Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coders unite! Let's build a horizontal weapon bar template!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coders unite! Let's build a horizontal weapon bar template!

Hey guys! I'm opening this thread since I know I'm not the only one that wants to have an horizontal weaponbar but there's one little problem in that..

I've talked with Joe Wilcox the other day and he told me that he is not planning to build a horizontal "template" that could be re-skinned in various HUDs in the near future, or probably ever. He's just focused on building the vertical one.

He also told me that I could build one myself, but that would pretty hard ( and even harder for me, since I have never worked with anything like the UE ). Either in blueprints and/or c++.

So why don't we work together to build a basic working horizontal bar, that could be then shared with other HUD designers? Everyone would gain from this collaboration.

The basic HUD system is still not out but it's coming. Because of this I'm trying to get as much attention as I can on the matter, so that we can start working on this ASAP.

Let's do this!

To be fair, what I said was it would be harder than just reskinning the default HUD. The new system should hopefully make changing some art here and there simple but the weapon bar is always a special case. It will still be 100% possible to build a horz. weapon bar in Blueprint (not that I would want to) so you can go that route or you can find someone to do it in C++.

Comment

Isn't that what I said in the first post?

Well in any case, thanks for clearing that out to everyone! seems like I wasn't really exhaustive enough I wrote the post in a rush so I missed some infos.
      Last edited by piemo; 12-09-2014, 11:19 AM.

Comment

It's probably better to unite for a customization of the default HUD first (Widget placement via a drag'n'drop system, scaling with sizers, etc.).
        ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
        ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

I would be interested in a horizontal bar, since I feel like the vertical bar is using screen real estate that is more valuable than the bottom of the screen, but at the moment I have a pretty big backlog of things I want to work on so I don't know when I'd want to look into this.
          Join Project: Open Tournament: OpenTournamentGame.com | Project Trello | Discord | YouTube

Subscribe to /r/UnrealSeries - The subreddit for free & uncensored discussion of Unreal series games!

Unreal Prime Weapons: Impact Hammer | Enforcer | BioRifle | Shock Rifle | Link Gun | Ripper | Minigun | Flak Cannon | Rocket Launcher | Sniper Rifle | Grenade Launcher | Dispersion Pistol

Comment

Once Joe has the new system committed we can take a look at this.
            BeyondUnreal Podcast
            r/UnrealTournament Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
              It's probably better to unite for a customization of the default HUD first (Widget placement via a drag'n'drop system, scaling with sizers, etc.).
              This is very true, the horizontal bar thing could be a part of this bigger project, HUD customization would be one heck of a feature if done right, and as always I can point to Xonotic if you want to see the concept in action.
              Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Pretty disappointing that Epic/Joe isn't going to even bother with a horz bar. I mean I don't need to have it right this second but it's something people will come to expect with the final game. I'm no programmer but wouldn't the horizontal bar just be changing the placement of the vertical bar boxes? Well not entirely. I know that some of the work would have to be re-done for a horz bar, the box containers on how things are laid out would most likely need to be shifted around but it's still not a huge deal and it might work fine with horz placement for vertical bars.

Comment

It's a design decision. Probably to create something new. Once the HUD is implemented, custom HUDs will probably be created with days/weeks for every needs (sadly, as this would mean to loose identity...).
                  ] Map Scaler Tool | Betrayal for UT4 | No Spawn Protection | No Pickup Timer | BioLauncher (revived) | ForcePickupSpawn | Map cosmetics::P | Safe Spawn::P | Why numbers for Health/Armor suck!::ANALYSIS/CONCEPT
                  ] UT3 Addons: NoMoreDemoGuy | PickupRespawnTweak | Mutate Spec | MutePawnSounds | NoPlayerBeacon | Epic FTW | Epic FOCK | TripodSound (... and many more)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                    It's a design decision. Probably to create something new. Once the HUD is implemented, custom HUDs will probably be created with days/weeks for every needs (sadly, as this would mean to loose identity...).
                    no. If someone wants to implement some different mechanic in his hud, it's his job to program it. Epic has nothing against weapon bar, it's just that we have to build one by ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X