Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HUD Design Thread Part III

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Entropy View Post
    Much discussion and review internally and I wanted to share our current thoughts:


    - At some point VOIP and TTS should come on board and that will help considerably

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
      Including the team logos gives the hud some needed class and identity. All the difference between looking polished but simple vs like a mockup with zero thought put into it.
      This.


      Btw, when comparing the CTF & TDM wips, the red logo moves a bit Just a random thing I noticed.
      work: www.POLEGAR.pt

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Entropy View Post
        - We don't have a handful of set colors that are nicely representative of an object, we use every dern color, some of which are used to mean multiple things. Green is both health and Bio... and Thundercrash... and Link; red is both RL and red team... and damage indicators; purple is both UDamage and SR; etc. This means no frames in the HUD, as the overarching goal is to let the game content provide the color and keep it out of the HUD and UI wherever possible. This is a problem that still needs solving for team games. Investigating.
        - The weapon bar in the mock up is very readable because it removes boxes, bars, colors and all distracting elements to focus only on the one weapon in your inventory.
        I think to possibly solve the team colour issue being prominent on the overall HUD's tiles, instead of putting the team colour on the tiles, why not try only putting it on the paper doll icon (both stroke and back colour)? For example, a person who looks at the paper doll at the bottom, which represents the actual player visually, will probably think 'well the doll is blue, which means I'm on team blue.' This doll is much larger and prominent than the small team icons that will be at the top of the HUD, so it shouldn't conflict visually. This allows the entire HUD's tiles to be colourless and fully immersive. So essentially only keeping the minimum colour on the icons themselves. It may take a bit of getting used to though since most of us are probably used to tiles being coloured with team colours.

        The only tweaks that might be beneficial for the weapon bar are making the ammo gauges for inactive weapons at a slightly higher brightness/higher opacity and making the weapon icon at a slightly lower brightness/opacity when its got no ammo left, for a bit more better reading. Otherwise, the HUD is pretty much close to done as far as overall aesthetics are concerned, as colour free and simple as it can get, as the direction requires. I think the tiles should just be left as rectangles, since the primary goal anyhow was to have that same shape as the main menu. Nothing fancy needs to be done on the tiles. Default tile blackness opacity should probably be around 50-60 to start with, then anyone can configure it later. The icons are pretty much the same as the main menu's style, no effects on it, nice and simple. The team icons might need some updating to a modern look, like the rest of the icons. But for nostalgia purposes I don't really mind if those UT99 team icons remain as they are. Custom team icons would be pretty neat.
        Last edited by OMNIETY OMEGA; 07-22-2015, 05:48 AM.
        Character Sketch

        Former IGN: Omega Lord

        "Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

        Comment


          #64
          I'm not personally sure about coloring the doll only, it risks making the doll stand out so much when I'd personally prefer it being a more subtle detail since I don't find that very crucial thing to have for starters, it feels more like something for nostalgia's sake. The current setting has a nice balance of colored elements that neither feel excessive or too lacking, it integrates well with that immersive feel of the HUD. I agree on your weapon-war comments, I don't think it needs any major tweaks at all, just very subtle changes and it will be perfect. It already works quite well like that but I can see the weapon bar still disappearing into the busy backgrounds and it being hard to read in heat of the action but I do agree it looks good though. It's just HUD's readability is very important (ideally I want to have both so it's difficult to meet that ideal point where you have the ideal readability vs aesthetic appeal but it's starting to get very close now). Of course I am a supporter of horizontal weapon bar personally but since Epic is dead-set on having it default at the right side I won't comment on that.

          As far as team icon goes, I love having them in the middle next to the score but don't think it needs to be anywhere else. Also I like that kind of default blue, red team icons, the default icons can very much look like the UT99 ones since they are very stylish but I'd suggest custom clan icons can be also displayed but how that works I'm not fully sure but I'd suggest for example adding a "Clan flag" option or something into player profile customization page:

          - Will be displayed as the team icon if 50%(+) of a team's players have picked it (avoiding issues of the flags displayed in public TDM, v/CTF, Warfare etc games unless one of the team's majority consists of a particular clan.
          - Will be displayed as as a texture on the actual flag in CTF! (again only if 50%(+) of a team has that same flag selected)

          Of course it could be manually activated by server admin for example and there could be an "Allow custom flags" toggle but this is just an example of an automated option which is always good if it works as intended.
          Last edited by RPGWiZ4RD; 07-22-2015, 06:30 AM.

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by Entropy View Post
            Team logos are arguably a bit much, could go either way.
            Team logos and running man icon look too close together. How do we know who holds the flag? What about custom images as team logos?

            Not a fan of all caps text. It is perceived as shouting and looks out of place if it isn't title or abbreviation. It's ok to have KILLING SPREE or DENIED in capitals, but not FIRST HALF or flag messages that we see a few dozens times a match. If it was about rectangle shape, it reads as a text, not as a shape.

            Comment


              #66
              Consistency is important in text presentation. If you use caps in half the lines and not in others it comes off looking unpolished.

              UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
              Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by Entropy View Post
                - We don't have a handful of set colors that are nicely representative of an object, we use every dern color, some of which are used to mean multiple things. Green is both health and Bio... and Thundercrash... and Link; red is both RL and red team... and damage indicators; purple is both UDamage and SR; etc. This means no frames in the HUD, as the overarching goal is to let the game content provide the color and keep it out of the HUD and UI wherever possible. This is a problem that still needs solving for team games. Investigating.
                I do wonder why colour is such an issue? There will be maps that are green, some that are gold, others that are blue and even purple... There could even be a map that contains all of the above for all teams that colour so trying to make each thing have its own colour space is fruitless, one of the best things that could possibly happen is less of a focus on colour like the original UT had. The health packs didnt glow but were still reasonably visible etc and while the weapons had colours they didnt have a colour assigned to them so nothing else could take that space.

                In terms of visuals I wouldnt mind the option to have a textless HUD or as minimal text as possible, Im not overly fussed about knowing I have 1 health or 150 armour only how much of a percentage, I think Epic have done this in the past in the background behind the text and icons (with health and ammo) but have never attempted to provide an option without numbers.

                Artistically I think the overall approach is bland, it works for a military game like BF where a minimal art style works but for UT I think it needs to be more scifi, something more akin to the pickup timers even if the transitions only happen when you spawn or static fuzz when you get hit to show it is infact a HUD and not your normal view. I would also like options that auto hide things like the weapon bar when not in use, to minimize on screen display when running and gunning, without all the notifications I picked up ammo x etc and just have good audible notifications.







                Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-22-2015, 12:02 PM.
                Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by HenrikRyosa View Post
                  Consistency is important in text presentation. If you use caps in half the lines and not in others it comes off looking unpolished.
                  So let's have chat in all caps too?
                  It's normal to have different types of messages typed differently, especially if some stand for roaring announcer.
                  But I was referring to awkwardness of having "YOU HAVE THE FLAG, RETURN TO BASE" in capitals.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by Bosch View Post
                    So let's have chat in all caps too?
                    It's normal to have different types of messages typed differently, especially if some stand for roaring announcer.
                    But I was referring to awkwardness of having "YOU HAVE THE FLAG, RETURN TO BASE" in capitals.
                    I don't think that's awkward at all. It reads better and is important information.
                    HABOUJI! Ouboudah! Batai d'va!
                    BeyondUnreal - Liandri Archives [An extensive repository of Unreal lore.] - Join us on IRC [irc.utchat.com - #beyondunreal]

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by Bosch View Post
                      So let's have chat in all caps too?
                      User input is quite different from permanent UI text. I think that saying capitalized text always appears like yelling is going a little far. It's also commonly used in conveying important messages, eg. news headlines.

                      The reason we perceive regular people as "yelling" when they capitalize stuff on the net is that they have no reason to be doing it under normal circumstances, such as typing a message on a forum or in a chat. Unless of course they are trying to grab attention.

                      UT4 modding discussion: irc.globalgamers.net #UTModders
                      Contrib Digest | UT2341 - Henrik's UT4 Dev Blog | Twitter

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        I do wonder why colour is such an issue? There will be maps that are green, some that are gold, others that are blue and even purple... There could even be a map that contains all of the above for all teams that colour so trying to make each thing have its own colour space is fruitless, one of the best things that could possibly happen is less of a focus on colour like the original UT had. The health packs didnt glow but were still reasonably visible etc and while the weapons had colours they didnt have a colour assigned to them so nothing else could take that space.

                        In terms of visuals I wouldnt mind the option to have a textless HUD or as minimal text as possible, Im not overly fussed about knowing I have 1 health or 150 armour only how much of a percentage, I think Epic have done this in the past in the background behind the text and icons (with health and ammo) but have never attempted to provide an option without numbers.

                        Artistically I think the overall approach is bland, it works for a military game like BF where a minimal art style works but for UT I think it needs to be more scifi, something more akin to the pickup timers even if the transitions only happen when you spawn or static fuzz when you get hit to show it is infact a HUD and not your normal view. I would also like options that auto hide things like the weapon bar when not in use, to minimize on screen display when running and gunning, without all the notifications I picked up ammo x etc and just have good audible notifications.
                        Maybe they're doing everything they can to make the gameplay at maximum possible visual clarity. The main menu and the HUD are pretty much cohesive now. Everyone complaining loudly about UT3 visually has pretty much sent the message that now they must head in the opposite direction to the most extreme. Down to even colour spaces and simplistic geometric theme that extends to a lot of the game in its current state. I personally don't mind whether a HUD has colour or not, it's a player's skill that talks, not the ability to discern every last pixel. However, I will be annoyed if I can't see elements of the HUD that well. Judging by those static non-HD hand picked screenshots, the HUD seems fine and immersive. Only a HD video showing it in action in a map with various colour/lighting conditions in motion will probably show its true potential. Anyhow, this is just the default HUD, I'm sure some skins will come eventually when the function arrives.
                        Character Sketch

                        Former IGN: Omega Lord

                        "Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
                          Maybe they're doing everything they can to make the gameplay at maximum possible visual clarity. The main menu and the HUD are pretty much cohesive now. Everyone complaining loudly about UT3 visually has pretty much sent the message that now they must head in the opposite direction to the most extreme. Down to even colour spaces and simplistic geometric theme that extends to a lot of the game in its current state. I personally don't mind whether a HUD has colour or not, it's a player's skill that talks, not the ability to discern every last pixel. However, I will be annoyed if I can't see elements of the HUD that well. Judging by those static non-HD hand picked screenshots, the HUD seems fine and immersive. Only a HD video showing it in action in a map with various colour/lighting conditions in motion will probably show its true potential. Anyhow, this is just the default HUD, I'm sure some skins will come eventually when the function arrives.
                          I didnt actually mind the HUD itself in UT3, it was all the text in the middle of the screen I didnt like, Im not deaf and I have the announcer on so I can typically hear them say whats on screen or hear what I pickup etc. I think that was the biggest thing about UT3s HUD and lead to people not being able to see anything behind the wall of text not problems with the visibility of the HUD itself, which did seem mildly rushed. I think thats where Im heading with my recent comments is Epic might fall into the same trap, sure it might start in a better place but rushing things and forcing them out the door and on the world isnt the best method.

                          We are meant to be talking about the art here and I wasnt even being overly critical, I would just like something more visually interesting if we are going to be discussing the artistic merit of a HUD, I already made my position clear on function over form but that doesnt mean form needs to be completely ignored especially in the case of a thread dedicated to art. Visual clarity goes to the function of the HUD more than it does its form, makes sense?
                          Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            I also would like something more visually interesting, I'm curious what they will add to it next as it's so minimal and form has so many restrictions.
                            Character Sketch

                            Former IGN: Omega Lord

                            "Well fans here we are for another edition of the bloodiest sport in the Galaxy. A Tournament where the winners become gods and the losers pay the ultimate price!" - UT Announcer

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Originally posted by OMNIETY OMEGA View Post
                              I also would like something more visually interesting, I'm curious what they will add to it next as it's so minimal and form has so many restrictions.
                              Yeah it does seem very restrictive, I think using bars and getting rid of the text might even open up some doors without adding to the complexity too much. I know not everyone will be a fan of bars but I never actually use the armour counter for instance when I have the doll clearly visible, its a much better indicator of armour than some arbitrary number, how much is shield, how much is vest, etc, atleast the doll shows you roughly. I also didnt mind the including of boots and Udamage on the main center bar either, if there could be come little inventory incorporated there Id totally be down with that. I also never use the timer, I dont need it, the announcer counts down for me even when I have minimal announcements on so I know when the match will end, I dont really need it for anything else, I have a clock on my keyboard and phone if I really need one so I dont consider it pertinent information.

                              Again though, my needs are very specific but I dont see why the HUD has to be limited considering the amount of options Unreal gave with its HUD, it wasnt overly simplistic for the time. I just think the less amount of HUD we can get away with the better, what is there can be pretty but that doesnt mean its visually distracting.
                              Last edited by MonsOlympus; 07-22-2015, 01:56 PM.
                              Upon release, Unreal Tournament 2004 was met with widespread critical acclaim. Several critics praised the unique, fast-paced, fun and challenging nature of the game as its main selling points, while fans touted the post-release support and extensive modding capabilities.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                keep the HUD like Starcraft II

                                Terran
                                Zerg
                                Protoss - I VOTE FOR PROTOSS HUD!
                                Xel 'Naga

                                let people choose what they want. I KNOW I WANT PROTOSS HUD like the one someone created last time!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X