HUD Design Thread Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] HUD Design Thread Part II

First let me say what a great response to the first thread (Read the original thread here) You folks have been awesome at putting together these mock ups and helping us get in to a good position to move forward. We just had a meeting here to go over everything and it’s been very productive. The bottom line, we like elements from almost all of the HUD and I think with a little more direction we can hit the sweet spot. I've created a WIKI post that has all of the feedback from our meeting. You can read it here. That post outlines what we saw and liked in each mock up and what we would like to see moving forward. This thread is the place to go to discuss the direction laid out on the WIKI (so read that first).

Please understand, if your particular HUD wasn't shown at the meeting or discussed on the WIKI it only means It wasn’t far enough along in the direction we wanted to go. Some of the HUDs posted looked good but really moved to far towards an arcade heavy look or were too busy and not a good fit for the direction we wanted to go. But don't let that discourage you from continuing development or commenting on the threads. One of our main goals is to have a rich marketplace and replacement HUDs are a great fit.

It is time to start moving forward. At this point we need to start zeroing in on the final look of the default HUD so construction can begin. This means we need to start seeing mock ups not made from temp art and that cover all of the game types. We need to start considering everything from color to font to positioning. I've closed the initial thread so let's get busy!

- Edit: Updated the link and deleted unrelated posts talking about how VBulletin didn't want to use the right link. Sorry about that. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Last edited by JoeWilcox; 10-28-2014, 01:29 PM.

So, I quite like Henrik's HUD and think he should really go on with it (even though I find that weapons grouping confusing):
    And FirebornForm's (or was it Sly's?) sliding cards concept seems to me like a nice idea which could end up being very intuitive and comfortable.
    The new UT is coming along nicely...
    Maybe a new Unreal would be a good idea for Epic's next project? It's certainly somewhat overdue...

Comment

The purpose of this thread is to try and zero in on what we want as the final default HUD. We feel Henrik's widgets were too busy for the look and feel we are going for. If you read the WIKI page, we want to go with simple clean backgrounds that don't distract from the information they display.

Comment

awesome! I will start working on that tomorrow.

So happy that my HUD was taken in consideration

Guess we guys have to forget about the bottom weaponbar, whatever! Good to know, at least we can now focus on other stuff
        Last edited by piemo; 10-28-2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Yeah well going for vertical weapon bar is a kinda bold step but I sure hope there will be custom (horizontal) HUDs in the market?
          Also Joe you haven't said anything about the paper doll. Is it a must after all? Is appearing of it a good way to go? Also should it be in center of screen?

Comment

they said they like it in the middle, between the armor and hp counter

Comment

Extremely well written wiki article that really goes in-depth about the key points that will add up to the best UT HUD ever. Good luck piemo!

Comment

Originally posted by Quadj130 View Post
                Extremely well written wiki article that really goes in-depth about the key points that will add up to the best UT HUD ever. Good luck piemo!
                great wiki page indeed!

Comment

Thank you but I just critique, these guys are the ones that are knocking the art out of the park.

Comment

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
                    I want to comment on this HUD for a second, mainly on the weapon bar.

The weapon bar does serve a purpose, it shows you what weapons you have and how much ammo is in them. When I was playing competitive CTF all the time, I could only dream of having something that simple. I had the horizontal weapon bar scaled down as far as I could take it while still being able to see it. Most of the time I don't care about weapons, but when I do all I care is what do I have and how much ammo does it have so the simpler the better.

I'm also okay with Sly's concept of having the bar hide but it still should leave an ammo count and some identifying info there so you can see that at a glance. It certainly doesn't need to be this simple but I most definitely wouldn't say it serves no purpose.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Brizz, yes, that weapon bar works, if you are a veteran of the game. If you're a new player that bar might as well be off screen. When it comes to the default HUD it's better to lean more towards the new players, especially if the marketplace works. So hopefully you'll get a chance to use a HUD that contains a simple bar like that if you want. I want everyone to have what they want. But it's really not right for the default HUD.

Let me also take this moment (and this isn't directed at Brizz, just in general) to say: We are not rehashing the horizontal vs vertical weapon bar discussion (vertical for now) and we aren't going to be concerned with what widgets can be hidden, shown, moved, etc. This thread isn't the place to talk about a widget layout system or why it's needed or not needed in the game. So please let's try and stay on topic.

The goal of this thread is to come up with the look and feel for the game's HUD as well as the functionality of it's widgets.

Comment

Disagree with majority of the wiki feedback and I feel like Hendrik's design was the most UT to me. I don't know why Epic is pursuing a flat-color look that looks nothing like UT.

Originally posted by iLikeTheUDK View Post
                        And FirebornForm's (or was it Sly's?) sliding cards concept seems to me like a nice idea which could end up being very intuitive and comfortable.
                        It was mine, and as far as this topic on moving forward for HUD thread v2 I found Sly's grouping confusing to look at which is why I came up with my own grouping method. I can't tell if the transparent weapon slots are supposed to be missing guns or if they are empty guns. If they're missing, why do they need to show up at all. UT3 approached guns without needing to show everything at once, and it was better for it. Showing only the guns that you have in your inventory is just a cleaner way of approaching weapon bars. They can auto-update as you pick up guns, I don't see any reason to go back to needing to show every gun at once. I'd also say that it takes up too much peripheral space, since that was a major concern from the community.

Comment

Showing placeholder does take more space however it helps cement the fact that other weapons are available.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
                            Let me also take this moment (and this isn't directed at Brizz, just in general) to say: We are not rehashing the horizontal vs vertical weapon bar discussion (vertical for now) and we aren't going to be concerned with what widgets can be hidden, shown, moved, etc. This thread isn't the place to talk about a widget layout system or why it's needed or not needed in the game. So please let's try and stay on topic.
                            Fair enough I guess.

Any clear words or insight in the thinking process of Epic concerning the paper doll? We saw a few concepts leaving it out ... :P
                            Once you mentioned it needs to be on the edge of the screen.

Is it really mandatory? This information would actually help the concepters to work more focused on one design.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebornForm View Post
                              Disagree with majority of the wiki feedback and I feel like Hendrik's design was the most UT to me. I don't know why Epic is pursuing a flat-color look that looks nothing like UT.

It was mine, and as far as this topic on moving forward for HUD thread v2 I found Sly's grouping confusing to look at which is why I came up with my own grouping method. I can't tell if the transparent weapon slots are supposed to be missing guns or if they are empty guns. If they're missing, why do they need to show up at all. UT3 approached guns without needing to show everything at once, and it was better for it. Showing only the guns that you have in your inventory is just a cleaner way of approaching weapon bars. They can auto-update as you pick up guns, I don't see any reason to go back to needing to show every gun at once. I'd also say that it takes up too much peripheral space, since that was a major concern from the community.
                              Because this isn't 99. Modern UI = Clean UI. There's a reason everyone (Windows, iOS, Android) is going flat again.

That being said, I like Maria's HUD the most, except for the weapon bar. Piemo's takes the cake there. Contrary to Epic, I also think that the ammo bar being in the background plate is pretty clear (and by far the cleanest solution), but hey, you guys call the shots : ).

Comment

Working...
                              X