[CONCEPT ART]: Crosshairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not dead, just been getting over a cold. XP

Anyways, I made a Stinger-Minigun crosshair, was kinda thinking it should work like the UC2 Stinger Crosshair: Primary the inner bars rotate with the dot in the center staying still. Alt fire makes the outer rings move.

Attached Files

Comment

The bar in the middle is so aslant...

Comment

It is, I thought about making it vertical, but I ended up positioning it diagonally. Don't know why I did it to be honest.

Comment

It looks like you're pretty much the only guy doing crosshairs right now, so good work pioneering that empty space on the forum dev.
          I'm not aware on what the Stinger does in UC2 so you'll have to enlighten me there on the outer ring expanding.

Moving onto critique. I think H would be more in lines with Rockets [H]oming ability instead of the spread. and then what if we switch [H]oming function with something else? Hmm like [G]uided would conflict with [G]renades but maybe we won't have grenades or maybe we wont have [S]piral and it can be [S]pread instead. Choices choices. I know you're working on what we've got in UT4 right now but these sorts of weapons can change a lot and then you'd have to do a new cross hair.
          Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-18-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Thank you, coming from such an awesome designer as yourself, it means a lot.

As for what the Stinger in UC2 does, primary fires tiny shards of tayrdium, dealing minor damage, but over time the weapon heats up and fires the weapon faster and deals more damage. Alt fires larger shards that fires slower, but homes in on the enemy. The crosshair for the Stinger had the inner crosshair rotate and the alt fire had the outer ring rotate when firing.

As for critique, I understand, I'm just going what we have in UT3 and the UT4 Alpha, if the rocket launcher does change, I can always make a new one and it doesn't bug me that bad.

Comment

Ah cool! heating up mini/stinger is something I had in mind for UT4. UC2 did a lot of really creative ideas and we should pull from all of UT not just the PC versions. Homing shards sounds a bit out of the realm of suspension of belief though.

Regarding what to call the modes. You can always bust out a thesaurus if you really want, Helix for example is very understandable. The only reason it's called Spiral is because UT2k4 went with that. To avoid the naming madness though I would suggest you go with icons instead of letters at least until we have the rocket more nailed down on what it's gunna do and what things are called. Spread for example is really easily iconized with something like \|/
              Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-18-2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Most agreed.

I may re-do the rocket launcher crosshair soon, try to do icons instead of letters, though I'm not sure what to do for the grenade icon.

Comment

New crosshair time!

The Enforcer Crosshair I decided to work with the Original UT enforcer in mind, primary fires bullets, alr fire turns the weapon to "Gangsta" mode and fires faster. What I did is that when the weapon is used in alt fire mode, the crosshair turns 90 degrees. However I can't decide whether the primary should be the vertical aspect or the horizontal aspect.

Attached Files

Comment

I love you enthusiasm! I am also one of those "dot" dudes, but a lot of people for sure prefer customization. Hell maybe I'm gonna be one too
                    The thing with crosshairs is that it's hard to tell how would they look like in a game. Maybe you can try and put a background picture and a weapon like we are doing with the huds?
                    Keep on!

Comment

Thanks.

I'm not too good with picture manipulation, but I'll see what I can do.

Comment

Hey again SX.
                        We had one of the community guys help us out with that sort of thing in the very first HUD design thread.

You can use the PSD to swap in and out guns and backgrounds then put your crosshairs over top. We're most likely going to have a lot more than just a dot. It's been that way since 2k4 and UT3 so keep at it.
                        https://forums.unrealtournament.com/...l=1#post118208

On the enforcer crosshair. Logic states that because the gun is taller than it is fatter [] <- like this if you want to connect that to the main/gansta modes turning sideways then go with the tall one
                        Last edited by FirebornForm; 11-19-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks Fireborn. For both the PSD and the advice.

I will need to redo the stinger crosshair, as it looks a bit off when rotating it.

Comment

Redid the Stinger Crosshair, now the cross inside spins when the primary fire is used and the outer rings spins when the alt fire is used.

I also put it with the stinger pic, so you could see how it look with the Stinger of UT3.

Attached Files

Comment

New stinger xhair looks much more traditional though for a stinger crosshair I do like how the ends of it are sharpened like the stinger crystal bullets.

Do note that the stinger is widely inaccurate so maybe the second circle can be the spread instead of secondary. Secondary stinger is pretty much 100% accurate.

Comment

Noted. Probably instead of the inner cross rotating, it could bloom and spread apart, showing how inaccurate it becomes. But then it would be like every other crosshair in modern FPS'.

Comment

Working...
                                X