HUD Design Thread Part III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[OFFICIAL] HUD Design Thread Part III

We're want to bring the HUD into line with our plans for the current UI and can establish a visual consistency across all elements of the game. In the short term, we're NOT trying to redesign the HUD, we're just trying to re-skin the assets that are already in place. We want a modern, flat look that melds with the overall style here:

Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_CharCustomization.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	357772Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_FragCenter.JPG
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	357773Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_HubBrowser.JPG
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	357774

CS:GO was an influence on the HUD, and DOTA Reborn was a strong influence on our direction for the overall UI. We had our UI artist make a pass at things given those restrictions and while it's still early, I think we're headed in the right direction.

IMPORTANT:
    - Ignore the font and icons for now, those are all temporary, we're JUST focused on the background art elements.
    - Transparency will still be configurable, just like the current HUD.
    - We can move some elements around, but only within the confines of whats currently exposed via Blueprints.
    - Team HUD (CTF) coming next week.
    - The top half of the screen probably needs the most work, would love to hear your feedback.
    - I want to reiterate that we're NOT trying to redesign the HUD or change its functionality in ANY way, only looking to address art and visual presentation. We'll address functionality concerns at a later date.

Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_Blockout UI_Mockup - Greyscale.jpg
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	357775Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_Blockout UI_Mockup_01.jpg
Size:	584.4 KB
ID:	357779Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_Blockout UI_Mockup_02.jpg
Size:	468.4 KB
ID:	357780Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_Blockout UI_Mockup_03.jpg
Size:	545.1 KB
ID:	357781Click image for larger version

Name:	UT_Blockout_UI_Readbility.jpg
Size:	689.3 KB
ID:	357782

Thoughts?
    Attached Files
    Jim Brown
    @EntropicDev
    Epic Games

Very nice! I like this hud. It would be great if we can customize faces and body - here examples (yeah its a bit joke but this kind of customization (without ugly-looking faces) of character will make game more varied)

Comment

Very nice clean hud, I like it better than the current HUD, especially the armor/health area.
      Music Concepts for UT4 (Soundcloud) || Thread || Website

IN-GAME NICKS: Avalanche / <--Archer-<<

Comment

Congrats, it looks less "fluffly" looking. But I still think the UI could have a better immersion with the character we're playing.
        work: www.POLEGAR.pt

Comment

Honestly I'm a big fan of less is more in this regard. I really like the simple straight to the point look. It's already way better than the current placeholder HUD.

Comment

It still looks to simple and side weapon bar is annoying, I never have a clue which weapon I have! The one that everyone likes is made by F51 and I think all of forum people agree on it:

Comment

bass3
              This interface came 11.16.2014. He appeared in the game? No. And sadly, but Unreal Tournament began to destroy their traditions. And Epic decided to start with the interface, making it similar in Quake.
              But maybe I'm wrong and make HUD like in UT 99, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT 3 in 2015 it's very hard)))

Comment

Originally posted by Raixs View Post
                bass3
                This interface came 11.16.2014. He appeared in the game? No. And sadly, but Unreal Tournament began to destroy their traditions. And Epic decided to start with the interface, making it similar in Quake.
                But maybe I'm wrong and make HUD like in UT 99, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT 3 in 2015 it's very hard)))
                I agree, the HUD icons look like Quakelive... and its annoying for me !

Comment

I like the character customization screen, functional and easy on the eyes, intuitive too. As for the in-game HUD I feel like there's just too many plain gray boxes for my tastes. I can see the CS:GO influence, but even in that game they have fading backslates and corners chipped off, it adds detail without being distracting.

For the top of the screen, perhaps you could combine the score information boxes and the timer into one shape. That might make it less symmetrical with the bottom half and smooth it out a little, especially if you add in some details like CS:GO has. You can keep the simple flat design but have it interesting to look at.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by PlasticineDog; 07-18-2015, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                    It still looks to simple and side weapon bar is annoying, I never have a clue which weapon I have! The one that everyone likes is made by F51 and I think all of forum people agree on it
                    Please don't try to speak for everyone, and listen to the instructions in the first post, it's not about debating layout etc.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                    Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                      Please don't try to speak for everyone, and listen to the instructions in the first post, it's not about debating layout etc.
                      I will speak however I want, if you don't like it you can ignore my posts.
                      And I am sticking to my post up, the current HUD is terrible. It looks like it has 0 relations to past unreal games. If this is community game, then epic should start to listen community, and just cause you have some contributor tag whatever doesn't make you above me nor epic team should ignore my posts cause of it.
                      I played all unreal games and I still have them since 1999 and ut2k4 had best hud for me, and almost everyone agrees that F51 HUD was awesome, and I think epic team should go in that direction.

Comment

bass3
                        See? Do you think that HUD Unreal Tournament 2004 - the best? You will no longer be here to listen))))

As I noted, this is not like absolutely everything to do with Unreal Tournament 2004. I wonder why? Most likely sell out failure. Maybe this is a bad game in the series? Everything is possible.

(To PC) Hey, Unreal Tournament 2004, established in 2006, play one more party? And then to assault the Mothership?)))

Unreal Tournament 2004: Go-go-go!

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]18002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18006[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18007[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18008[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18009[/ATTACH]

Thoughts?
                          Meaning of elements are easy to recognize, but the readability suffers in bright/high contrast environments because of the opacity of the background. Current is something like 15-20% and it needs to be closer to 50-60%
                          "Yeah. _Lynx can fire the lightning gun, have the lightning bolt turn a 90 degree corner, stop and ask the closest teammate for directions, confuse the directions and get lost, realize it went the wrong way, make a U-Turn, and get a headshot on the intended target."
                          - RenegadeRetard

Comment

If the direction was to closely replicate those two games's UI then it's pretty much nailed the concept thus far. If the default HUD will be reskinnable in the future with HUD skins being on the marketplace, then I have no issue with the current HUD's aesthetics. At most probably a colour gradient fading to transparency for those boxes might help and giving some of those boxes chipped corners/slants. Framing the box edges with a more solid stroke line can help make the HUD more distinct from the background. Having transparency without framing seems to make the icons and text all blend into the background more.
                            Character Sketch

Former IGN: Omega Lord

"Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

Comment

Originally posted by bass3 View Post
                              I think epic team should go in that direction.
                              There's a big difference between what you said above, which makes it clear that it is your opinion and saying "all of forum people agree on it". Also it's not about being "above" you, but a. I just know that this kind of statement is pointless, and b. find it funny that people can never respect the parameters of a particular discussion:

Originally posted by Entropy
                              I want to reiterate that we're NOT trying to redesign the HUD or change its functionality in ANY way, only looking to address art and visual presentation. We'll address functionality concerns at a later date.
                              How hard is this to process? Weapon bar position = functionality and people incessantly bring it up even when there is promise that it will be addressed later. Why rant at a brick wall when you can present your concerns at a time when they will actually be open to that kind of feedback? It boggles the mind.

UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

Comment

Working...
                              X