love this. please do more.

I think that would solve a lot of problems

Comment

Originally posted by piemo View Post
                      i love this. please do more.

I think that would solve a lot of problems
                      A couple more just for you

Rocket

->

Translocator

->
                      Attached Files

Comment

Not sure about colors and I don'T think all tese color ful icons will be used as it adds the rainbow effect which clutters the HUD. You don't recognize elemets. If every color exists on the HUD, not every game element (may it be a player red/blue, etc.) cannot be distinguished. If you remove the color from the RocketLauncher and that Flak, you will have quite the same icon.

Name:	RLFLAK.png
Size:	896 Bytes
ID:	331526

Comment

Clearly you have to strip down as much detail as possible. That is a good idea, Maybe it needs better realization. But i think that is a good path to take and to try to experiment on.

Btw i think you people should take a look at how valve make this kind of icons. I think that their job is outstanding, and if we manage to achieve something like this it would be great

( just look at the one on the left. the right ones are mods )

Comment

Not sure about colors and I don'T think all tese color ful icons will be used as it adds the rainbow effect which clutters the HUD. You don't recognize elemets. If every color exists on the HUD, not every game element (may it be a player red/blue, etc.) cannot be distinguished. If you remove the color from the RocketLauncher and that Flak, you will have quite the same icon.
                            Didn't Joe said to have colors on weapons? What's the point to show them all black and white when all HUDs will have a dark background?

Without saying your argument would apply on your icons too.

Attached Files

Comment

Didn't Joe said to have colors on weapons? What's the point to show them all black and white when all HUDs will have a dark background?

Without saying your argument would apply on your icons too.

In comparison his are quite distinguishable in black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir_Brizz View Post
                                In comparison his are quite distinguishable in black and white.
                                Good try (see Sniper and Shock).

Not for me, even with colors.
                                Last edited by DarkAp89; 10-30-2014, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X