Main menu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main menu

I've started working on a main menu system using Slate UI.

Purely the coding side of things, so it won't look too pretty, if anyone wants to propose some UI designs that'd be good

I guess I'll just start with

Single player game
    Options
    Exit

heh

Most people want simple and functional

UT99s menu was well recieved, well laid out with familliar windows and tabs

As for options, the game needs high costomisation, all the not quite standard things like fov, gamma, refresh rate

Later UTs did better for the amount of options, but the layout and designs were poorly recieved

Comment

I'd go with

UT99 background or picture or whatever

Along the top a drop down menu system with;

Bold=menu with submenu options underneath

Single player
      Start tournament(or single player if there is such a thing)
      Botmatch

Multiplayer
      Find internet games
      Host a new multiplayer game
      Open favorites
      Open server location
      disconnect from server
      reconnect to server

Options
      Preferences(including sound, visuals, networking, controls ect)
      Player settings(including charachter options like model, full hud options, weapon options)

Tools
      Console
      Show log
      (i'd like to see an option somewhere to backup, import and export config files either here or maybe in a browser itteration)

Mods
      for player mods

Help
      (things like written guides, FAQ, technical help, links to help pages or even tutorials such as interactive demos or video instructions on playing game types like ONS and CTF)

Exit button somewhere

This + fully modular for mod support, so people could change, add and remove options to support their own mods would be quite nice and imho easy for people to use
      Last edited by tigerclaw; 05-10-2014, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Would the Lan Games be in "Find Internet Games?" I think for the Help it should also include updates for the games. Under Single Player you need to have a Save Tournament Game and Load Tournament Game. Under Options, you should include a weapons/vehicles describing what they do and their function.
        History: UT99 (2003 - 2007; 2009 - Now) UT2k4: (2005-2007), UT3 (2008-2009)
        UT Nicknames: Shotman, HeatWave, MY_KID
        UT Clan: -={SDA}=- (Sniping Death Angles) and zsu (Zark Snipers United)
        UT Main Menu Design

Comment

you could add lan seperately, or change it to find multiplayer games and have it as a sub menu here

I think the layout is more important than the content, since that can be sorted during testing

Might be worth looking at some menus from other games and seeing what's popular/easy to use and taking some ideas from them

what i've said is basically just stealing the UT99 menu, which a lot of people prefer over the other UTs

Comment

For the design. I vote a throwback to UT99 menu screen. Maybe have the main portion of the screen function like a desktop where you can quick launch mods. Click image for larger version

Name:	UnrealTournament.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	328343

Comment

Originally posted by Mrparadize View Post
              For the design. I vote a throwback to UT99 menu screen. Maybe have the main portion of the screen function like a desktop where you can quick launch mods. [ATTACH=CONFIG]2279[/ATTACH]
              Totally AGREE !
              It's a PC game, the main menu must be like a desktop ... like UT99 main menu

Comment

Originally posted by EnigmatiK View Post
                Totally AGREE !
                It's a PC game, the main menu must be like a desktop ... like UT99 main menu
                Do it like a metro desktop to **** EVERYBODY off :P
                Kitatus Studios - Independent Video-Game Developer
                FREE Unreal Engine books! - http://www.kitatus.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by KitatusStudios View Post
                  Do it like a metro desktop to **** EVERYBODY off :P
                  Yes so I can play on my surface pro! Anyways, definitely the top bar drop downs and sub windows. Though I love the original background, its needs an update.
                  a.k.a Gunner77

Comment

Originally posted by tigerclaw View Post
                    [snip]
                    I like most of what you did, but feel like it needs some revision. The thing I loved from the original Unreal was that Single Player and Botmatch were their own menu entries...
                    Single player

Botmatch

Multiplayer
                    Find internet games
                    Host a new multiplayer game
                    Open favorites
                    Open server location
                    Disconnect from server(Context - display if actively connected to a server)
                    Reconnect to server(Context - display if last action was disconnection)

Options
                    Player
                    Controls (which would allow import and export of configs)
                    Gameplay
                    Video
                    Audio
                    Network

Market
                    Models
                    Maps
                    Modifications
                    Mutators

Help

Exit

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ShHGxlm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	328355

Don't have Photoshop on this PC so excuse the shoddy paint image but it gets across what i'm trying to convey. UT99 had a good concept in the system where windows opened from a menu but besides that it was a awful UI. It was designed to replicate windows 95 a 15 year old OS. We've moved on since then, the main menu should be incorporating dynamic content. I really like the SCII HotS UI design, all the UT main menu's have been mostly wasted space on background images. We run PC's at higher resolutions on bigger monitors these days, there is a nice middle ground between too cluttered and useless space.
                      "Gilanguar"

Comment

What makes you so sure that Epic won't make one themselves? I'm starting to doubt that they actual plan on making this a true community project. it really isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnF30 View Post
                          What makes you so sure that Epic won't make one themselves? I'm starting to doubt that they actual plan on making this a true community project. it really isn't.
                          I don't think it was ever intended to be fully community developed. They already stated they have a core team working on it. I think they're allowing people to contribute ideas, maps, weapons, code, etc.. And they will determine which content gets into commercial release and which does not. At least this is from my understanding of reading their original statement. They have to maintain a certain level of quality in the original product. People should hold off on developing anything until Epic releases more information and we have an idea of where the game is headed.

Comment

they're not going to release a game to the public without a UI....

if they want to make the 'core' of the game that'll mean at least

game mechanics
                            full weapon set
                            some models
                            some maps
                            core game types(read popular 5-6)
                            exe game with UI
                            at least basic multiplayer support like dedi servers and a server browser

you'll probably see much more, with the community filling things out with 'content' or total conversion mods

Comment

We most certainly should not have any thing like Call of duty, i mean really. you want a mess like this ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh6KgHISlro its freaking horrible. takes up entire screen, no multitasking, jump back and forth between full screen menus, that are how many levels deep now ?. No no no no no.

New isnt equal to better. Games like Call of duty, everything COD stands for has helped to ruins the genre. Consolified full screen menus. Its like windows 8 called WINDOWS, doing everything fullscreen. On a pc stuff doesnt need to take up every single pixel of your screen. its so inefficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X