Color your name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Color your name

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this so I apologize in advance if there is already a thread for this.

Basically every UT I play there is always a settings feature on some servers to color your Alias/Gamertag/name. I think this should be implemented into the game as standard for the new UT, people love customization you could use the widget that's currently in game for selecting player model color, allowing players to color there names in all kinds of crazy colors. I'm not going to go into much detail on the matter because the thread title speaks for itself, anyone else interested? can you guess which color my name will be :P

I'd love to be able to color my name, hope it will be featured :P
    Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

And where does it come from? ...

I don't like that feature to be implemented. Scoreboard, chat and killmessage should be clean to read. Where would the color to be applied then... probably nowhere so I don't think it will happen.
      ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
      ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

There are many UT servers out there that use this feature, I agree chat should be kept clean, but that can done why also allowing us to customize our tags, color names could just show up in the score board or even in chat as long as the Text in the chat next to our name is clear there is no issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
          And where does it come from? ...

I don't like that feature to be implemented. Scoreboard, chat and killmessage should be clean to read. Where would the color to be applied then... probably nowhere so I don't think it will happen.
          There's plenty of proof out there from other games that can achieve "clean to read" chat, scoreboard and kill messages with colored names, how come it should not be possible in UT?

Here:

Chat with colored names, scoreboard with colored names, even kill messages with colored names. As far as I can tell, they have caused 0 issues for me with readability in all of the 2-3 years that I played the game.

It's just an extra and fun way to add identity to yourself as player.

To maintain a clean look, colors can be restricted to a certain palette.

Comment

Where was that proof about readability? All I can say, I cannot red the names properly. It's not about arguing, if they are readable by looking at them, but being able to read it by just a quick look with that much focus.

If you need colors in your name to add indentity, what's the player name then for? It's already unique (online). The only occasion where colors can be colors, as this is not gameplay important, would be the player card (or what it would be called). User-defined colors (even if the palette is ristricted) is still exploitable in every sense.

It's even a way to hide some messages which might be inappropriate.

Such addon could exist for custom servers but should be default.
            ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
            ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Just add an option in settings

1. Mature Language filter X
              2. Disable Colored names X
              Last edited by Bluebeer; 11-01-2014, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Where was that proof about readability? All I can say, I cannot red the names properly. It's not about arguing, if they are readable by looking at them, but being able to read it by just a quick look with that much focus.

If you need colors in your name to add indentity, what's the player name then for? It's already unique (online). The only occasion where colors can be colors, as this is not gameplay important, would be the player card (or what it would be called). User-defined colors (even if the palette is ristricted) is still exploitable in every sense.

It's even a way to hide some messages which might be inappropriate.

Such addon could exist for custom servers but should be default.
                I can read them by just a quick look... I know exactly who said what because I instantly recognize the pattern of the colored name of a person in a specific match. I know that when I vaguely see something blue and green appear in the chatbox, that it's that one player with the blue and green name.

If anything, it's an improvement in readability at a quick glance.

Not sure what this whole thing of exploiting user-defined colors is you're talking about or how severe it actually could be at all. Keep in mind that this would automatically NOT be the case if the palette was restricted... Because you'd remove the colors that could cause exploiting, or why else would one restrict the palette?

In any case, if you can't read the names properly like that and a lot of other people can't either, they could simply add a checkbox for it if the feature makes it in, that way both sides get pleased and no arguing is required.

This is just one of those little things that could be nice to add, it improves player customizability and gives them more identity than just with characters (you can't really get around that, it does improve identity above just using characters).

Comment

I agree, would be nice to be able to customize tags. And for visibility issues:

Originally posted by Bluebeer View Post

Comment

Readability != recognizability.

Of course you may increase the ablity to see who said what but you may always be the "one player with the blue and green name". The complete sense of having an identity (=a name) is gone.

I clientsided option to disable such colored names would work tho. For my taste, colors should indicate what chat channel the ones are sending that message (global, team, spectator, [squad, external, meeting]). If everything is colored, it gets cluttered and the perception is gone.

Comment

but you may always be the "one player with the blue and green name". The complete sense of having an identity (=a name) is gone.
                      Sorry but I really don't understand this kind of reasoning, wouldn't it actually enhance identity? Say if you have Archer32 and Archer88, one being red-green-red-green etc, and the other one being plain yellow, wouldn't it become easier to tell them apart and enhance individual identity?

Anyhow, not looking for an argument, a checkbox will do :P

For chat formatting, there are other ways around it as well, for instance by making only the chat itself colored and keep the individual name colors, or by coloring everything to channel-specific colors except for in global chat.

Comment

I've always enjoyed colored names, here's another good example of its implementation. I always enjoyed the extra level of identity it gives clans etc.

Colored names are accompanied by team color brackets, while uncolored names are displayed in their team's color (see "Carnote got capped by..." on the right side).

I always found the added identity outweighed any loss of clarity from the colors, since the []s were present for clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebeer View Post

Not a fan myself so an option to disable would be good, also as I try to remember did this not cause some issues when it was first used, something about bad character strings which caused crashes?
                          Last edited by GreyNick; 11-16-2014, 07:43 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Coloured nicknames are 90's era relic. Please no - readability is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyNick View Post
                              Not a fan myself so an option to disable would be good, also as I try to remember did this not cause some issues when it was first used, something about bad character strings which caused crashes?
                              I know in XMP the implementation was not perfect, names were colored using ^#(char) (eg: ^#§green would read green) in your .ini, which cost 3 characters/color of name length, and if the name ended with just ^# it would glitch out a little (not game crashing, just distracting). Something a patch would have easily fixed had the game continued to be supported with a simple "if your nick ends in ^# delete the last two characters". This implementation would be easy to recreate in UT4, but also I'm sure in the last 10 years someone has come up with a better way of managing name colors.

I am totally on board with giving people the option to disable it by the way.

Thinking about implementation, having colors cost nick length is probably a smart move to prevent some of the more distracting names.

Comment

Working...
                              X