New icons for the main menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONCEPT ART] New icons for the main menu

Looking at the current icons used in the main menu I thought these can be improved to make them less confusing and complex.

I replaced those icons that weren't clear enough with more common designs and simplified the rest of designs. I also added margins to make the bar look less cramped.

Here's what I come up with:

Sign-in icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.SignIn.png
Views:	1
Size:	579 Bytes
ID:	355179

Info icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.About.png
Size:	520 Bytes
ID:	355180

Exit to desktop icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.Exit.png
Size:	487 Bytes
ID:	355182

Home icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.Home.png
Size:	339 Bytes
ID:	355183

Friends icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.Online.png
Size:	429 Bytes
ID:	355184

Settings icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.Settings.png
Size:	552 Bytes
ID:	355185

Sign-out icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.SignOut.png
Size:	369 Bytes
ID:	355186

Stats icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.Stats.png
Size:	180 Bytes
ID:	355187

Chat icon: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.Chat36.png
Size:	294 Bytes
ID:	355181

Note that these have no alpha, as otherwise they become invisible in the post. Proper transparent PNGs could be found here: http://1drv.ms/1DxNmfH

EDIT:

Here's a quick mock-up, although I'm not quite sure about the scaling - new icons are ~30% smaller than original ones:
    [screenshot]https://forums.unrealtournament.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11963&d=1424101844[/screenshot]

Click image for larger version

Name:	MockUP.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	355188
    Last edited by _Lynx; 02-16-2015, 11:52 AM.
    "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
    - RenegadeRetard

Excellent. I vote for getting rid of the confusing red X no matter what lol...
    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Yes very cool Idea for the Main Menu

Comment

Not bad though I'm not a fan of the logon/logoff ones, but the icons we are using are unified across several Epic projects. I'm happy to send these to the powers that be but I don't foresee us changing those icons anytime soon.

Comment

Can you please get rid of the red X if nothing else? It is confusing especially when you aren't on the home page (i.e. in the credits) or have the friends menu open.
          HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
          BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWilcox View Post
            Not bad though I'm not a fan of the logon/logoff ones, but the icons we are using are unified across several Epic projects. I'm happy to send these to the powers that be but I don't foresee us changing those icons anytime soon.
            Yeah, I know how that can be. If they will change it would be great, if not — oh well )

As for the log-on/log-off I'm not quite happy with these either, but IMO they convey the function of the button much better than original icons. The problem with those is that pretty much everywhere paired brackets are used to represent strength of signal and I didn't connect that to online/offline until after I clicked the button

May be a paired option based on sign-out icon?

Sign-out: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.SignOut.png
Size:	347 Bytes
ID:	334654
            Sign-in: Click image for larger version

Name:	UT.Icon.SignIn.png
Size:	425 Bytes
ID:	334655

P.S. Added these to archive linked in the first post.
            Last edited by _Lynx; 02-17-2015, 03:35 AM.
            "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
            - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Yea, Logon/Logout is a tough set. Eric (the artist doing some of the icon work) had a hard time with them too. I'm OK with where they are at but they aren't amazing. So hard to convey.

Comment

Saw the new icons, these are great!
                - RenegadeRetard

Comment

Yea, I'm really happy with the direction the menus took. We got a UI Artist in and Erik did a good job pulling the feel together. Did it in the last week too. Crazy week.

Comment

get some rest joe!

Comment

Working...
                    X